"Madman across the Water".

Old November 16th 03, 01:52 AM
Inger Skramstad Jørstad

Default "Madman across the Water".

This is the title of an old LP album by Elton John, which suddenly sprung to
mind. When I read some of the recent postings here, I think of this
particular album title. But, who is really the madman? Is it Rumsfeld? Or is
it GWB himself? Or should it really be madmen, in plural? Again, whoever the
shoe fits. For your information: "The water", or more often "The pond", is a
local nickname or pet name here for the Atlantic Ocean between Europe and
America. And BTW, Rod Stewart had a smash hit with his album called
"Atlantic Crossing" some years ago now, maybe you still remember the hit
song "I am Sailing"? Anyway, for us here, the madmen are definitely not on
our side of the Atlantic, but they surely seem indeed increasingly plentiful
"over there", on your side, that is. Wonder what went so wrong.

Old November 16th 03, 02:09 PM
Brian Sniatkowski

Since your side of the of the water gave the world Hitler and Nazism,
Stalin, Milosevic, Mladic and their butchering minions, Ceausescu,
Saddam Hussein and countless murderous, butchers who called themselves
"King This", or "Queen That", I wouldn't be pointing fingers to this
side of the Atlantic when madness is discussed.

Old November 16th 03, 02:49 PM
Inger Skramstad Jørstad

"Brian Sniatkowski" skrev i melding
Since your side of the of the water gave the world Hitler and Nazism,

Stalin, Milosevic, Mladic and their butchering minions, Ceausescu,
Saddam Hussein and countless murderous, butchers who called themselves

"King This", or "Queen That", I wouldn't be pointing fingers to this
side of the Atlantic when madness is discussed.

Saddam Hussein!!!!????

Old November 16th 03, 03:58 PM
pigo

"Inger Skramstad Jørstad" wrote in message
"Brian Sniatkowski" skrev i melding
Since your side of the of the water gave the world Hitler and Nazism,

Stalin, Milosevic, Mladic and their butchering minions, Ceausescu,
Saddam Hussein and countless murderous, butchers who called themselves

"King This", or "Queen That", I wouldn't be pointing fingers to this
side of the Atlantic when madness is discussed.

Saddam Hussein!!!!????

He's a lot more "your side of the pond" than ours. And since you brought it
up.............

Old November 16th 03, 06:33 PM
Brian Sniatkowski

Saddam Hussein!!!!????

Last time I looked he wasn't on this side of the ocean...unless he's
hiding in Arizona.

Old November 16th 03, 06:57 PM
Trevor

"Brian Sniatkowski" wrote in message
Saddam Hussein!!!!????

Last time I looked he wasn't on this side of the ocean...unless he's
hiding in Arizona.

If he was in Arizona, I still doubt you'd be able to find him.

Old November 16th 03, 10:27 PM
Inger Skramstad Jørstad

"pigo" skrev i melding
So, including Saddam Hussein on "our side of the pond", is incorrect,
because the Middle East is totally beyond the original reference or

essence
of the term "The water" or "The pond", which refers to the sea crossings

of
the big transatlantic steamers like the "Titanic", for instance between
Southampton (UK) and New York.

How convenient for you! As long as you're rationalizing and backpeddaling

why
don't you just include all countries on "your side of the pond" that have

never
had a cruel leader of some sort? OH WAIT. There wouldn't be any!

Like it or not, that is the fact, the expression refers only to the Atlantic
between mainland Europe/the UK/Ireland/Iceland, and North America, Canada
and the US, excluding Mexico. The Middle East has never been included in
this reference. This is just another indisputable fact, like it or not.

Old November 16th 03, 10:32 PM
Inger Skramstad Jørstad

"Vern93" skrev i melding
argueing semantics with a Norwegian teenager.

Thank you! I am in fact nearly 35. I suppose that all this talk here
recently about sex and children makes you only think of teenagers, and
possibly even younger, you old, dirty man you.

Old November 16th 03, 10:49 PM
Inger Skramstad Jørstad

"Richard Henry" skrev i melding
So on your "side of the pond" you would include UK and Ireland which are
separated by water, but not the Middle East, which is not?

Yes, exactly, totally correct, like it or not, that is exactly how it is.
Are you familiar with the terms "ATLANTIC" and "EUROPE"? The Middle East is
in ASIA, and has always been in ASIA, and NOT in Europe, not even Israel,
and the Middle East is NOT by the Atlantic, either. Most of Turkey is also
in Asia, like parts of Russia, as well. I clearly stated the ATLANTIC
between EUROPE and America, or between the UK/Ireland/Iceland and Canada/the
US, not even Mexico, to be totally precise. Now, get this undisputable fact
into your seemingly thick skulls, once and for all. Or are you all getting
slow-witted in the aging process? Get yourself a decent atlas or globus.