Opinions on Goggles

Old January 12th 05, 08:23 PM
Brien

Default Opinions on Goggles

I got my goggles from last season out for packing and noticed a horrible
red streak across them. They seemed ruined so I attempted to take the
mark off, now they're really ready for the bin so I need new ones.

Any tips on good goggles? I really liked my old Cebe ones, they just
don't seem to have stored very well.
Old January 12th 05, 10:04 PM
Steve Haigh

Brien wrote:

I got my goggles from last season out for packing and noticed a horrible
red streak across them. They seemed ruined so I attempted to take the
mark off, now they're really ready for the bin so I need new ones.

Any tips on good goggles? I really liked my old Cebe ones, they just
don't seem to have stored very well.

After many years of avoiding Oakleys due to the price, I finally caved
in a bought a pair of A-Frames (the cheapest model they do). Highly
recommended for comfort, visibility and not misting up. Used them in
conditions from -30c through to blizzards and to +5c with rain (good old
Whistler) and they were fine all round, no misting and visibility was as
good as it could be.
Old January 12th 05, 11:15 PM
Darren Atter

Don't know if they've fixed them since but there seemed to be a design
flaw with the A frames last year. They were working great but then cracked
down the middle. Several other people seemed to have the crack down the
middle as well and when I took them back to the shop they said it was
quite common. Had only had them a few weeks. After that they misted up
quite easily.

Old January 13th 05, 12:38 AM
Steve

The are a couple of folks on UK ebay selling lots of Oakley Wisdom
goggles (top of the Oakley range).
Current going rate on ebay is about £60. They are 100% legit and genuine
new boxed Oakleys.
I recently bought 2 pairs from them, one with "Fire" lenses for sunny
days and one with "Persimmon" lenses for snowy days...

Steve

:

Old January 13th 05, 08:12 AM
WeatherCam

Quite simply - I wear sunglasses when it's not snowing heavily, when you are
out and it's a full on dump, then and only then do I use goggles, but in
those conditions, odds on that you might do a face plant - so I carry a
spare pair - thus I pack two average cheapish pairs of goggles !

Old January 13th 05, 08:45 AM
cupra

WeatherCam wrote:
Quite simply - I wear sunglasses when it's not snowing heavily, when
you are out and it's a full on dump, then and only then do I use
goggles, but in those conditions, odds on that you might do a face
plant - so I carry a spare pair - thus I pack two average cheapish
pairs of goggles !

I brought a cheap pair of Tchibo goggles this year as I'd scratched my
normal pair - they cost £16.99 (from memory) and they were just as good!

Old January 13th 05, 09:37 AM
Paul \( Skiing8 \)

"Steve" wrote in message
The are a couple of folks on UK ebay selling lots of Oakley Wisdom
goggles (top of the Oakley range).
Current going rate on ebay is about £60. They are 100% legit and genuine
new boxed Oakleys.
I recently bought 2 pairs from them, one with "Fire" lenses for sunny
days and one with "Persimmon" lenses for snowy days...

Steve

Got a pair of wisdom's last year and I couldn't believe how good they
were... as I only use goggles in poor light or snowey conditions so I got
the yellow tinted ones. For the first time in flat light I could see. They
are expensive but worth it.

Paul

Old January 13th 05, 09:50 AM
David Brown :o\)

"Paul ( Skiing8 )" wrote in message news:cs5fkj$p25$1
Got a pair of wisdom's last year and I couldn't believe how good they
were... as I only use goggles in poor light or snowey conditions so I got
the yellow tinted ones. For the first time in flat light I could see. They
are expensive but worth it.

Good, I just bought a pair from boardwise for £80 with persimmon lenses. I
tried a few pairs on from £50-£80 and the Wisdons were by far the most
comfortable and I haven't even got that large a head. If it stays sunny
next week I may not even get 'round to using them tho' as I only use glasses
when I can.

--
kitemap
http://ugcc.co.uk

Old January 14th 05, 02:25 PM

Darren Atter wrote:
Don't know if they've fixed them since but there seemed to be a

design
flaw with the A frames last year. They were working great but then

cracked
down the middle. Several other people seemed to have the crack down

the
middle as well and when I took them back to the shop they said it was

quite common. Had only had them a few weeks. After that they misted

up
quite easily.

It pains me to reply to a top poster... and you're using Opera?! Surely
a proper program like that allows you to follow convention and post at
the bottom?

Anyway, turning of the pedantic drivel...

Thanks for the info I wasn't aware they had this problem. It turns out
that I gave the wrong model name anyway - I have "L" Frames - do these
have a similar problem?

I went for the L frames over the Wisdoms (mentioned in a few other
posts) because the Wisdoms did not fit well with my helmet. I think the
A frames too were not very helmet friendly. Oh, and the Ls are the
cheaper ones:-). This is a point for any helmet wearer - if you can you
should try goggles on with your lid. IIRC the wisdoms did not sit at
all well with my lid - there were gaps between the goggles and the
helmet (= cold forehead) and also the frames did not sit evenly on my
face. To be fair the Oakley guy warned me that this was a problem with
the Wisdoms (they were running a demo day so I tried a few) but with a
differnt head and a differnt helmet you may be fine. Shame, because the
Wisdoms were great without a helmet - really comfy and great peripheral
visibility.

Old January 15th 05, 04:44 PM
Ian Blake

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 20:23:55 +0000, Brien wrote:

Any tips on good goggles? I really liked my old Cebe ones, they just
don't seem to have stored very well.

A lot of people buy new goggles. If you like your Cebe just buy a replacement
lens. Much cheaper. Your local shop may not stock lens but if the googles are
not long obsolete you will be able to order them.