Opinions on La Tania please !

Old July 11th 03, 09:22 AM
Ben Hodson

Default Opinions on La Tania please !

Thanks Sue,

The cashpoint info is worth having !

The chalet we are thinking of trying to get is owned by a friend of a friend
so the whole thing depends on the friend coming as well as the f-of-a-f will
only rent it out to people he knows - which is fair enough.

I've mostly skied in Canada (I was out there for a few years), so the only
European resort I know is Les Arc 2000. Which had good skiing but the
village was horrible and concrete compared to Whistler for eg.

So what we are after is a resort with good access to guaranteed snow, plus a
little bit of charm rather than concrete bunkers.

What is everyone's favourite resort in the Alps ?

Cheers !

Ben.

"Sue" wrote in message
In message , Ben Hodson
writes
Hi all,

I'm getting around to organising a skiing holiday for about 8 people next
year somewhere in the Alps.

Current plans are for La Tania...

We were there in March. It's very small, maybe two bars three cafes and
a supermarket. These were okay but not outstanding, and prices are high
everywhere in the 3Vs. We did our serious shopping in 1850 and skied
back with it.
There's a free bus to Courchevels/Meribel reasonably often but not very
late.

There is NO CASHPOINT in La Tania, have a wad of Euros with you on
arrival. You can easily get more later as you pass through the larger
resorts.

Access to the skiing is by gondola, no problems unless you miss the last
bubble home at night and your intermediates don't like the bowling-alley
resort run.

The village is all purpose-built and it's on a mountain side, there are
lots of outdoor stairs which are no fun in ski boots or if icy - check
up on access to your chalet.

It was very noisy one night, the guests and staff from a particular
chalet were tobogganing down the bottom part of the resort run on safety
padding removed from some slopeside structure. On their third trip they
were ambushed by a posse of gendarmes, and the tour operator's resort
manager had to go and claim the staff at four in the morning! I don't
suppose this is a regular problem...

I'd be happy to stay there again, and met some people who go there every
year.

--
Sue ])

---

Old July 12th 03, 10:07 PM
Edi

"Ben Hodson" wrote in message
Hi all,

I'm getting around to organising a skiing holiday for about 8 people next
year somewhere in the Alps.

Current plans are for La Tania...

Normal questions:

Good places to stay (chalet accomodation preferred).
Good places to eat/drink.
General impressions
Transfers - what are the easy options Lyons/Chamberry/Ski Train ?

The group will be mostly intermediate/advanced. I'm also very happy to do

it
all myself so a package tour (whilst easier) is not essential.

Many thanks,

Ben.

---

We spent a great week in LT in Feb... snow was great and an excellent link
into the whole of the 3 valleys. Great for us with kids.

That said it depends what you are looking for ... it is very small but has a
few good bars and places to eat. I preferred it to the larger resorts but
that is really just a personal preference. I am sure Nic Atkinson of
Accomodation on the Alps can give you the complete run-down on the place. We
are already booked to go back in Feb 2004.

All the best,

Edi

Old July 13th 03, 09:22 AM
Sue

In message , Ben Hodson
writes

So what we are after is a resort with good access to guaranteed snow, plus a
little bit of charm rather than concrete bunkers.

La Tania isn't in the Benidorm-les-Alpes class as it's too new, there
are only a few tall buildings as a centre and the rest's mostly hidden
among trees. It has a magnificent view over the valley it's perched on
the side of. You could ask your chalet contact for pics.

Serious charm means old pre-tourism towns, definitely below the tree
line (snow on trees is pretty but requires trees!) Mostly these places
have low-alititude skiing (wait for snow then book a last-minute
bargain) or else are very expensive.

Then there's charm-of-a-sort: eg Val d'Isere which looks as if it'd
hired Asterix the Gaul as its architectural consultant.
--
Sue ];(
Old July 14th 03, 08:41 AM
Ben Hodson

La Tania seems to be a good starting point, most of the people that have
replied seem to be fans.

The friend with the chalet has got back to me and the free periods a

31 Jan for 14 days

and

28 Feb for 14 days

Any advice as to likely snow conditions and numbers of French School
children likely to be encountered in those periods ?

Oh and transfers - and public transport options from Lyons, Geneva or
Chamberry to La Tania ?

Once again, thanks for all your advice

Ben.

---

Old July 14th 03, 07:35 PM
Sue

In message , Ben Hodson
writes

The friend with the chalet has got back to me and the free periods a

31 Jan for 14 days
28 Feb for 14 days

Any advice as to likely snow conditions

Late Jan to early Feb was good last year with serious fresh snow.
Late Feb to early March was dry and warm with serious slush.
Unless a credible weather wonk tells you otherwise, the earlier dates
are a better bet.
But remember kids, any skiing holiday is a gamble on the weather!

and numbers of French School
children likely to be encountered in those periods ?

Get yer calendrier scolaire 'e
http://www.education.gouv.fr/prat/cal03.htm
and scroll down for details.

The one to always avoid is the first week of the Paris (zone C)
fortnight which is 14th to 22nd Feb - you won't hit that, but both your
fortnights have one week of French school holidays.

Oh and transfers - and public transport options from Lyons, Geneva or
Chamberry to La Tania ?

Sorry, I don't know. The usual method is by pre-booked minibus from the
airport, here's a URL to start you off:

http://www.latania.co.uk/resort/transfers.htm

There's a tourist office in La Tania, you can probably get its phone
number from its website:

http://www.latania.com/

This is summer on rs normal service ("my favourite resort's better
than your favourite, yours is flat and ugly and everybody's ridden it")
will be resumed when the peak booking season arrives.
--
Sue ];(