sunny weather

Old February 7th 08, 04:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

Default sunny weather

crap.
Old February 7th 08, 05:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

lal_truckee wrote:
crap.

Better than driving rain.

Or the 35 knot winds they're forecasting for this weekend.

Oh well, if you wait for perfect conditions you'll never ski. Around
here, at least.

//Walt
Old February 7th 08, 05:05 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

Walt wrote:
lal_truckee wrote:
crap.

Better than driving rain.

Or the 35 knot winds they're forecasting for this weekend.

Oh well, if you wait for perfect conditions you'll never ski. Around
here, at least.

//Walt

Ayup...

They were coming back into the lodge
with a thin coating of ice from head
to foot yesterday. Talk about "crap".
Old February 7th 08, 05:17 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

VtSkier wrote:
Walt wrote:
lal_truckee wrote:
crap.

... if you wait for perfect conditions you'll never ski. Around
here, at least.

Ayup...

They were coming back into the lodge
with a thin coating of ice from head
to foot yesterday. Talk about "crap".

Yes, the glazed doughnought look. I'm quite familiar with it.

The main problem with those conditions is that the freezing rain sticks
to your goggles and makes it almost impossible to see. I've been
looking for a solution to this for some time to no avail. Of course,
any reasonable person would just bag it at that point, but that's not my
style.

//Walt
Old February 7th 08, 05:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Feb 7, 10:17*am, Walt wrote:
VtSkier wrote:
Walt wrote:
lal_truckee wrote:
crap.
... if you wait for perfect conditions you'll never ski. *Around
here, at least.

Ayup...

They were coming back into the lodge
with a thin coating of ice from head
to foot yesterday. Talk about "crap".

Yes, the glazed doughnought look. *I'm quite familiar with it.

The main problem with those conditions is that the freezing rain sticks
to your goggles and makes it almost impossible to see. *I've been
looking for a solution to this for some time to no avail. *Of course,
any reasonable person would just bag it at that point, but that's not my
style.

//Walt

The time I got hurt the worst while skiing was a white-out windless
foggy snowy day at Mammoth. I fell off the side of a snowdrift I
didn't know I was on and twisted my neck. I was staying at the hotel
across the parking lot from the lifts, and I was tired anyway because
we had arrived at 3AM the night beore because of slow roads due to the
weather, so I went in at noon and fell asleep on the bed with my arm
under my head. I woke up with my arm asleep (no blood circulation
asleep) and so badly out of control that I dislocated my shoulder.

On second thought, I guess that's not really "while skiing".

Old February 8th 08, 12:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

gr wrote:
Walt wrote:
VtSkier wrote:
Walt wrote:
lal_truckee wrote:
crap.

... if you wait for perfect conditions you'll never ski. Around
here, at least.

Ayup...

They were coming back into the lodge
with a thin coating of ice from head
to foot yesterday. Talk about "crap".

Yes, the glazed doughnought look. I'm quite familiar with it.

The main problem with those conditions is that the freezing rain
sticks to your goggles and makes it almost impossible to see. I've
been looking for a solution to this for some time to no avail. Of
course, any reasonable person would just bag it at that point, but
that's not my style.

//Walt

Have you tried Rain-x on the goggles?
gr

We were talking about that on Wednesday.

I hate rain-x on a windshield because it's
like looking out through a greasy fog.
Windshield wipers are better.

That greasy fog just might be better than
an instantly reforming glaze of ice. I want
to try it on an old pair before committing
the $80 Oakleys to the treatment. AND, I
will try to avoid similar conditions, so
the test may be long in coming but just in
case I'll put a small bottle of Rain-x
in my backpack.
Old February 8th 08, 01:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

VtSkier wrote:
gr wrote:

Have you tried Rain-x on the goggles?

We were talking about that on Wednesday.

I hate rain-x on a windshield because it's
like looking out through a greasy fog.
Windshield wipers are better.

That greasy fog just might be better than
an instantly reforming glaze of ice. I want
to try it on an old pair before committing
the $80 Oakleys to the treatment. AND, I
will try to avoid similar conditions, so
the test may be long in coming but just in
case I'll put a small bottle of Rain-x
in my backpack.

I tried Rain-X on a pair of old goggles and it dissolved the tint in
places, making a mottled uneven color over the lens. And it didn't help
much with the problem at hand.

Perhaps it would work (and not ruin) a different lens material, but I'd
be careful with using it on plastic goggle lenses.

Gotta disagree with you about the windshield - Rain X is perfectly
transparent once you wipe it off and it really does improve visibility
in the rain. I use windshield washer fluid with the Rain-X mixed so I
don't have to apply it by hand. Definitely worth the extra buck a gallon.

//Walt

Old February 8th 08, 03:08 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

Walt wrote:
VtSkier wrote:
gr wrote:

[...]

Sounds like:

1) I got a bad batch (or too old) of Rain-x

2) I did read the directions and applied carefully
but maybe not a good application.

3) Windshield wash with Rain-x mixed in, eh?
Sounds like a much better way. Note to self, try
this!

4) I really need goggles with windshield wipers.

By the way, I use the windshield washer fluid
which is pink and good to 20 below. Not that we
get 20 below all that often any more, it just
removes ice without so much scraping.
Old February 8th 08, 03:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

VtSkier wrote:
Walt wrote:

By the way, I use the windshield washer fluid
which is pink and good to 20 below. Not that we
get 20 below all that often any more, it just
removes ice without so much scraping.

The Rain X stuff is orange, and is allegedly good to -30 F. Costs about
a buck more than the standard stuff, but I get a year or more out of a
bottle. What's a buck a year?

The interesting thing about Rain X is that it's the only product sold on
UHF TV (or whatever today's equivalent is) that actually works as
advertized.

I just wish it worked on goggles. Maybe it would if I wasn't such a
cheapskate who buys $12 ski goggles.

//Walt
Old February 9th 08, 03:56 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev

Walt wrote:

VtSkier wrote:
Walt wrote:

By the way, I use the windshield washer fluid
which is pink and good to 20 below. Not that we
get 20 below all that often any more, it just
removes ice without so much scraping.

The Rain X stuff is orange, and is allegedly good to -30 F. Costs about
a buck more than the standard stuff, but I get a year or more out of a
bottle. What's a buck a year?

The interesting thing about Rain X is that it's the only product sold on
UHF TV (or whatever today's equivalent is) that actually works as
advertized.

Nothing works if your windshield is covered with fine pits from god
knows what the previous owner did to it.

I just wish it worked on goggles. Maybe it would if I wasn't such a
cheapskate who buys $12 ski goggles.

I never pay more than a buck! I just noticed that the nice Uvex ones
I've used for maybe 10 years have holes in the thin foam covering the
vents. I think duct tape will come in handy here...

You never tried using a few drops of liquid detergent and then polishing
it off?

--
Cheers,
Bev

hot weather 32 degrees Nordic Skiing 16 June 23rd 06 10:03 PM
From Best Ski Weather ianskivt North American Ski Resorts 0 March 3rd 06 03:50 PM
Mtn. Weather Steve Backcountry Skiing 0 August 11th 05 02:07 AM
Sunny Glenshee Adrian Tupper European Ski Resorts 0 February 27th 05 08:31 PM
weather karen smith European Ski Resorts 2 September 28th 04 10:55 AM