Downhill Racer

Old February 16th 06, 01:53 AM

In article ,
Mary Malmros wrote:

Your advice on how to give TV interviews is all well and good...unless,
of course, it should turn out that the actual "that" isn't what you
think it is.

I was too busy skiing that day to watch 60 minutes. You need to go ski.
Your spending way to much time with this Usenet dreck. The bottom line
is watching your ass in front of a camera is a learned skill. After all the
**** is done flying off the fan, maybe Miller has learned to watch himself
more closely. And hell, I'd buy him a beer next time he's in town training.
What the ****.
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old February 16th 06, 02:50 AM

Jeff Davis wrote:

In article ,
Mary Malmros wrote:

a few "I don't get its" that indicate that your knowledge of the current
state of the sport is not that extensive. That's no sin -- until you
make statements that are just plain wrong, and then what? Should
everyone sit on their hands because you were watching ski racing
(perhaps) before some of us were born? Usenet doesn't work that way.

What's up with your Mary? PMS? What?

What's up with you Jeff? Sexism? What?

Lighten up. Go ski. It snowed didn't it. Jesus.

That's what I was doing today. What about you?

Old February 16th 06, 02:58 AM

Jeff Davis wrote:
In article ,
Mary Malmros wrote:

Your advice on how to give TV interviews is all well and good...unless,
of course, it should turn out that the actual "that" isn't what you
think it is.

I was too busy skiing that day to watch 60 minutes.

I was skiing that day too, but 60 Minutes is on at something like 9 pm
or whenever the football gets over. I wasn't skiing at 9 pm, I admit.

You need to go ski.

Look, Jeff. You didn't watch the show, or read any of the articles that
cited quotes from it, so here's the summary: Bode Miller didn't say he
skied drunk; people chose to interpret it that way. In a subsequent
column that he wrote, he clarified that he had been referring to skiing
with a hangover. The links are still out there if you'd like to look at
them.

Your spending way to much time with this Usenet dreck. The bottom line
is watching your ass in front of a camera is a learned skill. After all the
**** is done flying off the fan, maybe Miller has learned to watch himself
more closely. And hell, I'd buy him a beer next time he's in town training.
What the ****.

You're 100% right that it wasn't a media-savvy thing to do. He got a
rude awakening into the dishonesty of major media outlets, and how
they'll mine hours of interview for a few seconds of material that can
be used to manufacture a controversy. I think he's learned his lesson;
he's not talking to the media any more than is absolutely necessary.
Now they'll probably all start calling him "rude". Sounds like he's
damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old February 16th 06, 04:16 AM

I heard an interview with him saying he raced with a hang over, I
think that is the same interview that
Jeff is speaking about.

Right. Help me out with this. "Drunk". "Hangover". "Drunk".
"Hangover". No matter how many times I look at them, they're still not
the same word. Can you clarify for me?

Yes, they are not the same word nor the same meaning. Never said, hang over
means drunk that is your statement.

IIRC he never used the word "hangover," either. These guys should find
another dog to kick.

Right you are. He said "wasted", which these guys insist must mean
"drunk".

Explain to the world what is meant by "wasted" when one uses it to describe
his state of being after drinking?

I gotta go find my tiger balm now. The same little kid ran into me twice
today, at full speed (into the same part of my body even, giving me a
Lindsay Kildow wannabee bruise on my right hip), and I'm really wasted.

Sorry about the hip bruise, hope you a speedy recovery.

Maybe he did say he competed "wasted" which is much worse than a hang over.
Hang over generally means
one has a headache and feels like crap in recovery from being drunk. If
someone is drinking and says to you, "I'm wasted". does it mean he is sober,
drunk or feeling on top of his game? Well, I wasn't the one that said he
was "wasted" nor did I say he was drunk. If one uses the term "wasted" as
Mary just did, wouldn't it mean they are not at the top of their game, thus
their performance if competing would not be top notch?

"These guys"? If you are referring to me as part of "these guys" I am not
the one that is saying anything bad about Bode.
I was only pointing out maybe Jeff was referring to the interview that I
heard on TV. So who is kicking the dog?

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old February 16th 06, 04:51 AM

Jeff Davis wrote:
Go ski. It snowed didn't it.

You back at JH? How's your snow? Worth a road trip?

Old February 16th 06, 05:24 AM

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

The level of discipline I expect from an Olympic athlete is whatever
level allows them to succeed. I don't see any evidence that Miller is
being negligent.
(snip)
According to this article

http://www.nysun.com/article/27442?page_no=2

Miller said he "had a couple beers but then was in early" Saturday
night.

He was clearly negligent. If he'd had a great night, drunk the pub dry and
danced til dawn, maybe he'd have won! Going to bed without sufficient beer
was what did him in.

--
ant
New Panasonic FZ30 forum...

Old February 16th 06, 05:25 AM

Mary Malmros wrote:
Chuck wrote:

lal_truckee wrote:

Chuck wrote:

*are* exercising the level of discipline demanded by
Olympic competition.

Are you under the impression that the Olympics are more demanding than
the World Cup?

Not more demanding, but more important to Bode. That's my read on his
statement that he wasn't racing (in Garmisch I think) in order to "focus
on the Olympics".

That wouldn't be my exact interpretation. He had the record for most
consecutive WC races -- he hadn't missed one since, I think, 2001 when
he got hurt, right? My read between the lines, and I could be wrong,
was that a lot of people said to him, "You need to take some time off."
IOW, you need to either choose your time to take a break, or the time
is gonna choose you, and it won't be pretty.

The Olympics are _not_ more demanding than the World Cup. It takes
much, much more to win a discipline WC than to win a single Olympic gold
medal. But if you try to consider the Olympics as if it were just
another big race week with races in every discipline, that doesn't work
either, because there's so much more brouhaha, more difficult logistics,
more obligations outside the race and the preparation for the race, etc.
It's the overhead that makes the Olympics stand out, from a difficulty
perspective.

Why don't you and Chuck get married so that you can talk to each other
somewhere else but not on this newgroups .... you two are boring ....

Old February 16th 06, 05:26 AM

Mary Malmros wrote:
Jeff Davis wrote:

In article ,
Mary Malmros wrote:

a few "I don't get its" that indicate that your knowledge of the
current state of the sport is not that extensive. That's no sin --
until you make statements that are just plain wrong, and then what?
Should everyone sit on their hands because you were watching ski
racing (perhaps) before some of us were born? Usenet doesn't work
that way.

What's up with your Mary? PMS? What?

What's up with you Jeff? Sexism? What?

Lighten up. Go ski. It snowed didn't it. Jesus.

That's what I was doing today. What about you?

Why don't you two get married and stop bothering this newsgroup ....
you're both pathetic ....

Old February 16th 06, 05:26 AM

Jeff Davis wrote:
It snowed didn't it. Jesus.

I spent today skiing with a lovely gentleman from NY, who reckoned that the
Stoooorm of the Cent-ury didn't do a heck of a lot for Vermont. Is that so?

He was a rabbi, and I met him on the chairlift. Skiing is so much more fun
when combined with a charming ski companion (who skis very well).

--
ant

Old February 16th 06, 01:43 PM

On 2006-02-16, Hank Sniadoch penned:

Why don't you two get married and stop bothering this newsgroup ....
you're both pathetic ....

At least there's finally traffic on this newsgroup. Why don't you
make a more substantive post?

--
monique
Longmont, CO