Portes De Soleil

Old January 20th 05, 02:11 PM
Paul Schofield

Default Portes De Soleil

Going to PdeS (Les Lindarets) tomorrow and seeing the weather forecast for
heavy/medium snow for the first few days was hoping for some tips about
where to ski in poor visibility.

Hopefully clearing later in the week so I will have no excuses for not
attempting the Wall :-[

--
Paul Schofield

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana

Old January 20th 05, 03:03 PM
Paul Schofield

"Paul ( Skiing8 )" wrote in message
"Paul Schofield" wrote in message
.. .

was there last year in poor conditions, mostly stayed around avoriaz as we
were staying there.

There is plenty of trees to ski through if you look, we had poor

visibility
but found lots of slopes lower down that were good... even though it was
raining lower down

Do you mean the run under the cable car (Prodain?) or perhaps the runs
beside the road (Super Morzine) or those towards Chatel? (I think that is
Les Lindarets)?

--
Paul Schofield

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana

Old January 20th 05, 03:05 PM
Jeremy Mortimer

"Paul Schofield" wrote in
:

Going to PdeS (Les Lindarets) tomorrow and seeing the weather forecast
for heavy/medium snow for the first few days was hoping for some tips
about where to ski in poor visibility.

Hopefully clearing later in the week so I will have no excuses for not
attempting the Wall :-[

If you're based in Lindarets you're already in a good place. From the top
of the Ardent telecabine take the chair on the right - not the one
continuing up the valley, but the one which goes up the side towards
Avoriaz (name, anyone?). There's easy tree skiing in the woods under the
chair. There's also a nice bump run where the Poma used to be that was
removed when the chair was put in.

Jeremy
Old January 20th 05, 03:36 PM
DMG

"Paul Schofield" wrote in message
.. .

"Paul ( Skiing8 )" wrote in message
"Paul Schofield" wrote in message
.. .

was there last year in poor conditions, mostly stayed around avoriaz as
we
were staying there.

There is plenty of trees to ski through if you look, we had poor

visibility
but found lots of slopes lower down that were good... even though it was
raining lower down

Do you mean the run under the cable car (Prodain?) or perhaps the runs
beside the road (Super Morzine) or those towards Chatel? (I think that is
Les Lindarets)?

I think he means the runs you can access from the Prolays and Lindarets
lifts; gives you access to a couple of reds and 3 or 4 blues. Enjoyable but
not demanding.

Actually, you can't go far wrong around Avoriaz unless you attempt to cross
over to Chatel or into Switzerland when it can get a bit more interesting
when the weather is bad. I did both last week when the weather was
excellent (but the snow was lacking!).

But don't forget to go down to Morzine and go up the other side and cross
into Les Gets. I've been many times and found that it's often quieter
around the Les Gets 'bowl' and there are some great runs there.

Old January 20th 05, 05:25 PM
Ace

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 17:43:10 GMT, Greg Hilton wrote:

"Paul Schofield" wrote in
t:

Going to PdeS (Les Lindarets) tomorrow and seeing the weather forecast
for heavy/medium snow for the first few days was hoping for some tips
about where to ski in poor visibility.

Les gets is great in heavy snow, lots of trees to break up the vis, hardly
any people!!

You're not wrong. Had a great powder day there a couple of years back
- 1m of fresh right down to the village, and nobody skiing it! Well,
apart from us, obviously :-)

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)

Old January 20th 05, 06:05 PM
Champ

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 14:11:04 -0000, "Paul Schofield"
wrote:

Going to PdeS (Les Lindarets) tomorrow and seeing the weather forecast for
heavy/medium snow for the first few days was hoping for some tips about
where to ski in poor visibility.

Lindarets itself is about the best place on the Avoriaz/French side -
lots of pistes through the trees, so the vis isn't bad. Only downside
is it's a little low, so if the freezing level isn't below you, you
end up skiing in the rain.
--
Champ