gritty glide wax?

Old January 16th 06, 05:41 PM

Default gritty glide wax?

I got some Ski-Go graphite wax very cheap and am trying it out as a
base layer for other waxes. But this wax seems very "gritty" when
applying it -- when it melts the sensation under the iron is of a
liquid with some dust or particles in it. I've used Map Black and
Toko LF Moly and haven't felt that. It's disturbing me -- is
something wrong with this wax?

PS It's not super-hard -- melts about the same as a wax for the teens
F I think.

JFT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old January 16th 06, 08:35 PM

I've used graphite or moly waxes from Start, Toko and Holmenkol and
haven't experienced that gritty sensation. I have also noticed that
some are very soft. I seem to recall (it's been a while) that the Toko
moly was very soft while the start was pretty hard. I could be wrong
on that.

Just musing, probably doesn't apply to the product you're using, but
justy some thoughts that come to mind.... Sometimes when I'm not
meticulous about keeping my iron clean, or the ski bottom clean, and/or
keeping the wax itself from getting "contaminated" laying about the
bench or dirty compartments in my large wax box ( a large multi level
tool box), I will sometimes get that grit feeling under the iron. I'm
generally pretty good about keeping my waxing area clean, but it's in
the garage after all and there are plenty of sources of dust and grit -
easily dealt with, but I'm not the most compulsive or meticulous guy in
the world.

I've decided it takes virtually a single speck of grit to feel it with
the iron, and it feels horribly gritty! I've even shaved the working
surface of my wax to get rid of grit if I've dropped it or know or
suspect it's contaminated with dirt from the general ambiance or
fibers from the old rug I have under the waxing bench. Maybe there's
something imbedded in the wax? Maybe cut off a piece and melt from the
'clean' freshly cut surface that you absolutely know is not
contaminated- - onto a known clean ski, using a freshly wiped iron.
Again, I'm not meanig to imply that you don't know this stuff - I am
truely curious whether that product has an inherant gritty feel to it.
let us know what you find out. Thanks -zeke

Old January 16th 06, 09:28 PM

On 16 Jan 2006 12:35:25 -0800, "Zeke" wrote:

Again, I'm not meanig to imply that you don't know this stuff - I am
truely curious whether that product has an inherant gritty feel to it.
let us know what you find out. Thanks -zeke

Thanks, I'm using it new, out a plastic bag from the retailer and
melting a broken off hunk. I think it's the wax and not dirt from
storage or my iron.

JFT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old January 17th 06, 01:51 AM

Very interesting. thanks. I rarely see the ski go waxes at the shop I
frequent, so I won't be trying it most likely. I like the map black
and the Toko lo fluor or non-fluor black. But I still have a stub of
some old generic graphite (I think it's start) a stub of Toko moly, and
also some 5+ year old fairly expensive Holmenkol fluor/graphite wax
that I won in a contest. I just hate to buy anything new for a
"generic" type of use (e.g. graphite or moly under layer) when I have
stuff in my box that would seemingly work just as well. However if I
see some ski go graphite, I'll pick up a piece just to see if it
behaves the same as yours. Good luck. -zeke

Old January 17th 06, 02:21 AM

On 16 Jan 2006 17:51:43 -0800, "Zeke" wrote:

Very interesting. thanks. I rarely see the ski go waxes at the shop I
frequent, so I won't be trying it most likely. I like the map black
and the Toko lo fluor or non-fluor black. But I still have a stub of
some old generic graphite (I think it's start) a stub of Toko moly, and
also some 5+ year old fairly expensive Holmenkol fluor/graphite wax
that I won in a contest. I just hate to buy anything new for a
"generic" type of use (e.g. graphite or moly under layer) when I have
stuff in my box that would seemingly work just as well. However if I
see some ski go graphite, I'll pick up a piece just to see if it
behaves the same as yours. Good luck. -zeke

Are you in the US -- I'll mail you a block if you want -- it was super
cheap for a kilo!!

JFT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old January 17th 06, 03:10 AM

They don't have a US distributor, just Canada: http://www.skigo.ca/.
Interesting tidbit on their site (Same Roger Knight that runs or ran
Swix US sales?).

Gene

------
2006 US Nat'ls in Soldiers Hollow

Day one of competition went very well for athletes and Ski*go too!
On site Ski*go Technician Roger Knight recommended Ski*go HF C242 with
Ski*go C44 powder. The Men's 30km results were great with 2nd, 3rd, 4th
and 5th skiers zooming in on these recommended waxes.
------

Old January 17th 06, 01:26 PM

A great place to get ski-go (not where I got my graphite) is skiwax.ca

They sell what I think is the best mini ski-bench -- scroll down to
the bottom of this page:

http://www.skiwax.ca/index_tools.php

JFT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old January 17th 06, 04:05 PM

A number of years ago I used some Ski*Go graphite wax that had that
gritty feel. At the time it was a prototype product. We had great
results with it and I was eager to get more. I didn't have any issues
with scratched bases or anything like that. For whatever reason I
haven't used the graphite since then, so I can't comment on the new
stuff. I have, however, continued to be a big fan of Ski*Go and use
quite a lot of it. The C44 is my all-time favorite pure fluoro powder.
If I could only carry one pure fluoro that would be the one. I've also
had really good luck with some of their gliders - try mixing the HF
yellow with HF New Snow blue in falling snow. Good stuff. I'm not a
huge fan of the kick waxes as a do-everything line. But some of the
kickers are amazing stand-alone products that I definitely wouldn't
leave home without.

Rodney Ruddock is the guy behind www.skiwax.ca and he's been very
helpful as the Canadian distributor. Roger Knight (yes, the same Roger
Knight that worked at swix, and pretty much the only Roger Knight that
matters) has picked up US distribution of the line this year. Roger's
got a great reputation in the race community and is starting to sell
quite a lot of wax. It helps that he'll be the first guy to tell you
which of the Ski*Go products are worth working with, and which aren't.
Roger can be found these days at Peak Performance Sports in Portland ME
(207-780-8200).

Zach

Old January 17th 06, 05:39 PM

Zach-
Thanks for the good words. I meant to do this a long time ago, but
since someone actually asked now is the perfect time. Yes I am now
importing Ski Go wax into the US out of Peak Performance Sports here in
Maine. For years when I was with Swix, my biggest fear was that someone
would bring Ski Go into the US. The reason? I had worked with the US
Ski Team and with waxers like Zach who used the stuff a lot and really
liked it. That was scary to me because contrary to popular belief,
there are way better waxes than some of the ones that are popular here
in the US. When I decided to leave my job at Swix last spring after
Spring Series, I already had an email in to Christer Majback who owns
Ski Go worldwide. He was excited at the prospect of having a US
distributor again, so we made a deal and I'm very excited to be
involved with Ski Go. They are a small company that is great to work
with and I love their wax line. As Zach said, I will tell you what is
good and what is not if you ask(This goes for Swix or any other wax as
well), feel free to contact me. My email is and I
look forward to talking with anyone. Until then, have fun skiing!

Roger Knight