The continued quest for ideal STEP-IN technology...

Old November 22nd 04, 02:54 PM
toddjb

Default The continued quest for ideal STEP-IN technology...

Well, this year we have at least two new step-in options on the
market; one by Burton and the other K2-

http://www.burton.com/burton/gear/pr...p?productID=40

"...The Burton Fusion is equipped with a removable aluminum subframe
that quickly disengages from the baseplate with a release of a lever.
When you exit the Fusion, the subframe and straps stay on your
boots..."

Should give more options since the Clicker HB is out of production,
the normal Clicker is hard to find if even available. There are still
the Flow, Switch and old burton SI...now there's one more that like
the Flow you can use any boot with (and unlike the Flow does not
require you to bend down to engage anything.) K2 has a new one this
year too - the "Cinch." Similar to the Flow but with straps instead
of the big cuff. (already another post about that)

Personally, I don't think either of these two will last, but it shows
that there is a clear market demand for step-in technology and
manufacturers are struggling to find something that works AND is
accepted by the market.

FWIW, I'm strapped into the Burton Mission "toe-caps" these days and
really liking them.

-todd
Old November 23rd 04, 03:24 PM
bri719

Switters wrote:

Those toe straps were supposed to make it onto more of Burton's range this
year, but I've not seen them to know if that happened. My boot is pretty
snug already so I'm not sure the caps pull my foot back any further. I
guess it saves clamping them down though.

yeah, seems like it would make it a bit more comfortable, even with a
nicely fit boot. FWIW, I've seen them on a lot on the slopes already
this season (didn't make note of which models they were, but I'm sure
that's all over Burton's website)

bri

--

* enjoying the karma *
remove LKJSDFJSD from address to email

Old November 23rd 04, 03:27 PM
toddjb

Switters wrote in message . ..

Those toe straps were supposed to make it onto more of Burton's range this
year, but I've not seen them to know if that happened. My boot is pretty
snug already so I'm not sure the caps pull my foot back any further. I
guess it saves clamping them down though.

Dave, Yes, they did make it on more boots this year.

The system works. Odd thing is, they hold my toes down and my foot back,
but I feel no pressure anywhere. I used to like my toe strap pretty tight
on traditional straps which could reduce circulation and make my toes numb.

The toe-cap a lot of times doesn't even feel tight, but son of a bitch, the
the thing works.

Burton should just sell the toe cap straps seperately for a fair price and
let anyone easily customize their setup.

Kind of like they do with the Team Skyback highbacks...but those things
are $50, that's almost half the cost of a binding!

-t
Old November 23rd 04, 04:28 PM
Switters

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 16:24:10 GMT, bri719
allegedly wrote:

but I'm sure that's all over Burton's website

I wouldn't know. They're site isn't viewable to me, hasn't been for
years. I guess they're still using flash for gimmicks over content.

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Securing your e-mail

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://rssFAQ.org/
Old November 23rd 04, 04:42 PM
bri719

Switters wrote:

I wouldn't know. They're site isn't viewable to me, hasn't been for
years. I guess they're still using flash for gimmicks over content.

yeah...most manufacturers do, it provides them a way to add the hip or
coolness factor (music + graphics) with little effort. I don't go to
many of those sites, but just try to deal with when I have to...

bri

Old November 24th 04, 04:04 AM
toddjb

"Michael G. Matola" wrote in message ...
Google turns up at least one place selling the Technine version separately:

http://www.snowboardsusa.com/Technin...eToeStraps.htm

Nice! Thanks for the link.
Old November 24th 04, 07:55 AM
Switters

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 18:31:35 GMT, "Michael G. Matola"
allegedly wrote:

Here's an article that talks about these toe-straps and the connection
between Burton and Technine:

http://www.snowboardermag.com/news/brtntch/

Lucky for Technine! The worry about going up against Burton must have been
considerable. I wonder what the *real* story was.