Daily Mail Ski Show - ouch

Old October 24th 09, 05:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe,uk.rec.motorcycles
SaladDodger

Default Daily Mail Ski Show - ouch

On 24 Oct, 17:35, Colin Irvine wrote:
On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 08:38:27 -0700 (PDT), SaladDodger squeezed out the
following:

On 24 Oct, 00:50, Colin Irvine wrote:

I agree. I think skiing is expensive - no doubt about it. I also think
it's worth every penny.

In 1979 I spent £150 on a school skiing trip.
In 1999 I spent £150 at the dentist.

On balance, I'd visit the dentist again, if I was looking for value
for money.

My choice between the two would depend on context rather than vfm.

Fair enough; I'd pick the dentist if I was looking for fun and
entertainment, too.

Old October 24th 09, 05:17 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe,uk.rec.motorcycles
Ace[_3_]

On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 07:47:56 -0600, vulgarandmischevious
wrote:

Ace wrote:

Like a annual lift pass at chf640, which we've just used for the first
skiing day of the season here in Engelberg.

I forgot to say that this is last year's pass, not needing renewal
until December 10th.

That's twice as expensive as my season ticket,

Yes, but you only get to use it at a little bitty hill. Engelberg must
be at least twice as good.

It's a 12-month ticket, as the lifts run all summer too. And includes
a 33% resident's discount. I think it's a bargain, given what we get
out of it. Works out at about ten francs a day.

and even more than the "colorado pass"!

Which doesn't allow you to ski on holidays. "Restricted dates usually
apply to Thanksgiving weekend, New Year's weekend and President's Day
weekend." Not much ****ing good then is it? The "Epic Pass", at $600,
seems a better deal.

We do have an alternative, the 'CentralSchweizShneePass' which gives
skiinhg at 15 resorts, for about the same price, but without the
resident's discount, so would actually cost us chf999, and is only
valid for the ski season.
--
Ace
Ski Club of Great Britain http://www.skiclub.co.uk/
Old October 24th 09, 05:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe,uk.rec.motorcycles
Ace[_3_]

On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 08:03:31 -0600, vulgarandmischevious
wrote:

Champ wrote:

On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 15:37:22 +0200, Ace wrote:

Like a annual lift pass at chf640, which we've just used for the first
skiing day of the season here in Engelberg.

First day of the season already?! jealous

Should have been Oct 3rd, but the early snow isn't yet arriving in any
quantity. Odd weather - the week we got back from Argentina it was
above 25C for at least three days. It's October, FFS!

Bah - it was two weeks ago here.

How many times have you been so far?
Old October 24th 09, 05:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe,uk.rec.motorcycles
vulgarandmischevious

wrote:

Champ wrote:

On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 15:37:22 +0200, Ace wrote:

Like a annual lift pass at chf640, which we've just used for the first
skiing day of the season here in Engelberg.

First day of the season already?! jealous

Should have been Oct 3rd, but the early snow isn't yet arriving in any
quantity. Odd weather - the week we got back from Argentina it was
above 25C for at least three days. It's October, FFS!

It's lovely and warm here in town today. Went out earlier with the
roof down.

Bah - it was two weeks ago here.

How many times have you been so far?

fx:shuffles feet

last weekend I wasn't feeling well, and this weekend we had theatre
tickets for last night and philharmonic tickets for tonight.

Might go mid-week.
Old October 24th 09, 06:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe,uk.rec.motorcycles
vulgarandmischevious

wrote:

Ace wrote:

Like a annual lift pass at chf640, which we've just used for the first
skiing day of the season here in Engelberg.

I forgot to say that this is last year's pass, not needing renewal
until December 10th.

That's twice as expensive as my season ticket,

Yes, but you only get to use it at a little bitty hill. Engelberg must
be at least twice as good.

You're hilariously smug! How would you measure "twice as good"?

It's a 12-month ticket, as the lifts run all summer too.

I had intended to go mountain biking up at Winter Park this summer,
but never got round to it.

And includes
a 33% resident's discount. I think it's a bargain, given what we get
out of it. Works out at about ten francs a day.

Actually, yeah, that's good.

and even more than the "colorado pass"!

Which doesn't allow you to ski on holidays. "Restricted dates usually
apply to Thanksgiving weekend, New Year's weekend and President's Day
weekend." Not much ****ing good then is it?

au contraire - those dates are dates to avoid, as every ****er wants
to be out there!

The "Epic Pass", at $600,
seems a better deal.

We'll do that one next year, I think.
Old October 24th 09, 06:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe,uk.rec.motorcycles
vulgarandmischevious

Champ wrote:

On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 07:48:19 -0600, vulgarandmischevious
wrote:

100 quid an hour? I used to dream of only spending 100 quid an
hour...

Harvey Nichols?

heh.

Where's Blaney when you need him. What did he say those posh toms
used to charge?

15 years ago I was told they were a grand a time.

Was that for "a go", an hour, or the whole night?

You know, I don't really remember.
Old October 24th 09, 09:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe,uk.rec.motorcycles
Ace[_3_]

wrote:

Ace wrote:

Like a annual lift pass at chf640, which we've just used for the first
skiing day of the season here in Engelberg.

I forgot to say that this is last year's pass, not needing renewal
until December 10th.

That's twice as expensive as my season ticket,

Yes, but you only get to use it at a little bitty hill. Engelberg must
be at least twice as good.

You're hilariously smug!

It was probably the apres-ski champagne talking

How would you measure "twice as good"?

Oh well, mainly, I guess, that the range, steepness and length of some
of the off-piste runs here surpasses pretty much anywhere I've skiied.
The Laub is perhaps the most well-known, with 1200m vertical, pretty
much straight down, and an _average_ gradient of 35degrees, with parts
of the main run well over 40 (and steeper if you look for the
couloirs); North-facing, so in mid-season pretty much unaffected by
the sun, and although easily accessible, you need to know how to get
to it, as the entrance is somewhat hidden and even once you get to it
it looks ****ing intimidating with a very steep rutted section at the
top, so you don't get too many wannabes on it.

Also the snow record is excellent, with a season running from October
to late May, and the night life is pretty good too. Oh, and the
restaurants, both on the mountain and in the village.

Old October 25th 09, 12:39 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe,uk.rec.motorcycles
vulgarandmischevious

wrote:

You're hilariously smug!

It was probably the apres-ski champagne talking

You don't need to excuse it.

How would you measure "twice as good"?

Oh well, mainly, I guess, that the range, steepness and length of some
of the off-piste runs here surpasses pretty much anywhere I've skiied.

Ah, well off-piste is not something I've dabbled in.

Also the snow record is excellent, with a season running from October
to late May,

check

and the night life is pretty good too.

check.

Oh, and the
restaurants, both on the mountain and in the village.

check. in particular, had a fantastic curry in Winter Park in April.

The reason I ask is that my skiing buddy, who's been skiing 35 years
and lived in Europe for 10, says that Colorado skiing is the best in
the world.
Old October 25th 09, 08:03 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe,uk.rec.motorcycles
Ace[_3_]

On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 18:39:04 -0600, vulgarandmischevious
wrote:

The reason I ask is that my skiing buddy, who's been skiing 35 years
and lived in Europe for 10, says that Colorado skiing is the best in
the world.

The best skiing in the world is _always_ the skiing you're doing right
here, right now.

We're off out again as soon as Jude's finished servicing[1] her skis.

[1] Always been my job before, but they learned how to do it on her
instructors course, so she's keen to practice.

Friggin' ouch! Marty Alpine Skiing 4 January 31st 07 02:12 AM
Bohemia comments, or "ouch" bdubya Alpine Skiing (moderated) 42 February 26th 06 05:30 AM
Hip Flexors. OUCH Onno61 Nordic Skiing 12 December 2nd 05 02:05 PM
Mail RWL Nordic Skiing 4 February 23rd 05 09:45 PM
Ouch, need a wider board -JPMM JPMM Snowboarding 6 March 22nd 04 04:25 PM