An RSA.Mod History Question

Old May 4th 07, 01:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
kk7sm

Default An RSA.Mod History Question

On May 3, 5:39 pm, (Jeff Davis) wrote:

Some ****wad with an email address thinks BSD was spontaneously generated
at Berkley? They worked off AT&T source code. Gilmore was employee #5, not
3. He exercised his options and hasn't worked for Sun since before the .com
bust.

Aw, you may have had lunch with Daniel Webster, but your reading
comprehension
skills are pretty poor. I said that BSD was derived from a
predecessor to Version 7.
Most of us would have called that Seventh Edition Unix, but Caldera
would call it
Ancient Unix.

BSD was derived from Sixth Edition Unix, by the way. When I
previously said, in my
developed in
a parallel branch from one of the predecessors to Version 7." This
means that BSD
was developed from one of the predecessors of Seventh Edition Unix,
but was
developed in a parallel branch by the time of the introduction of
Seventh Edition Unix.
The predecessor, from whence BSD was derived, is Sixth Edition Unix,
but that's not
important.

Of course, if you knew Brian Kernighan, you'd know that (maybe). I
don't know
him and I don't really want to.

What is important is this. Everyone in the industry talks about
whether an OS is
more BSD-like or more System 5 like. Nobody talks about whether
something is
similar to Seventh Edition Unix because nobody still uses PDP-11s to
run it on.

Call Mr. Gilmore (employee #3) up on your mobile batphone and ask
him. He
knows it's true. It's understandable that you would forget some
details after your
interview with him concerning the history of prehistoric unix, so I'm
sure he won't
mind.

Of course, there never was a SunOS 7. There has been 4.X and 5.X.
Solaris 7
ran on the SunOS 5.7 kernel. Really, at that point, it's just
semantics.

I used to work for Larry Ellison, but I don't know him. I don't
really want to, either.
I also don't claim to be able to intelligently discuss the System
Global Area in an
Oracle 10g database, either, even though I shared office space with a
bunch of
people who were.

Of course, it's easy to name drop - let's see:

Last week, I had lunch with the ghost of Boris Yeltsin, Christina
Aguilera, and a
small moose named Gustav. They thought my knowledge of Russian
history
since the fall of the Soviet Empire, bad singing, and edible
shrubberies of the
fjords was quite adequate.

Old May 4th 07, 01:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

kk7sm wrote:

Last week, I had lunch with the ghost of Boris Yeltsin, Christina
Aguilera, and a
small moose named Gustav. They thought my knowledge of Russian
history
since the fall of the Soviet Empire, bad singing, and edible
shrubberies of the
fjords was quite adequate.

You had lunch with Gustav? That's really cool.

But did you see any cheerleaders in the meadow? That's when you know
you're really getting into "the zone".

//Walt
Old May 4th 07, 02:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On May 4, 6:32 am, kk7sm wrote:
Of course, it's easy to name drop - let's see:

Last week, I had lunch with the ghost of Boris Yeltsin, Christina
Aguilera, and a
small moose named Gustav. They thought my knowledge of Russian
history
since the fall of the Soviet Empire, bad singing, and edible
shrubberies of the
fjords was quite adequate.

I have never heard Boris sing. Is it really that bad?

Old May 4th 07, 04:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev

Richard Henry wrote:

On May 3, 8:09 am, (Jeff Davis) wrote:
Richard Henry wrote:

I last took a course that involved General Relativity in 1968. I
didn't particularly like it.

Why do you ask? Did your GPS receiver stop working?

I asked because I toured the W.W. Hansen Experimental Physics Lab at
Stanford a couple of months ago with the Program Manager of the Gravity
Probe B project. He found my general knowledge of physics adequate.

My goodness.

Isn't "adequate" one click above "unsatisfactory"? In other words, C-.

It's interesting you brought up the GPS. He had a lot to do with that as
well. I'm no authoratative expert on General Relativity, but I have a
pretty good idea why they need to solve their electromagnetic interference
problem to win the Nobel Prize in Physics.

I don't get the connection between General Relativity and
electromagnetid interference.

You play your cards close to the vest. I have an Ace showing. I think I'll
double down. I have great references for being just another ****wad with
an email address.

Are we in a game? Is it a physics knowledge contest, or a trip report
contest?

Just this week I had lunch at Fidel's, the most famous Mexican
restaurant/barber shop in Solana Beach. Which card do I get for
that?

I met a recent Nobel Prize winner last year. My husband has met at least
half a dozen of them.

Over the weekend, I was in Lancaster, just north of the Northrop
Grumman hangar at the Palmdale airport whose doors open only at
night. Isn't that worth at least a 10 of Clubs?

How were the wildflowers? I was going to take my mom out to see them, but
**** happened.

Oh yeah. When I worked at JPL (no, I'm NOT a rocket scientist, but the ones
I knew weren't all that bright) I was always going to go out to Edwards to
see a shuttle landing, but I was always too busy. Same with the flight out
to Goldstone which frequently used a dry riverbed for a landing strip. Feh.

--
Cheers, Bev
I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's
Old May 4th 07, 05:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Norm

"Jeff Davis" wrote in message

and your "endorsement" of a well known internet kook.

Abraham is a human being.

Well if you want to set the bar that low, OK, that much is probably true.

He's been maligned in rsa because people like
you have published so much unmittigated bull**** about him it necessitated
the creation of rsa.moderated.

No, Scott making a nuisance of himself necessitated the creation of RSAM.

And he's no threat to anyone.

He claims he is.

All this
started when I published the fact that I had met him in person, and found
the crap that gets posted here about him completely untrue.

Any crap at all about Scott which is posted here is in response to Scott
himself. Scott has personally created every issue he faces here and if the
situation is not exactly to his liking (I suspect in fact it is) he has only
himself to blame. If anything which is said about Scott is untrue, all he
has to do is post a link. He doesn't do that. Ever. But everybody who says
anything about Scott has links to back up what they say. Everybody. Always.

Face it Jeff, whatever you thought about him in person, if in fact that
happened, and I'm sceptical, he may not actually be a certified kook, but he
certainly plays one on the internet.

Old May 4th 07, 06:03 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
klaus

Walt wrote:

But did you see any cheerleaders in the meadow? That's when you know
you're really getting into "the zone".

You're making fun of me, aren't you. I have witnesses. The sad part is
that they did a group prayer. Probably for me.

In "the zone",
-klaus

Old May 4th 07, 07:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

klaus wrote:
Walt wrote:

But did you see any cheerleaders in the meadow? That's when you know
you're really getting into "the zone".

You're making fun of me, aren't you. I have witnesses.

Witnesses, eh? Who were they? Wait.... let me guess: The ghost of
Boris Yeltsin, Christina Aguilera, and a small moose named Gustav?

The sad part is that they did a group prayer. Probably for me.

Who did a group prayer? The cheerleaders, or the witnesses?

?Walt
Old May 4th 07, 08:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Ron Capik

The Real Bev wrote:

Richard Henry wrote:
....snip.....

Are we in a game? Is it a physics knowledge contest, or a trip report
contest?

I met a recent Nobel Prize winner last year. My husband has met at least
half a dozen of them.
--
Cheers, Bev

For what little it's worth (but maybe somewhat more in line with
the [supposed] point of this news group) I gave ski lessons to
two Nobel [physics] Prize winners.

I also had dinner with ...blah blah blah, and blah blah.
Umm, never mind. ;-)

Later...

Ron Capik cynic in training

Old June 10th 07, 05:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Jeff Davis

In article 99K_h.158369$DE1.39332@pd7urf2no,
Norm wrote:

Face it Jeff, whatever you thought about him in person, if in fact that
happened, and I'm sceptical, he may not actually be a certified kook, but he
certainly plays one on the internet.

We're having dinner tonight. We'll stop by the elk antlers on the Square at
quarter 'til eight this evening and flip you all off on the Jackson Hole Square
web cam.
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old June 10th 07, 05:59 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Jeff Davis

In article ,
Lost Balls BSker wrote:

Spoken like someone who schooled you on aerodynamics and SunOS
versioning.

I've been wondering if you drive a 'Vette or a Mazda Miata. You play a 'Vette'
owner on the internet but drive a Miata around Vancouver looking for people
to buy your unmittigated bull****? You schooled me on nothing, and muons
went over your pin head.
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."