30km classic

Old March 10th 05, 02:34 AM
32 degrees

Default 30km classic

Well, just completed my first ski race in 3 years.
The Black Mountain 30km Classic race. It was also only my second classic
race ever !
I've done many skate marathons, the birkie, the noque, etc, but I've finally
learned how to classic so I'm giving some racing a try.
Also, I'm prepping for the VASALOPPET 2006 (in fact I JUST signed up)... so
I need to get some serious racing under my belt to improve efficiency and
classic technique.

First - I finally got to meet fellow RSNers Dell Todd and Greg Worsnop and
both kicked my butt bad !!
Second there are some pretty cool pics of the race at this site... pretty
sure that's Dell in pic #6.
http://www.nordicskiracer.com/Racing...mtn/Photos.asp

Dell Todd wrote a great race summary also ...
http://www.nordicskiracer.com/Racing...ckMtnStory.asp

Here's my race summary.
The race started on a small lake at 24 deg F with great kick. About 10km
into it I was in 11th place right behind Dell Todd at the top of a long
climb. Toward the top I noticed my kick slipping just a tad. Well from
there on out all kick was gone. Seems the temps had warmed to 32-34+
degrees and blue extra wasn't cutting it any more. I ended up herringboning
several large hills and just plain old walking up some too. Over the last
20km I lost about 5 minutes and 5 places to Dell - He had stopped to REwax
with warmer stuff and I didn't. Wish I had now !! Dang it.

The course was awesome. Big hills requiring a combination of kick and
glide, kick double pole, double pole. No double pole festival course here.
I also noticed that my uphills (when I had kick) were great. I was right in
there with the people around me. My double pole seemed a little weak - I
generally lost some ground here. I thought it would be different.... maybe
my classic technique is OK and I just need to improve my lungs and
efficiency a little.

Anyway, after 3 years it was great to put it all on the line again.
Unfortunately they missed me in the results !!

Off training for Vasaloppet 2006,

JK

Old March 10th 05, 02:10 PM
delltodd

JK,

Enjoyed your writeup ! Nice to meet you too. I witnessed you crossing
the line, so I was surprised to see the incorrect results. I was quite
impressed by your uphill striding power in the early going. Well done.
By the way, when I rollerski classic, it's all DP for me, and I notice
I am able to put that to good use in races. Might want to do that for
the Vasaloppett, I hear.

Hey we get to do it again this weekend @ boyne highlands 15k CL sat,
then 15k skate sunday. See you there !

I told Chemical Bob I saw you - he couldn't believe it !

DT

Old March 10th 05, 02:37 PM

Good job, JK! Bummer about the wax. Did you have any with you?

I stopped about 10 times in a half-Vasa a few years ago to rewax as ice
kept stripping off my kick.

I was skiing casually in Tawas while you were racing and I rewaxed to
stay happy.

Too bad there was a results mix-up for you. It's a great course, eh? It
really makes you wish for GOOD conditions!

Maybe we just always need to be READY for mayhem, tho, when doing
longer classic events. It's annoying to carry wax in some suits but I
bet we should. I haven't carried in years, but it's disaster in classic
to have conditions change midrace, so I should.

Regarding DP, the top guys drop me there quite easily but I hang in on
the uphills---somewhat like you. I suppose the only cure is more DP!
And maybe weights and paddling in the summer. I do detect that if I
train DP a lot I do get lots better at it---DP sprints, uphills and
intervals, etc. One year I was basically finally on par with the top
gang. Takes work! Maybe it's the natural runner in you---a monster
upper body is needed for monster DP! I recall info that it's less
heart/lung-oriented. I bet your lungs are fine. Uphill does the lungs!

--JP

Old March 10th 05, 09:43 PM
32 degrees

VERY little rollerskiing this fall Dell... unfortunately.
I'm the XC running coach at the high school where I teach which means lots
of coaching and little working out.
Plus, meets on Saturdays....
Planning on doing more next summer/fall though.
I have heard the Vasaloppet is LOTS of DP.... so will be working on that !

Bob Hughes - tell him I said hi ! That's funny.

Maybe I'll do Sat. classic race at boyne..... maybe Sunday skate... we'll
see.
Gotta tune that motor up a little.
VERY tired after race at Black Mtn.... even tuesday/wed.

later, JK

ups.com...

Old March 10th 05, 09:46 PM
32 degrees

Results shoulda had me at 14th place, 2:19ish. Oh well.

Great course Jeff, you are right. Amazing diversity.
Yes, I had wax but I didnt want to lose time stopping- you know how that
goes.
In hindsight the 45 seconds to rewax quickly would have saved me TONS of
time on the hills... lesson learned there.

Kick and glide up hillls was great, DP needs work.
Hmmm this summer means DP distance sessions on rollerskis.

The guy that had the race of the day was Chris Weingartz - 4th overall !!

JK

oups.com...

Old March 11th 05, 02:19 PM
delltodd

Maybe I'll do Sat. classic race at boyne..... maybe Sunday skate...
we'll see. Gotta tune that motor up a little. VERY tired after race at
Black Mtn.... even tuesday/wed.

later, JK

32,

I forgot about the coaching you are doing. That's cool. Perhaps you
can train with your Top 5 young bucks next fall ! Hope to see you this
weekend if you can break away. Man 14th...that's impressive.

One thing I have noticed about classic is that if you get adequate but
not excessive kick, you have few if any slips, and you cruise thru the
race without taking much out of the bank & recovery goes well. The
worse the kickwax, the worse the bank withdrawal the tougher the
recovery. This one was pretty tough. Even the leaders, right
afterwards, were commenting on how this seemed like a full on 50k in
every way. Ah, me too.

DT

Old March 11th 05, 09:15 PM
32 degrees

coaching means dealing with ALL runners from the 15:30 5km runner to the 33
minute 5km runner.
I used to have just boys and that meant some fast training with horses !
Not any more.... getting old and I've got girls too !

When I was single it would be CC practice 3-5pm with 8 miles of running,
speedwork, hills, and time trials, followed by an hour of rollerskiing.
Now its 4-6 miles of easy running with all ability levels then home for a
high fat/protein dinner. (gaining 30 pounds in 10 years. ouch)

JK

ups.com...

Old March 13th 05, 08:03 PM
Mitch Collinsworth

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005, 32 degrees wrote:

Now its 4-6 miles of easy running with all ability levels then home for a
high fat/protein dinner. (gaining 30 pounds in 10 years. ouch)

Ha! Some of us are with you there. When I went from being a runner
to being a cyclist I gained 10 pounds below the waist. When I went
from being a cyclist to being a skier I gained 10 more pounds above
the waist. When I went from being a skier to being a, um, "person
who doesn't get enough exercise" I gained 20 more pounds on the waist.
Now that I'm getting enough exercise again I've managed to work off
10 of that excess but the 2nd 10 is being rather, um, stubborn...

-Mitch