spring weather jacket (shell)

Old January 15th 04, 01:21 AM
pigo

"Monique Y. Herman" wrote in message

I returned the REI jacket -- after a day's reflection, it just wasn't
what I wanted. It seemed like a great rain jacket, but not suited for
skiing. I picked up the EMS shell I mentioned befo

That looks alot more useable to me. You wear that on a spring day with a T
underneath and 1/2 unzipped, you'll be fine. If it gets cold you can throw a
sweatshirt on underneath and be warm.

pigo

Old January 15th 04, 01:57 AM
Richard Walsh

"Monique Y. Herman" wrote in
:

Okay, now I'm confused. What is Sierra and how does it relate to EMS?

It doesn't. Sierra Trading Post (sierratradingpost.com) is an
overstock and closesout liquidator located in Cheyenne, Wyoming.

Good prices (up to 70% off) on name brands, usually best off-
season, etc.

I regularly get both their printed catalogs and an email
catalog. Another good place for discount outdoor stuff is
Campmor in Saddle River, NJ.

RW

Old January 15th 04, 05:17 PM
Monique Y. Herman

On 2004-01-15, pigo penned:

"Monique Y. Herman" wrote in message

I returned the REI jacket -- after a day's reflection, it just wasn't
what I wanted. It seemed like a great rain jacket, but not suited
for skiing. I picked up the EMS shell I mentioned befo

That looks alot more useable to me. You wear that on a spring day with
a T underneath and 1/2 unzipped, you'll be fine. If it gets cold you
can throw a sweatshirt on underneath and be warm.

Yup. I think it will even be good for most ski days around here, with a
thermal top and a turtleneck beneath it.

--
monique

Old January 15th 04, 05:51 PM
MattB

On 2004-01-14, Bob Lee penned:
Monique Y. Herman wrote:

Sierra Trading Post can be a good on-line source for inexpensive
quality skiing apparel. Closeouts mostly, with a lot of high-end
brands: http://tinyurl.com/3c2cb

Thank you, but I'm loathe to buy clothing online. You just can't tell
exactly how it will fit or how good the quality is. And if I find
something in a bricks-n-mortar store, I feel like I need to support
physical shops by buying there.

I returned the REI jacket -- after a day's reflection, it just wasn't
what I wanted. It seemed like a great rain jacket, but not suited for
skiing. I picked up the EMS shell I mentioned befo

http://tinyurl.com/2h3c6

(EMS Summit Parka, Women's)

Looks like a good one from what I can see. Here a shot I just came across of
me in my Moonstone shell I mentioned. This was a on March hut trip on the
summit of Mt. Clover near the continental divide.
http://mattb.net/images/hut2k/me-summit.jpg

It was perfect for that day. It was warm at base camp (above freezing) and
the climb was pretty physically demanding. It got cold and windy at the
summit, and the first few turns coming back down were cold and then it
quickly warmed up. With all these changes I was sweating and then cold and
then sweating again. The breathability and pit zips definitely came in
handy.

This skiing was lousy, but it was a good time anyway.

Matt

Old January 15th 04, 10:57 PM
Monique Y. Herman

On 2004-01-15, MattB penned:
Monique Y. Herman wrote:

Looks like a good one from what I can see. Here a shot I just came
across of me in my Moonstone shell I mentioned. This was a on March
hut trip on the summit of Mt. Clover near the continental divide.
http://mattb.net/images/hut2k/me-summit.jpg

Very cool!

It was perfect for that day. It was warm at base camp (above freezing)
and the climb was pretty physically demanding. It got cold and windy
at the summit, and the first few turns coming back down were cold and
then it quickly warmed up. With all these changes I was sweating and
then cold and then sweating again. The breathability and pit zips
definitely came in handy.

This skiing was lousy, but it was a good time anyway.

Lousy skiing is generally better than no skiing at all =)

--
monique

Old January 15th 04, 10:57 PM
Monique Y. Herman

On 2004-01-15, Richard Walsh penned:
"Monique Y. Herman" wrote in
:

Okay, now I'm confused. What is Sierra and how does it relate to EMS?

It doesn't. Sierra Trading Post (sierratradingpost.com) is an
overstock and closesout liquidator located in Cheyenne, Wyoming.

Oh. Okay, makes sense now.

Good prices (up to 70% off) on name brands, usually best off- season,
etc.

Neat! I would still be highly disinclined to order most stuff without
having tried it on, but if I found it elsewhere or for long john type
stuff ...

Thanks for the pointer =)

Old January 16th 04, 06:03 PM
pigo

"Monique Y. Herman" wrote in message

I have a 3/4 length Marmot shell. I can wear it with *all* the stuff in
sub-zero or with a long sleeve T in spring. Pockets, vents, hood, powder
skirt. It retailed for about $350. I thing you can get them in generic
brands with generic "goretex" now for around $200.

That one you got looks like it might be a little short. But you know best.

pigo

Old January 16th 04, 06:04 PM
GR

I have had good luck with a lot of things from www.sportsmansguide.com . A
lot is surplus and hunting oriented, but lots more beyond that also. I got a
Suisse Sport Jacket (WX2-76347) which has pit vents, a whole lot of pockets,
wicking mesh lining (if you take out the removable fleece lining), which
seems to work well for xc ski use.
gr
"Monique Y. Herman" wrote in message
So, I have a Couloir ski jacket from several years ago. It has many
features: It has oodles of pockets. It covers my butt and has a powder
skirt. It fits. It's comfy. It looks good. It's warm. For Maine and
A-Basin, it's great.

Did I mention it's warm? God, is it warm. Toasty. Roasting. This
weekend, which was sunny with highs in the mid-30s and no wind, I
stripped down to just a synth thermal shirt, foregoing the usual
turtleneck, and I was *still* sweating by the first few turns.
(Granted, it was a mogul run, and some of that sweat was certainly from
fear.) It finally occurs to me that I can't strip much farther than
that without peeling off layers of skin.

This problem is pretty new to me, as my life is spent seeking out extra
layers, blankets, and hot beverages to keep myself from freezing. I'm
practically cold-blooded; that is to say, my circulation doesn't
circulate very well.

Anyhoo. My s.o. gave me a $100 REI gift certificate for Christmas, and
he recently suggested that maybe I should hunt down a lightweight shell
for spring conditions. Something wind- and waterproof with no liner
whatsoever. Being soaked in sweat on the lift is just no fun.

Off I go ...

So, apparently, lightweight stuff is just as expensive as heavy stuff.
Furthermore, lightweight stuff does not tend to have much in the way of
pockets. Women's lightweight stuff appears to be designed without any
thought to fitting layers underneath, not to mention the truly butt-ugly
shades of grey and beige that seem to be preferred. Men's lightweight
stuff is much roomier, except in the hips, which makes it difficult to
zip up.

I finally settled on this:

http://tinyurl.com/2qk6z

(REI Ultra Light Jacket, Women's XL)

$125. One breast pocket and two huge hand-level pockets, but no inside
pockets or arm pockets. It comes down far enough over my snow pants
that I'm not worried about wind sneaking in the sides. The hood is
removeable, and will certainly be removed, as it won't fit over my
helmet, anyway. It has *huge* pit vents; more like full arm and side
vents.

It sure seems like a lot of money, but there were much more expensive
options, and anyway, I could use this both as a generic rain jacket and
as a cycling layer (neither of which I currently own).

The question: does anyone have experience with this or similar styles of
jackets being used for skiing? Could anyone share their advice,
alternate suggestions, etc?

Sorry for the great american novel.

--
monique

Old January 16th 04, 06:17 PM
Monique Y. Herman

On 2004-01-16, GR penned:
I have had good luck with a lot of things from www.sportsmansguide.com . A
lot is surplus and hunting oriented, but lots more beyond that also. I got a
Suisse Sport Jacket (WX2-76347) which has pit vents, a whole lot of pockets,
wicking mesh lining (if you take out the removable fleece lining), which
seems to work well for xc ski use.
gr

Thanks for the link!

--
monique

Old January 16th 04, 06:20 PM
F. Plant

"Monique Y. Herman" wrote in message
snip
One feature I like is mesh inside my pit zips. Helps keep snow out when you
do a tumble. Not a deal breaker, though if you want you can have a
seamstress put them in. For that matter I've had complete pit zips put into
jackets that were otherwise fantastic deals. Also hoods detached, etc
(depends how things are made to start with). Sometimes stores will even
give you the name of the shop they deal with for their in store repairs -you
tend to get good work and good prices which is why the store deals with
them. If they do a lot of sportswear, some even are equiped to tape seams,
but they tend to be pricier shops. Dosn't hurt to find one though in case
you need something repaired in a hurry.

F.Plant