Various

Old November 13th 06, 10:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
Mike

Default Various

* At races, why don't they account for weather in the timed events. The
USSA should hire some type of physicist that would run some type of
mathematical formula that would account for changes in between run of air
temperature, wind, snow
temperature. Wouldn't it be more exact that way?

* What do you think of Autumn skiing? My usual thought is that the earth
is so barren and cold it wouldn't be good. But I skied at thanksgiving a
couple of years ago. And it was kind of like spring skiing. The trail was
60 yards wide and the artificial snow swath was maybe 20 yard. There were
parts where you had to walk over dirt/grass.

* Roadtrip anyone? Late one night I caught this show on pbs Passport to
adventure in which they feature Gdare (sic?) ski resort outside Tblisi,
Georgian Republic in The Caucus Mountains. Looked pretty deserted.

* Is it ok to leave wax on your skis (without scraping) during the off
season. I live by the ocean and the salt air does a jobber on anything
metallic it seems.

* Anyone ever been to a world cup alpine event? Was it worth your while?
Did it interfere with your skiing?

--
"War is the father of all things." -Heraclitus

Old November 14th 06, 01:11 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
VtSkier

Mike wrote:
* At races, why don't they account for weather in the timed events. The
USSA should hire some type of physicist that would run some type of
mathematical formula that would account for changes in between run of air
temperature, wind, snow
temperature. Wouldn't it be more exact that way?

There is no telling for weather. The luck of the draw seems the fairest
way to go. For instance a typical slalom has two runs with combined time
use for final. The second run reverses the starting order as a nod
toward fairness. Keep too many "brains" out of it or there will be
charges of manipulation, etc.

* What do you think of Autumn skiing? My usual thought is that the earth
is so barren and cold it wouldn't be good. But I skied at thanksgiving a
couple of years ago. And it was kind of like spring skiing. The trail was
60 yards wide and the artificial snow swath was maybe 20 yard. There were
parts where you had to walk over dirt/grass.

Ayup (vermont affirmative), sounds about right. Though Bird Day
around here can sometimes be quite good, but can also be awful
and terribly crowded.

* Roadtrip anyone? Late one night I caught this show on pbs Passport to
adventure in which they feature Gdare (sic?) ski resort outside Tblisi,
Georgian Republic in The Caucus Mountains. Looked pretty deserted.

See write-ups in past issues of _Powder_ for little skied
ski areas including Georgia and the Kamchatka Peninsula.

* Is it ok to leave wax on your skis (without scraping) during the off
season. I live by the ocean and the salt air does a jobber on anything
metallic it seems.

Absolutely, and as you say, salt air is especially bad. Have a
an old candle or piece of canning wax around to rub on your
edges between ski trips.

* Anyone ever been to a world cup alpine event? Was it worth your while?
Did it interfere with your skiing?

Never been, but my impression from those who have is that the
view is better from a sofa in front of the TV. The beer
and warmth is better too.

--
"War is the father of all things." -Heraclitus

Actually, if Necessity is the mother of invention, then
Pat Pending is the father.

Old November 14th 06, 03:49 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
gr

Mike wrote:
[...]

For Nordic skis (where glide is considered paramount), it is considered
essential to have a full unscraped hot wax covering on the ski base to
prevent them from drying out and oxidizing in the off season. Also good
for the metal!
gr

Old November 14th 06, 04:05 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
Walt

Mike wrote:

* At races, why don't they account for weather in the timed events. The
USSA should hire some type of physicist that would run some type of
mathematical formula that would account for changes in between run of air
temperature, wind, snow
temperature. Wouldn't it be more exact that way?

The problem with handicapping is that it places too much power in the
hands of those doing the handicapping. Hang around a PHRF sailboat
racing club for a season to get a taste of this.

* What do you think of Autumn skiing? My usual thought is that the earth
is so barren and cold it wouldn't be good. But I skied at thanksgiving a
couple of years ago. And it was kind of like spring skiing. The trail was
60 yards wide and the artificial snow swath was maybe 20 yard. There were
parts where you had to walk over dirt/grass.

I think Autumn skiing is great. The first day of winter is Dec 21, and
I've usually gotten in ten or more days by then.

* Roadtrip anyone? Late one night I caught this show on pbs Passport to
adventure in which they feature Gdare (sic?) ski resort outside Tblisi,
Georgian Republic in The Caucus Mountains. Looked pretty deserted.

Sorry, can't drive to Europe from here. It'd be a plane trip.

* Is it ok to leave wax on your skis (without scraping) during the off
season. I live by the ocean and the salt air does a jobber on anything
metallic it seems.

It's more than OK, it's necessary for proper ski maintenance. A coat of
storage wax is de rigure.

* Anyone ever been to a world cup alpine event?

Yes, many many people have attened these things.

Was it worth your while?
Did it interfere with your skiing?

Yes. Those darn gates were in my way, and they kept yelling "get off
the course" whatever that means.

//Walt

Old November 14th 06, 04:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
lal_truckee

Mike wrote:
....The
USSA should hire some type of physicist ...

See: "The Physics of Skiing" by David Lind and Scott P. Sanders
See: "Universal ski techniques: Principles and practices" by George
Twardokens

* What do you think of Autumn skiing?

Autumn is tough - most of the summer snow fields are melting...

* Roadtrip anyone?

Always. But is it a "road trip" if you fly?

* Is it ok to leave wax on your skis (without scraping) during the off
season.

Obligatory, if you want to preserve your skis. Hint: don't bother with
fancy ski waxes - use the cheapest glop (candle wax?) you can find and
melt it on in copious amounts covering everything, particularly
slathering it over the edges. Don't scrap.

* Anyone ever been to a world cup alpine event? Was it worth your while?

It's your only opportunity to see skiing at its very best. Nothing else
compares. Not for the weak. Leave the crowds, hike up (or ski down) to a
difficult gate where you can get close to the course and study what they
are doing.

Old November 14th 06, 05:45 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
snoig

Mike wrote:
* Anyone ever been to a world cup alpine event? Was it worth your while?
Did it interfere with your skiing?

Been to several, helps when they are in your home town. As far as
alpine events go, you're better off staying home and watching them on
TV. It's a lot of standing around for two or three minutes then *zip*
someone goes buy but since you don't know who it was or what their time
was, it gets boring pretty fast. Much nicer to see it on TV with a
cold beer, fireplace and split times on the screen.

But it's totally different for World Cup areials or half-pipe
competitions. There, you can see everything that's going on, see the
scoreboard and they announce the competitors. Something is always
going on and it's pretty exciting.

snoig

Old November 14th 06, 11:45 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
Alex Heney

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 11:05:28 -0500, Walt
wrote:

* What do you think of Autumn skiing? My usual thought is that the earth
is so barren and cold it wouldn't be good. But I skied at thanksgiving a
couple of years ago. And it was kind of like spring skiing. The trail was
60 yards wide and the artificial snow swath was maybe 20 yard. There were
parts where you had to walk over dirt/grass.

I think Autumn skiing is great. The first day of winter is Dec 21, and

But officially, that is midwinter's day.

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
It's smart to pick your friends, but not to pieces.

Old November 15th 06, 01:25 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
VtSkier

wrote:

* What do you think of Autumn skiing? My usual thought is that the earth
is so barren and cold it wouldn't be good. But I skied at thanksgiving a
couple of years ago. And it was kind of like spring skiing. The trail was
60 yards wide and the artificial snow swath was maybe 20 yard. There were
parts where you had to walk over dirt/grass.

I think Autumn skiing is great. The first day of winter is Dec 21, and

But officially, that is midwinter's day.

Well that depends. Meteorologically it may be midwinter's day but
officially it is the first day of winter being the solstice.

However, even meteorologically around here there isn't much
winter until December.

Depending on where you are the seasons don't necessarily match
the sun's movement. Here Spring arrives about April 1 and Summer
arrives about May 1 which makes June 21 about midsummer which
it should be, but that's the only day which is correct.

Summer lasts through September, which is should with Sept 22
being the last day of summer and then fall EXPLODES about that
week in glorious color for a couple of weeks then devolves
into a couple of months of short, gloomy, gray days which are
finally freshened up with winter's white and cold.

That is northern New England.

Old November 15th 06, 02:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
pigo

"snoig" wrote in message
ups.com...
Mike wrote:
* Anyone ever been to a world cup alpine event? Was it worth
your while?
Did it interfere with your skiing?

Been to several, helps when they are in your home town. As far as
alpine events go, you're better off staying home and watching them
on
TV. It's a lot of standing around for two or three minutes then
*zip*
someone goes buy but since you don't know who it was or what their
time
was, it gets boring pretty fast. Much nicer to see it on TV with a
cold beer, fireplace and split times on the screen.

I've found that the speed event are as you describe. But S and GS
have been pretty visible top to bottom when I've watched them live.

As with anything there is the air of excitement and festivity
attending a live event. The bonus with skiing is that you can see
every skier. On tv (in the US) they only show the top contenders and
Americans usually.

Old November 15th 06, 05:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
Alex Heney

wrote:

* What do you think of Autumn skiing? My usual thought is that the earth
is so barren and cold it wouldn't be good. But I skied at thanksgiving a
couple of years ago. And it was kind of like spring skiing. The trail was
60 yards wide and the artificial snow swath was maybe 20 yard. There were
parts where you had to walk over dirt/grass.
I think Autumn skiing is great. The first day of winter is Dec 21, and

But officially, that is midwinter's day.

Well that depends. Meteorologically it may be midwinter's day but
officially it is the first day of winter being the solstice.

Nah, it is the "officially" I would dispute.

Meteorologically, I would agree - the wintriest conditions normally
occur in the 2-3 months following the solstice.

But officially, the solstices and equinoxes are the middle days of the
seasons, being the day on which progressions in day/night length
reverse (solstice) or become exactly equal (equinox).

As you say, midsummer's day is the only one which actually comes close
meteorologically, although even that here (in the UK) is rather early
- the main summer months are July-August.

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.