Anyone fancy helping with my ski choice?

Old March 16th 05, 02:04 AM

Default Anyone fancy helping with my ski choice?

Hi,

I am sure I am going about this the wrong way, trying to buy a some
skis without trying them, but it will be a load easier this way.
Thanks in advance for any help, ASAP is good as I want to get them in
the next day or so.

Me - I can manage without much difficulty all the groomed slopes I have
been on in the western US. I enjoy fast carving turns. I am
interested in getting into off piste stuff, but I am not sure I am
going to get out there. I am planing on skiing for the next 3 weeks or
so in the tahoe area. I am male, 5'6" high, 190 lb (it is not all fat
;-).

The skis I am looking at -

Atomic Beta 9.18 Blue 160cm $180 ex-demo
Dynastar Omecarve 07 Speed 162cm $260 new, including bindings
2003 Salomon CrossMax 700 160cm $175 ex-demo
Rossignol Rebel 160cm $95 private sale, used 6 times
Head iSL 160cm $350 private sale, 1 season old and skiied eight days
Salomon X-Scream 163cm $200ish, private sale

I am tempted by the Head iSL, but have some doubts that they may be too
advanced for me. I do not know what this means exactly, but I guess I
am willing to learn (both what it means, and how to deal with advanced
skis).

Any thoughts (ASAP) greatly appreciated.

Old March 16th 05, 02:34 AM
VtSkier

[...]

Just off the top of my head, I'd go for the X-Screams. The Cross Max
might be second choice.Oops, they are 700's. Forget it. You'd want
10 or 100's or 1000's whatever. Foprget the Rebels, or anything else
that's really a low end carving ski. Go for a high end mid-fat for
what you are thinking about.
Old March 16th 05, 02:44 AM

So you do not rate the Head iSL? They sound to me like a high end
carving ski.

Old March 16th 05, 03:18 AM
lal_truckee

VtSkier wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Seen very good results from XScream users - but 163 is too short for a
190lb man in that ski, IMO. 178 would be closer.

OP: what's wrong with your current skis? - off piste doesn't take some
magic ski formulation; what it takes is arcing a decent carve in
whatever conditions there are - you say you can carve; just do it in the
crud on your current skis to start with.

My comment: Get boots.
Old March 16th 05, 04:10 AM

lal_truckee wrote:
VtSkier wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Do you think? Whenever I go to a hire place, they recomend between 150
- 160. I was using Volkl T50 154's (hire skis) last weekend, and I
thought they were good. I really do not have the experience to tell
whether they are "right" though.

OP: what's wrong with your current skis? - off piste doesn't take

some
magic ski formulation; what it takes is arcing a decent carve in
whatever conditions there are - you say you can carve; just do it in

the
crud on your current skis to start with.

My comment: Get boots.

I do not have skis at the moment. I have finally got my own boots
close to the right shape (with streaching). I have decided it is time
to get skis. I want them mostly for on piste stuff. I think it will
be cheaper to buy them than hire them for 3 weeks.

Old March 16th 05, 04:42 AM
lal_truckee

lal_truckee wrote:

VtSkier wrote:

wrote:

[...]

My much smaller (than you) wife skied the XScream at 178.

Within a ski line the manufacturer changes the flex with length to match
the skier's weight and strength. Big strong skiers match the longer ski.
It's not just a length preference issue - it's a performance issue. In
different lines a particular length might be too short in one line, too
long in another; it depends on the design. For instance in a slalom race
ski 155cm might match a 150lb racer's strength but be too stiff (i.e.
too long) for you; while in a carving ski a 175 might be too soft for
190lbs (i.e. too short.) Since each ski line is made differently for
different purpose, there is no proper length for a particular person
that applies accross different skis consistently.

Often rental shops cater to beginners who fear length - who think longer
skis are more difficult to turn or control (not so, but...) so the
rental shop will just automatically recommend a short ski. Since rental
fleet skis (as opposed to demo skis) are already soft flexing skis, the
intermediate improving skier is often limited by his skis; makes
learning anything a bitch. If you're serious about improving rent demo
skis. Some mountains have demo programs were you can come in repeatedly
to exchange skis - it might be instructive to try the same ski in
several lengths one run after another.
Old March 16th 05, 07:03 AM

lal_truckee wrote:
[...]

That is a really interesting discusion of what length to go for. So
how do you decide? It would appear that the X Scream are not available
anyway, so does anyone have any thoughts on the Head iSL? There are
very few references to them on the web, so I guess they are not
popular. They really do sound like good skis to me though.

Old March 16th 05, 01:42 PM
Walt

[...]

At 190 lbs, and capable of easily skiing black western groomers, you
should be able to handle any advanced ski. Now, you might find that a
full-on race ski si more work than you want to do all day, but it should
be within your ability. Anyway, I'd suggest buying the most advanced
ski you can without going to a race ski. You're technique should rise
to the occasion - the alternative is being held back by inferior gear.

So... forget the Dynastar. I had the Omecarve 09 (two steps up from the
07 you're considering) and ditched it because it wasn't enough ski. It
was also fairly useless in crud and off-piste - got knocked around like
a ping pong ball in a dryer. (That said, it was a hell of a lot of fun
on easy groomers covered with corderouy.)

Of the choices, The Atomic 9.18 is probably the best bet. It's not
intended as an off-piste ski, but it handles crud and junk acceptably
well. It does fast carving turns on groomed very very well. I'd be a
little concerned about going that short for someone of your heft, but
others have done it, so maybe it's not really a problem. The 9.18 is a
couple of seasons old, and when it was new it seemed that most people
who tried it had favorable things to say about it. Which is to say that
while it might not be the best ski for you (no way to know without
trying it) , you'll probably find it acceptable.

Not really familiar with the others on the list. The Rebel is not
intended for advanced skiers, but I've never tried it. The crossmax
comes in different models for different ability levels, but I'm not sure
what a 700 is.

--
//-Walt
//
Old March 17th 05, 07:12 AM

Thanks all for the help. I guess I kind of went with the advice, esp.
the last one. I got the Head iSL's for $300. They are heavier than I
expected, but are the sort of shape I was looking for, and are nearly
new. We shall see.