Is June Mt. Dead?

Old June 22nd 12, 08:21 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Default Is June Mt. Dead?

MMSA official statement --

***
June 21, 2012
Rusty Gregory, Mammoth Mountain Ski Area Chairman and CEO, announced
today the company will not operate June Mountain this summer and for
the upcoming 2012-13 winter season. “June has operated at an annual
deficit each year since its purchase in 1986,” said Gregory. “It is
time to invest some of this subsidy into the analysis and planning
required to position the resort for a sustainable future, then secure
the approvals and financing required to create it.”

Mammoth purchased June Mountain in 1986 with the idea of significantly
increasing the size of the resort by building new facilities,
extending new runs to the June Lake Village, and fostering additional
developed ski areas along the San Joaquin Ridge, resulting in a
connection between Mammoth and June Mountains. For a number of
reasons, these plans were never realized and June Mountain has, in
turn, suffered from an identity crisis that has both stifled its
ability to achieve its full potential and required substantial
financial subsidy from Mammoth on an annual basis. Cessation of
operations will help the company dedicate its focus to a new future
for June Mountain. Mammoth will be working with its partner the U.S.
Forest Service to reach the best possible result in this endeavor.

In the weeks to come, Mammoth will be working to determine if and to
what extent it can absorb June’s year round workforce.

Mammoth Mountain will continue to offer world-class skiing,
snowboarding and summer activities for locals and visitors to the
region.

Mammoth Mountain has operated continuously under permit from the U.S.
Forest Service since 1954, and operated both resorts for the past 26
years. Mammoth Mountain Ski Area also owns and operates a variety of
resort businesses including recreation, hospitality, food and beverage
and retail including Mammoth Mountain Ski Area, Tamarack Lodge and
Resort, Mammoth Snowmobile Adventures, Woolly’s Adventure Summit,
Mammoth Mountain Bike Park and the Mammoth Mountain Inn. Mammoth
Mountain also operates Juniper Springs Resort, the Village at Mammoth,
and Sierra Star Golf Course.
***

Long discussions here --

http://forums.mammothmountain.com/vi...p?f=13&t=13693

http://forums.mammothmountain.com/vi...p?f=14&t=13706

Old June 23rd 12, 03:37 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Jun 22, 1:21*pm, Richard Henry wrote:
MMSA official statement --

***
[...]

Radio interview with Rusty Gregory, the GM of MMSA.

Old June 23rd 12, 04:44 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Radio interview with MMSA GM Rusty Gregory--

http://kiwi6.com/file/71r8xi2481
Old June 23rd 12, 11:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 06/23/2012 03:15 PM, Richard Henry wrote:

On 2012-06-22 20:21:39 +0000, Richard Henry said:

MMSA official statement --

***
June 21, 2012
Rusty Gregory, Mammoth Mountain Ski Area Chairman and CEO, announced
today the company will not operate June Mountain this summer
(snip)
Long discussions here --

http://forums.mammothmountain.com/vi...p?f=13&t=13693

http://forums.mammothmountain.com/vi...p?f=14&t=13706

Feh. I was just thinking that it might be fun to try June this year --
cheaper than Mammoth and probably bigger and better than Snow Summit.

Compared to Mammoth, the drive is a half-hour longer if the roads are
clear, and another couple of opportunities to chain up (or be blocked)
if the weather is nasty. There is really no new accommodations in
June Lake except condos that went in a few years ago, andt most of the
rooms are cabins or apartments that include kitchens. They are not
really much cheaper than low-end Mammoth hotels (Motel 6 or
Econolodge). The lift tickets and cafeteira food are cheaper.

Compared to Snow Summit/Bear Mt, SS/BM has the better lift selection,
JM better trails. Lift tickets and food are comparable. This last
season SS/BM had better snow and a longer season.

OK, I'm not so shattered. Accommodation and food are not important, the
cheaper the better.

Putting on the chains was not a problem, but getting them off was. Must
remember to stop so the split is on the top, like it was when I put them
on. Or was it the other way around? Damn...

--
Cheers, Bev
O_________________________________________________ O

Old June 24th 12, 11:10 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 16:57:08 -0700, The Real Bev
wrote this crap:

OK, I'm not so shattered. Accommodation and food are not important, the
cheaper the better.

You are seriously warped. Do you travel with a fold-up cardboard box?

I've slept in a pup-tent on the cold hard ground in winter many times.
But now I like to sleep in a four star hotel.

Vote for Romney. Repeal the nightmares.
Old June 24th 12, 03:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

wrote this crap:

OK, I'm not so shattered. Accommodation and food are not important, the
cheaper the better.

You are seriously warped. Do you travel with a fold-up cardboard box?

For once I agree with Horvie.
BTW, she travels on a broom.
Old June 27th 12, 11:17 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 14:27:13 -0700, The Real Bev
wrote this crap:

You are seriously warped. Do you travel with a fold-up cardboard box?

Nope, a van with a foam mattress on stilts in back so we can carry
tools, etc., underneath. I just find the idea of spending significant
money TO SLEEP unpleasant.

I've slept in a van many times WHEN I WAS IN COLLEGE. I've gone
backpacking many times and slept in a tent. But not any more. If I'm
not sleeping in my mansion or on my yacht I'd rather like a four star
hotel and I can afford it.

I've slept in a pup-tent on the cold hard ground in winter many times.
But now I like to sleep in a four star hotel.

I wouldn't actually mind it, but I don't know anybody crazy enough to
pay the bill.

You're supposed to pay it yourself. This is America.

BTW, somebody ask Trunky what it's like to sleep behind bars.

Vote for Romney. Repeal the nightmares.
Old June 28th 12, 02:19 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

wrote this crap:

You are seriously warped. Do you travel with a fold-up cardboard box?

Nope, a van with a foam mattress on stilts in back so we can carry
tools, etc., underneath. I just find the idea of spending significant
money TO SLEEP unpleasant.

I've slept in a van many times WHEN I WAS IN COLLEGE. I've gone
backpacking many times and slept in a tent. But not any more. If I'm
not sleeping in my mansion or on my yacht I'd rather like a four star
hotel and I can afford it.

I've slept in a pup-tent on the cold hard ground in winter many times.
But now I like to sleep in a four star hotel.

I wouldn't actually mind it, but I don't know anybody crazy enough to
pay the bill.

You're supposed to pay it yourself. This is America.

BTW, somebody ask Trunky what it's like to sleep behind bars.

Damned if I know, Huggies. What is it like to sleep in diapers, especially after you dream of me finding you and you foul yourself? Do you change yourself or do you have your momma do it?