Mountain High threatened by wildfire

Old August 24th 16, 03:54 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

Default Mountain High threatened by wildfire

On 08/23/2016 10:43 AM, Richard Henry wrote:
On Friday, August 19, 2016 at 5:40:52 PM UTC-7, The Real Bev wrote:

Did you ever go to what used to be called Ski Sunrise and is now
Mountain High North? I went once. I read s story about a woman
who skied down to the bottom (the lift is at the top, in the
parking lot), got lost, and sent her 7-year-old daughter for help.

I went up there once in the summer time when I was just touristing
around in the mountains. Looked pretty bleak without any snow,
which I guess most ski areas do.

I found that Cal Tech/JPL has an observatory right next door, and
the other end of that day in the mountains was at the Mt Wilson
observatory.

Table Mountain. Before I was a skier I drove up there ("Go to the far
end of the Sunrise parking lot and go up the road that says DO NOT
ENTER") to hire the maintenance staff -- CSC had just taken over the
contract (body-shop type, designed to limit the cost to JPL/NASA by
eliminating pension eligibility and other longevity benefits by turning
over the CPFF contract every few years -- a truly chicken**** practice,
presumably employed by NASA in all installations).

It started snowing while I was up there, which bothered me. The
snow-plow driver (one of the new hires) said it wouldn't be a problem,
but if it was he'd go down the hill in front of me.

My first actual snowfall experience.

--
Cheers, Bev
"I believe that forgiving [terrorists] is God's function.
Old August 24th 16, 06:17 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Wednesday, August 24, 2016 at 8:54:48 AM UTC-7, The Real Bev wrote:
[...]

A theme I learned growing up in Vermont - don't pass a snowplow - the road is much worse in front of it.