Telluride?

Old October 17th 15, 04:45 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Toller[_3_]

Default Telluride?

On Saturday, October 17, 2015 at 12:49:27 AM UTC-4, The Real Bev wrote:
On 10/16/2015 06:06 PM, lal_truckee wrote:
On 10/16/15 5:09 PM, Toller wrote:
Thank you all. I have never heard of Brian's Head, but they sure get a lot of snow.

When were you planning on going?

Probably early March. Supposedly El Nino will translate into lots of snow.
If we go to Brian's Head, we will probably stop by Bryce. I don't see much of anything on the way to Telluride.

I live 15 miles from Hill Cumorah, so I am well familiar with Morman attractions.

Old October 18th 15, 03:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

I didn't ski the last two seasons due to poor snow, poor health, and poor finances. I found to my dismay that if I skied the runs I liked I fell and hurt myself (as in concussions, etc) and that I was bored skiing the trails where I was safe.

In retrospect, the period from November 2009 to May of 2013 were the best of my life - good snow (mostly), plenty of time (retired and all that), reasons to travel (2 kids at UC Davis, one of them playing soccer) past Mammoth and Tahoe (OK, so it was a bit of a detour) and adequate money (with the early-purchase senior season passes I could was able to ski 4 mountains in California, and many other areas have deals for seniors and other-area pass holders).

Now I walk with a cane most days and travel mostly by bus.
Old October 18th 15, 04:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 10/18/15 8:24 AM, Richard Henry wrote:
Now I walk with a cane most days and travel mostly by bus.

At this point "I'm still alive" is the major hurdle. All else is details.
Old October 18th 15, 04:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 10/17/15 9:45 AM, Toller wrote:
I live 15 miles from Hill Cumorah, so I am well familiar with Morman attractions.

You may have missed the point.
Old October 18th 15, 05:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 10/18/2015 08:24 AM, Richard Henry wrote:

Now I walk with a cane most days and travel mostly by bus.

That sucks. You didn't miss much last year, though. Snow sucked and
they apparently decided to cheap out on grooming and just chew up the
top one inch, leaving the holes pristine and frozen. Brian Head was
lovely, though. It may NEVER be disappointing.

--
Cheers, Bev
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^
Old October 19th 15, 02:46 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Sunday, October 18, 2015 at 9:24:54 AM UTC-6, Richard Henry wrote:
I didn't ski the last two seasons due to poor snow, poor health, and poor finances. I found to my dismay that if I skied the runs I liked I fell and hurt myself (as in concussions, etc) and that I was bored skiing the trails where I was safe.

In retrospect, the period from November 2009 to May of 2013 were the best of my life - good snow (mostly), plenty of time (retired and all that), reasons to travel (2 kids at UC Davis, one of them playing soccer) past Mammoth and Tahoe (OK, so it was a bit of a detour) and adequate money (with the early-purchase senior season passes I could was able to ski 4 mountains in California, and many other areas have deals for seniors and other-area pass holders).

Now I walk with a cane most days and travel mostly by bus.

Well, the skiing ran it's course with me awhile back. Many fond memories. But I now consider the skiing I would be relegated to wouldn't measure up to what I used to do, and I've found other interests. Life goes on (the still alive thing!).
Old October 22nd 15, 01:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 10/22/15 3:45 AM, comadrejo wrote:
Get off your high horse.

No horse. Not even a pony.
Just concerned that it's misleading to suggest the mere purchase and
wearing of an avy beacon somehow makes one safer. There's more to it.

Charged up the plow truck; piled up some wood. I'm ready.
Old October 22nd 15, 10:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

Another suggestion: Angelfire in NM. Some newbie friends went there
and had a great time.

--
Cheers, Bev
Little Mary took her skis upon the snow to frisk.
Old October 22nd 15, 11:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

Angelfire is an excellent choice for easy intermediate skiiers. It may be a little flat for some folks, but if it is, Red River is just around the corner and has a few more challenging areas and the most fun I've ever had on intermediate slopes was at Red River.

But -- should Red River also be too flat, Zzzz is also right around the corner, and if the snow is decent, it's world-class. Bob Lee, John Red-Horse, and I can point you to some good stashes, but it's not free (no, your money is NO GOOD on this one) and you'll have to be comfortable on double-black steeps at 12,000 feet to get to them.

No avvy beacon needed -- it's all in-bounds and almost all lift-served. But you will want to ski in pairs, because you want a witness to your bragging rights. And as we like to say in Texas, "Hey bubba! Watch THIS!!"

Jim in Hell

Old October 23rd 15, 01:49 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Friday, October 16, 2015 at 6:59:19 PM UTC-6, lal_truckee wrote:
On 10/16/15 11:36 AM, comadrejo wrote:

If people want hardcore skiing, buy a beacon, an avy shovel and go to
Silverton, or better yet, ski mountaineer in the Tetons or the Canadian
Rockies..

Bad advice. A beacon without significant on-slope practice merely makes
one over-confident and leading the skier into excessively dangerous
conditions. It also makes one into a liability to his group rather than
an asset, in event of a slide.

*That* and there is plenty of "hardcore" inbounds skiing. And soft snow if you avoid areas that allow snowboards.

Telluride Alan Fried Alpine Skiing 2 August 25th 07 01:35 AM
Jackson Hole or Telluride thinnmann Alpine Skiing 7 January 14th 05 03:49 PM
Telluride T-cards ?? Bruce Alpine Skiing 0 November 5th 04 06:00 PM
Telluride in early December? GP Alpine Skiing 0 October 11th 03 05:09 PM