Why Is Austria Skiing Dirt Cheap For USA Right Now?

Old August 26th 03, 04:31 PM
svadas

Default Why Is Austria Skiing Dirt Cheap For USA Right Now?

I do have a quote of $886 USD for airfare/transfers 7 nights at Hotel
Felsenhof in Lech (w/half board). Seems to be a better location, but
price is based on flying out on Dec 12 which may be toooo early for
snow still. Any thoughts?
Old August 27th 03, 01:14 AM
BJohansson

Lech is a great area because on one ticket (at least it used to be this way),
you can ski Lech, Zurs, St Christoph, St Anton and one other small-ish area.
Lech and Zurs are actually linked by lifts. On the downside, it is probably
the most expensive place to stay and play in Austria. Not sure what half-board
gives you, but if it doesn't include dinner, you may be in for a little sticker
shock at the restaurants. Not on the scale of Vail mind you, but for Austria,
it's pretty pricey.

All that being said, I wouldn't bet on decent snow that early. We rarely went
skiing anywhere except glaciers before mid-February when I lived in Europe.
Old August 27th 03, 08:57 AM
MoonMan

In , BJohansson typed:
Lech is a great area because on one ticket (at least it used to be
this way), you can ski Lech, Zurs, St Christoph, St Anton and one
other small-ish area. Lech and Zurs are actually linked by lifts. On
the downside, it is probably the most expensive place to stay and
play in Austria. Not sure what half-board gives you, but if it
doesn't include dinner, you may be in for a little sticker shock at
the restaurants. Not on the scale of Vail mind you, but for Austria,
it's pretty pricey.

All that being said, I wouldn't bet on decent snow that early. We
rarely went skiing anywhere except glaciers before mid-February when
I lived in Europe.

Half Board is bed, Breakfast and Evening meal.

--
Chris *:-)

Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!

www.suffolkvikings.org.uk

Old August 27th 03, 12:31 PM
Stephan

Last year I was in St.Anton the second week of december. Above 2000m. the
snowcoverage was good. Below there was sufficient artificial snow. Lech is
better most of the time.

-Stephan

Old August 28th 03, 10:15 AM
Ian Spare

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 10:58:29 +0100, "Jonathan Gogan"
wrote:

"Ian Spare" was updset enough to wrote
Of course it's !"£$ing ski station, are you on drugs or what?
Before posting drivel again try and get your brain engaged and sort
out your posting style, ie attibution and don't top post.

More Drivel:
I would call 'Station Oz' a ski station. As it is, a, well ... 'ski
station'
I would call St Anotn a village/town as it is a well... town?

The is Europe, it's rec.skiing.resorts.europe, we call a ski station
somewhere that has access to a ski area, like a train station lets you
ride the train.

Thanks for modifying your posting style.
Old August 28th 03, 10:41 AM
Ivan Rafn

news
wrote:

"Ian Spare" was updset enough to wrote
Of course it's !"£$ing ski station, are you on drugs or what?
Before posting drivel again try and get your brain engaged and sort
out your posting style, ie attibution and don't top post.

More Drivel:
I would call 'Station Oz' a ski station. As it is, a, well ... 'ski
station'
I would call St Anotn a village/town as it is a well... town?

The is Europe, it's rec.skiing.resorts.europe, we call a ski station
somewhere that has access to a ski area, like a train station lets you
ride the train.

Hi, I am puzzled too.

Please don't be offended, but in Scandinavia and all cross Europe we would
surely call a town like St. Anton a town. This apparently is different in
UK.
I am curious, how do one differentiate between a town and a mere station?

(And try to bear with the top posters, Outlook Express , the most widely
used newsreader/mailer, has its default that way. It creates a blank line on
top, and places the insertionpoint there. You have to remember to delete the
top line and skip to the bottom every time you post, - slips me from time
to time as well)

Best regards

Old August 28th 03, 11:13 AM
MoonMan

In k, Ivan Rafn typed:

Hi, I am puzzled too.

Please don't be offended, but in Scandinavia and all cross Europe we
would surely call a town like St. Anton a town. This apparently is
different in UK.
I am curious, how do one differentiate between a town and a mere
station?

I think to put it simply a Ski Station may be a village or a town, or just
some buildings at the bottom of a lift. in europe most ski stations are
towns, but elsewhere this may not be the case.

(And try to bear with the top posters, Outlook Express , the most
widely used newsreader/mailer, has its default that way. It creates a
blank line on top, and places the insertionpoint there. You have to
remember to delete the top line and skip to the bottom every time you
post, - slips me from time to time as well)

Best regards

Bottom posting is a pain! it is a remnant of using teletypes. Why can't we
move with the technology?

I only bottom post, because if you don't you get shouted at. If people
snipped irrelevant text it would not be such a problem, but they don't and I
get ****ed off by having to scroll down through reams of stuff I have read
before to find a 1 line silly comment at the bottom. if it was top posted
life would be much simpler!

I use OE-quotefix which can be set to make OE bottom post

Old August 28th 03, 11:41 AM
Ace

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 12:41:35 +0200, "Ivan Rafn"
wrote:

"Ian Spare" skrev i en meddelelse
news

snip

The is Europe, it's rec.skiing.resorts.europe, we call a ski station
somewhere that has access to a ski area, like a train station lets you
ride the train.

Hi, I am puzzled too.

Please don't be offended, but in Scandinavia and all cross Europe we would
surely call a town like St. Anton a town. This apparently is different in
UK.
I am curious, how do one differentiate between a town and a mere station?

'Mere' is the misleading part here. In French, anywhere there is
skiing is referred to as a Station de Ski. It's in no way connected to
the existence or otherwise of town, village or city.

(And try to bear with the top posters, Outlook Express , the most widely
used newsreader/mailer, has its default that way.

As do many proper newsreaders. It's not exactly rocket science to hit
page_down a couple of times, trimming unwanted verbiage as you do so.
TBH I had to hit reply a second time to test this out, as it's so much
an automatic reaction.

It creates a blank line on
top, and places the insertionpoint there. You have to remember to delete the
top line and skip to the bottom every time you post, - slips me from time
to time as well)

There's no need to delete the blank line.

--
Ace (bruce dot rogers at roche dot com)
Old August 28th 03, 01:44 PM
Jonathan Gogan

"Ian Spare" wrote in message
news On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 10:58:29 +0100, "Jonathan Gogan"
wrote:

"Ian Spare" was updset enough to wrote
Of course it's !"£$ing ski station, are you on drugs or what?
Before posting drivel again try and get your brain engaged and sort
out your posting style, ie attibution and don't top post.

More Drivel:
I would call 'Station Oz' a ski station. As it is, a, well ... 'ski
station'
I would call St Anotn a village/town as it is a well... town?

The is Europe, it's rec.skiing.resorts.europe, we call a ski station
somewhere that has access to a ski area, like a train station lets you
ride the train.

Thanks for modifying your posting style.
--
Oh Ian,
I am so grateful for your kind words.

p.s. "Modifying style": see 'kettle/pot'

Jonathan "it's all good"

Old August 28th 03, 02:45 PM
Ian Spare

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 13:41:23 +0200, Ace wrote:

'Mere' is the misleading part here. In French, anywhere there is
skiing is referred to as a Station de Ski. It's in no way connected to
the existence or otherwise of town, village or city.

Quite right, I'd forgotton that the French "stations de ski" was
generally translated as ski resorts until you mentioned it.
Personally, resorts doesn't sound right to me, it suggest places you
vaction in, 90% of my skiing (probably like yours) is weekends in one
of my flats or days from the house (which should improve this year as
we're living near enough for Verbier).