Vasaloppet 2009

Old February 25th 09, 04:00 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
tassava

Default Vasaloppet 2009

The Vasaloppet will be run this Sunday, the same day as the 50km at
Liberec. Can anyone in Europe capture and torrent the entire
Vasaloppet - maybe our friend "basilbrush"? The race airs on SVT1 from
7:30-12:50 CET on Sunday, 3/1. Last year, SVT also put the race up on
the web, live and archived, but this year I've noticed that many of
their clips are restricted to Swedish viewers, so I'm not optimistic
that web-watching will be possible.

Thanks.

Christopher
Old February 25th 09, 09:29 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Daniel

It could be wonderful to get whole Vasaloppet, 5 hours long video
it will be probably biggest skiing torrent ever, but maybe 2 or 3
parts ?
But even not whole race will be interesting, as always.

Gunde Svan will start this year, it will be his first start ever in
Vasaloppet
Old February 25th 09, 03:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Mathisen[_2_]

Default Liberec sprints: Ola Vigen Hattestad!

The specialized sprinters are pretty ****ed at FIS and the organizers
for placing the two sprint competitions back to back on successive days,
but it seems almost impossible for anyone to beat Ola VH this year.

With the team sprint today, he has started in 8 sprint events this
winter and won all of them except for a second place finish in Vancouver.

The DP up to the finish line today was _very_ impressive.

Terje

- Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no
Old February 26th 09, 12:25 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
shreddir

I don't think basilbrush lives in Sweden so he doesn't even get SVT.
British Eurosport doesn't pay that much attention to the Vasa. You could
ask our Norwegian friend whether he can capture NRK web stream (yeah, yeah..
I know they don't show every single minute nonstop, but Norwegian coverage I
recorded last year was a couple of hours long!) NRK will not let Vasa
coverage interfere with the last day of the World Championships though
because Liberec is more important to Norway. There's also a certain Swede
(no! not anders!) who also might be willing to record the SVT webstream.
He's the pal who always putting up the torrent for the Stockholm sprints so
ask him?

Old February 26th 09, 10:31 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Feb 25, 4:29*am, Daniel wrote:
It could be wonderful to get whole Vasaloppet, 5 hours long video
it will be probably biggest skiing torrent ever, but maybe 2 or 3
parts ?
But even not whole race will be interesting, as always.

Gunde Svan will start this year, it will be his first start ever in
Vasaloppet

I thought Gunde Svan has raced the Vasaloppet before. Didn't he ski it
with Ingemar Stenmark about a dozen years ago?

Jay T
Old February 27th 09, 05:57 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Lustig

On Feb 25, 6:52*pm, Terje Mathisen "terje.mathisen at tmsw.no"
wrote:

The specialized sprinters are pretty ****ed at FIS and the organizers
for placing the two sprint competitions back to back on successive days,

The idea of having the relay the day after the sprint relay doesn't
seem so hot, either, if you're a distance guy or girl who started in
the latter event (which, per se, favours less pure sprinter types than
distance types with fast-twitch muscles cells).

OTOH, the mad schedule perhaps made for more exciting races and some
unexpected medal winners, so it's not all bad.

but it seems almost impossible for anyone to beat Ola VH this year.
With the team sprint today, he has started in 8 sprint events this
winter and won all of them except for a second place finish in Vancouver.

A bad day for Ola V is a second place:-)

The DP up to the finish line today was _very_ impressive.

Especially considering that the finish straight in Liberec seems
unusually soft and even lumpy, so that it has some skiers have lost
balance or just speed due to losing their rhythm.

If we for a moment omit the fact that Hattestad is Hattestad, it seems
to me that longer poles in absolute terms give a certain advantage in
a finish line DP, and so do relatively longer poples. Sami Jauhojärvi
is one heck of an old school DPer, but he didn't have a chance.

BTW it should be noted that Norway was the only "all-sprinter" team
that did as well as expected, while "all-distance" teams did well (and
some "fifty-fifty" teams somehow vanished out of the medal contest
early on).

Anders

Old March 2nd 09, 05:47 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Lustig

On Feb 27, 5:15*pm, Terje Mathisen "terje.mathisen at tmsw.no"
wrote:

The waxer is turning 50, so Gunde's present is that he'll pull in front
the entire race, helping him to a good finish.

Ferry and Gunde finished in 5:40, with the goal of going well all the
way in under six hours. Gunde had done 600 km and Ferry 1000 km in
training and one 60 km "warm-up race".

(I imagine that no-one dared to block Gunde...)

BTW long-time r.s.n. contributor and Vasaloppet participator Jan G.
continued his absence

Anders (wishing all's nevertheless well in Umeå)
Old March 2nd 09, 08:41 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Mathisen[_2_]

wrote:

The waxer is turning 50, so Gunde's present is that he'll pull in front
the entire race, helping him to a good finish.

Ferry and Gunde finished in 5:40, with the goal of going well all the
way in under six hours. Gunde had done 600 km and Ferry 1000 km in
training and one 60 km "warm-up race".

Gunde had bib 49999 and Ferry Grill had 50000, they ended up as 1611 and
1613, with the exact same time of 5:40:10, i.e. someone managed to sneak
in alongside them in a third lane.
:-)

(I imagine that no-one dared to block Gunde...)

Probably not.

Terje

- Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no