Calculating leg-distance (binding separation) for tall boarders ?

Old December 11th 03, 04:22 PM
chas

Default Calculating leg-distance (binding separation) for tall boarders ?

I'm over 6'2" and my brother's 6'4". I ride a 185 Burton and my
brother was last year riding a 190+ board (can't remember for sure).
Other than his size, you can always spot my brother from a distance -
his stance is so 'upright' and he says the same about me.

Usually I board with the bindings in the 'middle' position (ie. not
the closest together, and not the furthest apart) on the Burton
'diamond'. But on the last day of boarding last season I moved them
apart to one notch either way - it felt soooo much more comfortable,
in a more crouched stand, and somewhat faster (though I suspect that
was just a perception, in the same way as driving a sports car feels
faster b/c you're closer to the ground).

I don't know why it never occured to me to try that in the past... but
am definitely going to start with my bindings wide this year. Just
wondering, are their any guidelines for this ? I would have thought
that the wider the better ... a lower centre of gravity, more bounce
in the knees - but I'm also aware that there's rarely a free lunch, so
what do you give up by going wide?

Thank you

Chas
Old December 11th 03, 05:40 PM
Mike T

I'm over 6'2" and my brother's 6'4". I ride a 185 Burton and my
brother was last year riding a 190+ board (can't remember for sure).
Other than his size, you can always spot my brother from a distance -
his stance is so 'upright' and he says the same about me.

Are you riding alpine boards w/ hard boots? If so, you'll get more
answers at www.bomberonline.com. If not, what non-alpine Burton is 185
cm long? (I know the Supermodel used to come in a 181... is there
something else? - Just curious!!!)

Mike T

Old December 11th 03, 05:53 PM
Edward Arata

Binding settings are always problems for tall people!
Got to represent, I'm 6'5" so I know the problems.

1st) No matter what anybody says always go with what is comfortable with
you. This always takes a lot of time to try out different things and see
what you like. One comment when you make a change to your bindings, ride a
full day before you change them to something else, on all the types of
terrain you ride, so you get the all around feeling and don't confuse
settings.

2nd) Check out this site:
http://www.cs.uu.nl/~daan/snow/stance.html
General rule for people over 6' is 22-23 inches apart, which usually
corresponds to the center holes on "most" boards if not the outside ones.
Having your feet to close together does not allow you to bend your legs as
much, as you have seen.

3rd) Another general rule is that your stance should be as wide center to
center as the length of your lower leg. That is from the floor to the point
where your knee flexes. For me this is about 22 inches so this corresponds
with my 2nd point.

4th) Just a comment, 185 and 190+, holy crap! I ride a 164 and a 168 and
they are plenty long for me even in the powder. I know that length
corresponds to weight more than height, but I'm 6'5" like I said and 200
pounds. I would suggest trying a slightly shorter board, it may make a huge
difference, but is up to you and the type of riding you do.

5th) Your question about what do you give up by going wider. The answer is
that it is harder to flex the board out when carving (the correct way),
making a single slice in the snow and not breaking the tail lose. The
closer your feet are together the more leverage you have to bend the board,
but when our height I don't think it should be too much of a problem,
especially with the Cadies of boards you ride.

6th) Other than that, for me, others may disagree, the two things to
snowboarding a One, weight forward; Two, bend your knees! So anything
that helps to that end, do it!

Hope this helps you and your bro out! Tall boarders represent!
If your ever in Switzerland drop me a note, we'll hit the slopes.

Ed

Old December 12th 03, 04:42 AM
chas

Thanks for the great help, Ed

Binding settings are always problems for tall people!
Got to represent, I'm 6'5" so I know the problems.

1st) No matter what anybody says always go with what is comfortable with
you. This always takes a lot of time to try out different things and see
what you like. One comment when you make a change to your bindings, ride a
full day before you change them to something else, on all the types of
terrain you ride, so you get the all around feeling and don't confuse
settings.

Yes, I do just this, changing just one variable at a time on
any given day (either with angles or boot separation) which I
guess is why experimenting takes so long.

2nd) Check out this site:
http://www.cs.uu.nl/~daan/snow/stance.html

Absolutely fantastic site - thank you

3rd) Another general rule is that your stance should be as wide center to
center as the length of your lower leg. That is from the floor to the point
where your knee flexes. For me this is about 22 inches so this corresponds
with my 2nd point.

4th) Just a comment, 185 and 190+, holy crap!

Sorry, sorry, sorry - I was having an incredibly blonde-moment!
It was late, I was still hyperventillating from having just booked my
flight to Japan for snowboarding, and I was of course thinking about
our heights (getting confused with when I used to surf).

I actually ride a 163/5 (and my brother a 168) ... I'm starting to
think this is a little short for deep powder, but I can't afford a new
board yet.

I ride a 164 and a 168 and
they are plenty long for me even in the powder. I know that length
corresponds to weight more than height, but I'm 6'5" like I said and 200
pounds. I would suggest trying a slightly shorter board, it may make a huge
difference, but is up to you and the type of riding you do.

Yeah, sorry. My fault.

5th) Your question about what do you give up by going wider. The answer is
that it is harder to flex the board out when carving (the correct way),
making a single slice in the snow and not breaking the tail lose. The
closer your feet are together the more leverage you have to bend the board,
but when our height I don't think it should be too much of a problem,
especially with the Cadies of boards you ride.

6th) Other than that, for me, others may disagree, the two things to
snowboarding a One, weight forward; Two, bend your knees!

Completely agree.

So anything that helps to that end, do it!

Hope this helps you and your bro out! Tall boarders represent!
If your ever in Switzerland drop me a note, we'll hit the slopes.

Sweet. Will do - and thanks for the great post :-)

Chas