Jeopardy gets slope degree/percent wrong

Old July 20th 16, 05:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

Default Jeopardy gets slope degree/percent wrong

On 7/20/2016 8:45 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
On 07/20/2016 07:05 AM, Richard Henry wrote:
On Wednesday, July 6, 2016 at 8:42:32 AM UTC-7, BrritSki wrote:
On 06/07/2016 17:05, lal_truckee wrote:
On 7/6/16 12:33 AM, Richard Henry wrote:
From 0 to 20 degrees, tan() is also roughly the same as sin(), so you
throw that page out of your CRC math tables.

My copy of the CRC Math Tables was purchased by my mother in 1939 when
she was a freshman math student at Berkeley. Can't tear pages from an
heirloom. If I did she'd notice and ask me about it.

My copy of school log tables from 1964 have THURSDAY written in large
capital letters on the back. It was the maths lesson following afternoon
break where I'd concussed myself somehow and I kept asking my classmate
what day it was until he eventually wrote it down.

He eventually realised something was wrong and I was taken home where I
read the evening paper about 10 times, and went up to see if my bike was
OK after my "fall" about 20 times before I eventually was taken to
hospital and kept in for a couple of nights :/

The last hard fall I had skiing included a concussion - a whiplash
onto frozen surface early on a spring-skiing day after yesterday's wet
slop froze overnight. Even worse - I had borrowed my son's
snowboarding helmet, but decided not to wear it that day because it
had been uncomfortably hot the day before.

for some reason, this is starting to look like one of those
old-fashioned skiing threads

OK, let's keep it going. Although I always wore a helmet when I was
motorcycling and bicycling, and actually have a ski helmet, I don't wear
one skiing. The myriad falls I've had involved body parts not protected
by a helmet, so so far, so good.

Maybe I'd wear it if I painted it day-glo orange...

You are just playing the odds. All the helmet does in decrease the
chance of fracturing your skull or lacerating your head. Even with one
on you can get a traumatic brain injury if you hit something hard
enough. They also protect you from skiers waving their poles around, or
clocking you with their skis on their shoulders when they turn around
carelessly. I've worn a helmet since the time I "saw stars" after a hard
hit on icy snow. At this point, I feel undressed without it.
Old July 21st 16, 03:57 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Wednesday, July 20, 2016 at 8:45:34 AM UTC-7, The Real Bev wrote:
On 07/20/2016 07:05 AM, Richard Henry wrote:
On Wednesday, July 6, 2016 at 8:42:32 AM UTC-7, BrritSki wrote:
On 06/07/2016 17:05, lal_truckee wrote:
From 0 to 20 degrees, tan() is also roughly the same as sin(), so you

--
Cheers, Bev
"I read somewhere that 77 per cent of all the mentally ill live in

From the box score in my son's last year playing college soccer (UC Davis at Oregon State)

Foul on UC Davis.
[59:57] Yellow card on UCD Henry, Alex.
[60:01] Shot by OSU Seymore, Will BLOCKED.
[60:08] OSU substitution: Small, Devonte for Bergen, Chance.
[60:08] UCD substitution: Mohageg, Lucas for Henry, Alex.

Reading between the lines -- my son committed the foul, for which he received a yellow card. He stood in the wall facing the free kick, and blocked the shot - with his head. That gave him a concussion, so he was taken out for the rest of the game, and that was the only time he missed all season.
Old July 21st 16, 03:03 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 7/20/16 8:57 PM, Richard Henry wrote:
From the box score in my son's last year playing college soccer (UC Davis at Oregon State)

Foul on UC Davis.
[59:57] Yellow card on UCD Henry, Alex.
[60:01] Shot by OSU Seymore, Will BLOCKED.
[60:08] OSU substitution: Small, Devonte for Bergen, Chance.
[60:08] UCD substitution: Mohageg, Lucas for Henry, Alex.

Reading between the lines -- my son committed the foul, for which he received a yellow card. He stood in the wall facing the free kick, and blocked the shot - with his head. That gave him a concussion, so he was taken out for the rest of the game, and that was the only time he missed all season.

Not to worry - there's medical magic in soccer.
I've seen players with injuries hideous, flopping in horrifying pain,
begging alternatively for mother and morphine, leap up instantly cured
to rejoin the fray.
As I said, I can only attribute it to soccer medical magic. May it
always protect your son.
Old July 21st 16, 07:37 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 07/21/2016 08:03 AM, lal_truckee wrote:
On 7/20/16 8:57 PM, Richard Henry wrote:
From the box score in my son's last year playing college soccer (UC
Davis at Oregon State)

Foul on UC Davis. [59:57] Yellow card on UCD Henry, Alex. [60:01]
Shot by OSU Seymore, Will BLOCKED. [60:08] OSU substitution: Small,
Devonte for Bergen, Chance. [60:08] UCD substitution: Mohageg,
Lucas for Henry, Alex.

Reading between the lines -- my son committed the foul, for which
he received a yellow card. He stood in the wall facing the free
kick, and blocked the shot - with his head. That gave him a
concussion, so he was taken out for the rest of the game, and that
was the only time he missed all season.

The only part of that I understood was from "blocked the shot" on. I
really hated soccer as a kid and was just SOOOO thankful that neither of
my kids showed any interest. If they had I would have had to beat it
out of them, and they were plenty tough -- I would have been really
tired when I was finished :-(

Not to worry - there's medical magic in soccer. I've seen players
with injuries hideous, flopping in horrifying pain, begging
alternatively for mother and morphine, leap up instantly cured to
rejoin the fray. As I said, I can only attribute it to soccer medical
magic. May it always protect your son.

See below.

--
Cheers, Bev
"If you expect to score points by whining, join a European soccer team."

--Demotivators poster