Bretton Woods over-rates its snow conditions?

Old February 21st 12, 02:30 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
gr[_2_]

Default Bretton Woods over-rates its snow conditions?

Went to Bretton woods today. The xcskinh website says they reported 1"
of new snow yesterday and from what I saw that seems true. Now in
checking what they said today, they say they got 2 more inches! No way!

In addition, they seem to groom and then that's it for the day, when it
desperately needed Ginsu-grinder grooming to break up both ice and very
hard packed snow. Skied about 6 miles there, had lunch, then went over
to Great Glen, which had some loser stuff, a bit of hard pack, but 98%
of it was actual snow that moved a bit to give you an edge.
Old February 21st 12, 04:12 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jon[_3_]

I also just got back from there and agree totally.

Also, you can't tell whether or not it's klister conditions or not,
since it seems no one who works there actually knows anything about
ski waxing (they just look at the old Swix wall thermometer and copy
down the "wax of the day."

Still, beautiful scenery, they seem to be the ones getting the snow
lately, and they're generous with professional discounts...
Old February 21st 12, 10:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
gr[_2_]

On 2/20/2012 11:12 PM, Jon wrote:
I also just got back from there and agree totally.

Also, you can't tell whether or not it's klister conditions or not,
since it seems no one who works there actually knows anything about
ski waxing (they just look at the old Swix wall thermometer and copy
down the "wax of the day."

Still, beautiful scenery, they seem to be the ones getting the snow
lately, and they're generous with professional discounts...

Went to Great Glen today and it was truly wonderful! I have been to
Bretton and Jackson, spoke with guys who were at Carters Bethel, and
Sunday river, and we all say Great Glen was the best of all these.

Jackson still has the snow like Great Glen, so it is worth considering.
An old report (one of my group) from Friday was that Bear Notch was also
well covered and nice.