Updated Stowe trail maps

Old February 16th 04, 04:10 PM
Lew Lasher

Default Updated Stowe trail maps

I've updated my map Web page to include my newest trail maps of
cross-country ski trails in Stowe, Vermont:

http://LewLasher.home.att.net/maps

The trail map for the Stowe Mountain Resort (medium size is the most
useful) has been updated to include the new backcountry trail, John's
Road, named for the late John Higgins, who ran the cross-country center
there in the '90s. This map also includes the Birch Glenn trail,
although I still have to fill in the alpine trails that connect it to
the main trail system.

The Edson Hill maps don't include the names of all the tiny little
trails, but I believe they include all the trails. The depiction of the
long loop trail Maple Run is a little rough because I got lost
repeatedly trying to follow it.

The Trapp maps haven't been updated in 2 years; I'm waiting to see if
there will be any permanent trail changes in the area of the new luxury
townhouses. I think they may have added some snowshoe trails the last 2
years which are not on my maps.

If I get my act together today, I might go out and survey the trails in
the Topnotch system, the 4th of the commercial cross-country ski areas
in Stowe.

I'm planning to put out a map of the trails on the west side of Mt.
Mansfield, but I haven't been able to locate the WB trail (called the
"Underhill" trail on some recent maps), after repeated attempts,
including a snowshoe hike yesterday that should have led me to the
southern end of the WB trail. I may yet make one more trip to the north
end of the WB trail to see if there are any tracks there. Otherwise,
I'm considering it a defunct, former trail.

Lew Lasher
Stowe, Vermont and Cambridge, Massachusetts