An enjoyable evening

Old December 14th 10, 11:04 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

Default An enjoyable evening

On 12/14/2010 04:26 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 13:54:38 -0500, wrote
this crap:

Is that on Blu-ray DVD yet?

I believe it's on DVD but I watched it streaming (free)
on Hulu.

But then you don't get to see it on your widescreen HD TV and you
can't use your surround sound.

Vote for Palin-Brown in 2012. Repeal the nightmares.

According to Hulu, if you pay for Hulu plus ($7.99/month)
you CAN watch it on your widescreen with surround sound.

Don't know if it gets you a faster connection for the higher
resolution or if it buffers further ahead, like half the
movie.

My son-in-law knows about this stuff, lots more than I do.
We don't even have a cable connection for TV, just use
it to watch movies in a no-signal area. No Oprah for us.
Old December 14th 10, 11:33 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Evojeesus

On Dec 14, 3:50*pm, wrote:

Vote for Palin-Brown in 2012. *Repeat the nightmares.

There, fixed it up for ya.
Old December 15th 10, 04:31 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 13:47:34 -0800 (PST), pigo
wrote this crap:

But then you don't get to see it on your widescreen HD TV and you
can't use your surround sound.

I have HD out on my laptop. Don't you?

Of course, but it looks better on my 40" LCD and it sounds better on
my 700 watt 7.1 surround sound.

Vote for Palin-Brown in 2012. Repeal the nightmares.

Merry Christmas everyone. God bless us all.
Old December 15th 10, 04:36 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 18:04:31 -0500, VtSkier wrote
this crap:

But then you don't get to see it on your widescreen HD TV and you
can't use your surround sound.

According to Hulu, if you pay for Hulu plus ($7.99/month)
you CAN watch it on your widescreen with surround sound.

Actually, I have an SVGA input on my TV so I can run a cable from the
laptop to the TV and watch it on the big screen, but still doesn't
allow me to use the surround sound. If I ran a speaker cable from the
speaker outputs on the computer I would only get stereo.

Old December 15th 10, 06:42 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

On Dec 14, 6:07*am, VtSkier wrote:
was spent watching the 1990 movie Ski Patrol. Old school hot dog
skiing and some pretty cute stunts and a fair amount of what
we now call "extreme" skiing, though most was just coming down
the hill fast with props.

Cute, funny. I noted that Robbie Huntoon was one of the stunt
skiers. A hometown boy, I skied with his dad. I note that he
is now located in the Truckee area as a real estate agent.

His mom was a hospital technician who came to draw blood on
a regular basis when I was in the hospital in Rutland in 1967.

God, I'm getting old!

Age apparently has not granted you wisdom, or balls, or manhood. Must
be a drag being the same asshole day after day after day.
I spent the evening in Bend visiting with an old friend, we go back
twenty years. Currently ensconced in the guest room. Fresh pow at
Bachelor tomorrow.
I win.
Old December 15th 10, 06:45 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

On Dec 14, 8:39*pm, wrote:
On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 17:27:24 -0800, The Real Bev
wrote this crap:

On 12/14/10 13:26, wrote:

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 13:54:38 -0500, *wrote
this crap:

*Is that on Blu-ray DVD yet?

I believe it's on DVD but I watched it streaming (free)
on Hulu.

But then you don't get to see it on your widescreen HD TV and you
can't use your surround sound.

1. *Sit closer.

2. *Move your speakers.

Thank you. *This has been a public service announcement on behalf of
cheapskates everywhere.

Not the same. *And the speakers are fixed to the laptop. *If you use
headphones you're still only going to get stereo, not surround sound.

Geez, I've got an old XP box hooked through my 55 inch high def, sound
goes through the stereo. Get hi def, surround sound, all the bells
and whistles. If only Hulu actually streamed decent hi-def. Same for
Netflix. DVD quality is about the best I ever get.
Guess I will just have to actually ski on a great mountain in fresh
snow tomorrow. Life is a bitch, and then you post to rsa.
Old December 15th 10, 10:39 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 22:45:46 -0800 (PST), twobuddha
wrote this crap:

Geez, I've got an old XP box hooked through my 55 inch high def, sound
goes through the stereo. Get hi def, surround sound, all the bells
and whistles. If only Hulu actually streamed decent hi-def. Same for
Netflix. DVD quality is about the best I ever get.
Guess I will just have to actually ski on a great mountain in fresh
snow tomorrow. Life is a bitch, and then you post to rsa.

Liar. You got none of that. You probably use an old 19" black and
white that you stole from the soup kitchen.

Old December 15th 10, 11:14 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 22:55:55 -0800, The Real Bev
wrote this crap:

Not the same. And the speakers are fixed to the laptop. If you use
headphones you're still only going to get stereo, not surround sound.

SS is over-rated.

That's the stupidest thing you've ever said.

I mostly only notice it when something loud behind me
startles me. Not something I want to pay extra for. There are real
advantages to growing up -- you can use MUCH cheaper stereo equipment.

Either you've never heard good Surround Sound, or you don't watch
DVDs, or you watch those sappy love movies with no car chases or
explosions. Or you need to get your hearing checked.

Have you discovered the ASUS OPlay? Nice to have one piece of
relatively inexpensive equipment that can find all your AV stuff on all
your computers, DVD/CD players, thumbdrives, etc. and play it through
your big-screen TV and SS stereo.

Never heard of it. I don't need it. My TV has an SVGA port a USB
port, and two HDMI ports. My Surround Sound has three AV inputs, a TV
input, three HDMI inputs, a USB input, a HDMI output to the TV, an AV
output to the TV, and AM/FM.

My old SS had only Dolby, Dolby Digital, and DTS. That's why I bought
a new one. New Blu-Ray disks have DTS HD which the old one couldn't
play. The new one has Dolby, Dolby Digital, DTS, DTS HD, DTS ES, DTS
Express, DTS 96/24, NEO:6, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital TrueHD,
Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Pro Logic II, IIx, IIz. And it was only $229
at Wal-Mart.

I had to buy two more speakers since this is 7.1 and I had to buy a
powered subwoofer since the old one didn't need it. The book says that
it will work fine with just two speakers but where's the fun in that?

A better interface would definitely be nicer, though.

Don't know what you're talking about. It couldn't be easier.

Old December 15th 10, 11:19 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 22:42:48 -0800 (PST), twobuddha
wrote this crap:

I spent the evening in Bend visiting with an old friend, we go back
twenty years.

Old prison butty, huh?

Currently ensconced in the guest room.

You mean that you're mooching off him and sleeping on the living room
couch. Sucks to be you.