Skiing in Fairbanks AK

Old February 3rd 15, 09:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

Default Skiing in Fairbanks AK

On 2/3/15 1:27 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 03 Feb 2015 11:53:00 -0800, lal_truckee
wrote this crap:

On 2/3/15 11:21 AM,
wrote:
We got 16" of global warming. In front of my garage
is a drift 3 foot high.

Give me my snow back.

You can have all you want. Just come here and take it.

And that's why Detroit is dying. No customer service.
I expect free delivery, just like Amazon.

Old February 3rd 15, 10:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 02/03/2015 07:22 AM, wrote:
On Monday, February 2, 2015 at 11:21:09 PM UTC-7, Elizabeth Rocheleau
wrote:
Hello everyone.

I have been skiing in Fairbanks for years. I ski at UAF, Birch
Hill, and Moose Mountain. If you are from Fairbanks, or live near
by please share where you ski. I'd like to have some more options.

UAF- great for beginners and tons of trails, cross country Birch
Hill Rec- great for advanced, and has some steep hills, cross
country or downhill Mountain- advanced downhill, can be very
challenging

Thank you

Elizabeth

Sorry Elizabeth, there's nobody here from Alaska and you're barking
up the wrong tree in this newsgroup because the majority of people
here don't really ski. They just sit behind their computers bitching
to each other things that are irrelevant to skiing. There are only a
couple of people here who get out more than a couple of days a year
and a few that haven't skied in a couple of years. Good luck, you
might want to check out the forums on
http://www.epicski.com/f/. This
newsgroup has been nothing but flamewars for over a decade so there
are no real skiers left here.

This seems to have died down recently, or so it seems from the number of
posts that survive my killfile. Perhaps there's hope.

--
Cheers, Bev
"I've had a Lucas pacemaker for years and have
Old February 3rd 15, 10:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Tuesday, February 3, 2015 at 3:28:00 PM UTC-6, wrote:

You can have all you want. Just come here and take it.

Molon Labe, Horvie?

Actually, the proper translation is "come and get it." Thus, we all are free to poach the freshies of others whenever we want and whenever we can.

If it burns our fingers, then so be it.

Jim in Texas

"A well poached freshie, being necessary to the security of a free RSA invasion, the right of the people to keep and bear poachment shall not be infringed."

What part of "shall not be infringed" don't you understand?
Old February 3rd 15, 10:20 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Tuesday, February 3, 2015 at 11:54:00 AM UTC-7, lal_truckee wrote:
On 2/3/15 10:45 AM, downhill wrote:
Remember

Ski fast -Take chances.....

Remember

Ski deep -Make turns.....

Fast is for when you're lazy, tired, or before you learn to turn. Deep is good.

Old February 3rd 15, 11:22 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 2/3/15 2:18 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
On 02/03/2015 12:55 PM, BrritSki wrote:
On 03/02/2015 19:53, lal_truckee wrote:
On 2/3/15 10:45 AM, downhill wrote:
Remember

Ski fast -Take chances.....

Remember

Ski deep -Make turns.....

"To turn is to admit defeat" Hugh Grierson, RIP

"Hugh Grierson 1992 205.597 kph Les Arc France"

127 mph. Not all that shabby.

Record has crept on up, now 252.4kmh (156.8mph)
Simone Origone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLEEvDDpu1M

Not my cup of tea.
Although I have some 230 cm obsolete old Atomic DH skis that bounce and
rattle like a Model A until you hit 55-60 mph and they suddenly go quiet
and smooth and track and turn like they're on rails. I always stood up
to slow long before these skis would top out.
Old February 3rd 15, 11:36 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 2/3/15 3:22 PM, lal_truckee wrote:
Record has crept on up

However, if you're thinking about speed, factor in this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9BzA6U4V68

Old February 3rd 15, 11:48 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 02/03/2015 03:22 PM, lal_truckee wrote:
On 2/3/15 2:18 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
On 02/03/2015 12:55 PM, BrritSki wrote:
On 03/02/2015 19:53, lal_truckee wrote:
On 2/3/15 10:45 AM, downhill wrote:
Remember

Ski fast -Take chances.....

Remember

Ski deep -Make turns.....

"To turn is to admit defeat" Hugh Grierson, RIP

"Hugh Grierson 1992 205.597 kph Les Arc France"

127 mph. Not all that shabby.

Record has crept on up, now 252.4kmh (156.8mph)
Simone Origone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLEEvDDpu1M

Not my cup of tea.
Although I have some 230 cm obsolete old Atomic DH skis that bounce and
rattle like a Model A until you hit 55-60 mph and they suddenly go quiet
and smooth and track and turn like they're on rails. I always stood up
to slow long before these skis would top out.

Best I've ever done is 53 mph, and that was several years ago. I just
can't count on being able to deal with it if some moving slalom gate or
piece of unpleasantly soft snow suddenly decides to dart out in front of me.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old February 4th 15, 09:03 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
BrritSki[_3_]

On 04/02/2015 00:36, lal_truckee wrote:
On 2/3/15 3:22 PM, lal_truckee wrote:
Record has crept on up

However, if you're thinking about speed, factor in this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9BzA6U4V68

I've *looked* at that course

Old February 4th 15, 09:18 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
BrritSki[_3_]

On 04/02/2015 00:48, The Real Bev wrote:
[...]

My record is 87.3 kph or 54.25 mph (if smartphone gps's are that
accurate). Always done on the same red piste in Pila where it's usually
very quiet and there's a nice steep bit with no bumps and a wide flat
apron to run out too.

Thinks: must try the similar piste at Limone, but that's where I like to
attempt a 360 degree carved turn on snow and have succeeded a couple of
times