Knee Protecting Bindings

Old March 12th 05, 12:04 AM
Dwight

Default Knee Protecting Bindings

I saw a guy with a special binding that had a rod running up the back
of his legs. I talked to him and he said the bindings transferred
stress from his skis to a harness around his upper legs (kind of like
a seat harness for climbing) and took the stress off his knees
completely. He mentioned the name but I promptly forgot it. Anybody
know what these are?

Thanks,

Dwight
Old March 12th 05, 04:01 PM
snoig

"Dwight" wrote in message
om...
I saw a guy with a special binding that had a rod running up the back
of his legs. I talked to him and he said the bindings transferred
stress from his skis to a harness around his upper legs (kind of like
a seat harness for climbing) and took the stress off his knees
completely. He mentioned the name but I promptly forgot it. Anybody
know what these are?

Thanks,

Dwight

Maybe Nava? http://www.robertsski.com/webpgss/mus.htm (about 1/2 way down
the page.)

http://www.navaski.com/english/attacchi.html

snoig

Old March 13th 05, 12:16 AM
lal_truckee

snoig wrote:
"Dwight" wrote in message
om...

I saw a guy with a special binding that had a rod running up the back
of his legs. I talked to him and he said the bindings transferred
stress from his skis to a harness around his upper legs (kind of like
a seat harness for climbing) and took the stress off his knees
completely. He mentioned the name but I promptly forgot it. Anybody
know what these are?

Thanks,

Dwight

Maybe Nava? http://www.robertsski.com/webpgss/mus.htm (about 1/2 way down
the page.)

http://www.navaski.com/english/attacchi.html

Not Nava. Nava's a whole different thing.

I forget what you call these things, but the idea is as the skier
compresses (bend ze knees, pleeze) the rods stretch rubber bands (more
modern versions may use a gas strut like supports current car hoods)
which returns the energy to help the skier extend. Intended for older
and disabled skiers who have a hard time expending the energy required
for skiing.

I saw two different skiers using them at Jackson in the last few days -
funny, because I haven't seen any in maybe a decade or more before this
week, and here's a query re the system and I independently see a couple.
I wonder if they're more popular as you move east? I'm checking Wyoming
and Utah now - will report if any more are sighted. I never see them in
the west West.

They look very weird in operation - rods thust up behind your butt as
you compress; looks like some kind of crippled insect in use.
Old March 13th 05, 12:23 AM
lal_truckee

snoig wrote:
"Dwight" wrote in message
om...

I saw a guy with a special binding that had a rod running up the back
of his legs. I talked to him and he said the bindings transferred
stress from his skis to a harness around his upper legs (kind of like
a seat harness for climbing) and took the stress off his knees
completely. He mentioned the name but I promptly forgot it. Anybody
know what these are?

Thanks,

Dwight

Maybe Nava? http://www.robertsski.com/webpgss/mus.htm (about 1/2 way down
the page.)

This is the Nava Control Arm soft boot binding combination - tres bizzarre.

http://www.navaski.com/english/attacchi.html

This is NOT the Nava binding of bizarreness fame. It looks like a
re-entry into the market with a conventional binding under the same name.
Old March 13th 05, 05:19 PM
VtSkier

snoig wrote:
"Dwight" wrote in message
om...

I saw a guy with a special binding that had a rod running up the back
of his legs. I talked to him and he said the bindings transferred
stress from his skis to a harness around his upper legs (kind of like
a seat harness for climbing) and took the stress off his knees
completely. He mentioned the name but I promptly forgot it. Anybody
know what these are?

Thanks,

Dwight

Maybe Nava? http://www.robertsski.com/webpgss/mus.htm (about 1/2 way down
the page.)

http://www.navaski.com/english/attacchi.html

snoig

Snoig,
I went to the NAVA site and found this...

"Design development: Nava plates have been developed thanks to
particular dynamic tests carried out on the ski runs.
Chronometer tests allowed the Nava engineers to improve really the
product performances."

This is cut and paste from the page about NAVA plates which
allow the ski to flex as design (sounds like a Hangl plate
from a few years ago which worked really well). But what I
want to know is how using a chronometer will allow engineers
to improve the performance of a product which allows a ski
to flex properly?

A chronometer is a really accurate clock. Nothing more.

Sounds like something written by someone who does not have
English as a first language.

VtSkier
Old March 13th 05, 09:28 PM
Dwight

lal_truckee wrote in message om...
snoig wrote:
"Dwight" wrote in message
om...

[...]

That sounds like it. The one I saw was at Sun Peaks, BC. If you see
one again try to get the name of it.

Thanks,

Dwight
Old March 18th 05, 06:02 PM
snoig

"VtSkier" wrote in message
[...]

I don't think the current NAVA bindings have anything to do with the old
soft boot model with the cantilevered arm they had years ago. I'm not even
sure it's the same company.

As for the ad copy, it sounds like something written by a marketing type who
possibly failed out of engineering school before they took up an easier
major. Or maybe that chronometer can be used to measure how much the
vibrations are dampened by the plates?

snoig

salomon bindings / burton boards Joe Snowboarding 6 December 18th 03 09:48 PM
Mounting alpine bindings Terry Hill Alpine Skiing 26 December 6th 03 05:51 AM
Mount Bindings Schmoe Alpine Skiing 12 November 15th 03 03:02 PM
Changing bindings? David Off Backcountry Skiing 2 August 25th 03 04:07 PM
Atomic Ski Bindings - 4.12 or 6.14 which is better for me? Christopher Luke Alpine Skiing 7 August 10th 03 03:40 PM