any one else stoked to ride?

Old October 18th 07, 01:46 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
jw[_2_]

Default any one else stoked to ride?

Hey,

Anybody else in the Northern Hemi getting stoked to ride? Isn't this the
time of year we're tuning our boards, staring at them, watching
snowboard vids, ogling pix in the mags, and generally barely able to
concentrate on work or anything else due to the impending fun on the
snow?

This place has a pathetic post count, considering how many snowboarders
are out there with Internet/Usenet access. I know, they're all on the
Web forums, but I refuse to visit those.

Myself, I'm getting ready to rip (I don't think I rip, but I've been
told...;-)).

This probably won't get any responses either, and I don't care. Just
that it used to be -- from 1995 -2002, when I used to post and read here
-- people in N. Hemi would start to think and post about SNOWBOARDING!!!

Good turns to ya!

-jw
--
jsw's new england surf site
http://the_urchin.home.comcast.net/index.html
Old October 18th 07, 03:42 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Bob F

"jw" wrote in message
Hey,

Anybody else in the Northern Hemi getting stoked to ride? Isn't this the
time of year we're tuning our boards, staring at them, watching
snowboard vids, ogling pix in the mags, and generally barely able to
concentrate on work or anything else due to the impending fun on the
snow?

This place has a pathetic post count, considering how many snowboarders
are out there with Internet/Usenet access. I know, they're all on the
Web forums, but I refuse to visit those.

Myself, I'm getting ready to rip (I don't think I rip, but I've been
told...;-)).

This probably won't get any responses either, and I don't care. Just
that it used to be -- from 1995 -2002, when I used to post and read here
-- people in N. Hemi would start to think and post about SNOWBOARDING!!!

Stevens pass cam is showing white up top this morning.

http://www.stevenspass.com/Stevens/i...tain-cams.aspx

This PM, I will be going to the annual ski school "fill out the forms" meeting
for our school.

Planning to build some risers for my non-fat board, so I can find out if that
really works to avoid booting-out.

Yep - It's getting to that time of the year.

Bob

Old October 18th 07, 04:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
jw[_2_]

In article ,
"Bob F" wrote:

"jw" wrote in message
Hey,

Anybody else in the Northern Hemi getting stoked to ride? Isn't this the
time of year we're tuning our boards, staring at them, watching
snowboard vids, ogling pix in the mags, and generally barely able to
concentrate on work or anything else due to the impending fun on the
snow?

Stevens pass cam is showing white up top this morning.

http://www.stevenspass.com/Stevens/i...tain-cams.aspx

Beautiful shot, thanks!

btw, I have a snow squall video on my YouTube page. It's from the front
porch of my old apt. in Providence, Rhode Island, USA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc_vD8BKrso

As always, please click on "small size" icon (to the right of the
controls, for those unfamiliar with utube) for best results. YouTube
resolution sucks.

Note thunder near the end...as we say in New England -- wicked cool
storm!

This PM, I will be going to the annual ski school "fill out the forms"
meeting
for our school.

Planning to build some risers for my non-fat board, so I can find out if that
really works to avoid booting-out.

Yep - It's getting to that time of the year.

All sounds good! I worked at Mount Snow, Vermont for a year in 1995 -
1996. Can't wait to get back on the snow more regularly after the last
few years of not much time on it, due to work, etc...investing in my
future, you know?

Thx for the info!

-jw
Old October 18th 07, 05:59 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
cupra

jw wrote:
[...]

Just booked a trip to Morzine, France - now I've got to get all my stuff
sorted, ready!

Old October 19th 07, 01:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Koos van den Hout

jw wrote in :

Anybody else in the Northern Hemi getting stoked to ride?

Oh yeah. Time to check the gear, see what needs replacing (my snowboarding
jacket is showing age and use, time for a new one). Planning the trip (ok,
that already happened).

This place has a pathetic post count, considering how many snowboarders
are out there with Internet/Usenet access. I know, they're all on the
Web forums, but I refuse to visit those.

The web has a good side: webcams! For those like me living in areas that
may get 2 snowflakes somewhere in February, it is good to browse
wintersport area webcams and see the first snowflakes staying on the
ground. For example in Oberlech in Austria,
http://live.flashing.net/skiarlberg/oberlech.jpg

Shameless self-promotion follows...

Ages ago I started collecting links to wintersport webcams at
http://snowcam.org/ .. just never found the time to make it into something
big.

Koos

--
Koos van den Hout Homepage: http://idefix.net/~koos/
Fax: +31-30-2817051 PGP keyid DSS/1024 0xF0D7C263 or RSA/1024 0xCA845CB5
Old October 19th 07, 05:10 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
jw[_2_]

In article ,
Koos van den Hout wrote:

jw wrote in
:

This place has a pathetic post count, considering how many snowboarders
are out there with Internet/Usenet access. I know, they're all on the
Web forums, but I refuse to visit those.

The web has a good side: webcams! For those like me living in areas that
may get 2 snowflakes somewhere in February, it is good to browse
wintersport area webcams and see the first snowflakes staying on the
ground. For example in Oberlech in Austria,
http://live.flashing.net/skiarlberg/oberlech.jpg

Just checked the URL. Cam image is dark...I wonder why? :-)

I also like the snow cams. In the surfing community, as you may know,
cams are despised because they make it too easy for newbies to see what
conditions are like, and possibly as a result increase the kook count at
certain breaks (even those that beginners should NOT be surfing at due
to difficult conditions -- rocky ledges, fast breaking waves, rip
currents, etc.). Part of learning to surf is to learn to check National
Weather Service and National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Agency (NWS
and NOAA - I think I spelled the latter out correctly but not sure).

Snow cams don't really matter that way. The crowds will come to most
palces there are cams anyway.

Anyway, thanks for the link. I'll check out the one in your sig when I
have more time. I propose that if it's snowboard related, and your not
selling anything...it's not shameless self-promotion. In mine, I'm jsut
developing the ideas for the company, and I might only make five boards
total, for me and some friends, so I don't consider it spam. What do you
think Dave? Anyone else??

-jw
--
rise snowboards inc.
vermont, usa
Old October 19th 07, 05:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
jw[_2_]

In article ,
Christopher Cox wrote:

Managing expectations here.

If I may ask...where's "here"? Or did I miss that?

Picked up a new Salomon Prospect for my son as he grew 6 to 8 inches
this summer. Looks like the Phoenix may end up as a show board. Too nice
and stiff for jibbing the park, to short and soft for Boardercross or
slalom. It may find use in the trees.

Damn, talk about a growth spurt! Clothes budget must have gone through
the roof...

IMHO this newsgroups season does not start till the first post from
Arvin :-)

In that case, I look forward to reading this Arvin fellow's first post
of the season...I think? haha.

-jw
Old October 22nd 07, 04:43 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Switters

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 17:10:50 GMT, jw allegedly
wrote:

What do you think Dave?

It's not really up to me, but rather the group.

Generally though, on most usenet groups, URLs in signatures are fine. As
long as the poster is posting relevant responses, then I believe that's
considered acceptable.

If someone starts spamming the group, the regulars will soon jump on them,
if they still have the will power.

http://www.vpas.org.uk/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow.
Donek Sasquatch 162, Prior Pow 181, Burton Canyon 162

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://www.vpas.fsnet.co.uk/rssFAQ/
Old October 22nd 07, 06:38 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
jw[_2_]

wrote:

What do you think Dave?

It's not really up to me, but rather the group.

Generally though, on most usenet groups, URLs in signatures are fine. As
long as the poster is posting relevant responses, then I believe that's
considered acceptable.

If someone starts spamming the group, the regulars will soon jump on them,
if they still have the will power.

I know you're not the moderator...I've done that on some surf sites.

It's just that you seem to keep peopel "in line" here. I get out of
line...look out I'm coming through!!!

I know the Usenet conve ntions etc., just wanted people to know I'm not
trying to sell boards, etc.

-jw