Beginning tree riding?

Old January 28th 05, 04:59 AM
Mike M. Miskulin

"Mike T" wrote in news:2NjKd.2547$fT4.1281
@trnddc09:

looking for pointers on beginning tree riding.

Following someone else's line, providing it's a good line, is the
easiest way, it reduces the decision-making factor and lets you
concentrate on not getting tripped up.

I think thats probably the best bet.

A run where you can duck in and out of trees is a good place to

start.

Ah..no its not like that up here. I wish I had a cheap digi
cam to bring and take a picture, but I found this shot on the
web:

http://almostdangerous.com/sugarbush.jpg

which shows what the 'woods' are like here. Once you're in
you're in!

PS - the run on the right is Rip Cord, generally a 2x bumped
run. I only wiped once yesterday to the amusment of the few
on the lift!

Old January 29th 05, 05:06 PM

I'd add..

Personally I don't go with the "aim for the gaps" thing, it's too
obvious and in any case I like to go fast, so I like to have the board
close to one tree, giving me a fair bit of room on the other side. That
way I have almost twice as much space as those of you who go down the
middle.

That also kind of helps with the tree wells, because you know which
well you're in danger of ending up in, and you can make sure you don't.

Expect to get a few rips in your gear, at least until you're really on
it. Obviously wear goggles or shades for this reason.

Ride in pairs, but don't rely on the other guy.

Steeper is easier. Ride fall line.

You can't sideslip powder, so you really need to know how to turn. On
demand and without fuss. Practice in moguls.

A tree-board like a Fish makes it easier as it's got a little tail.
Otherwise a powder board with a soft tail helps. You can use the tail
to break by sinking it, although that's just one technique.

If you're deep in the woods following a track, remember which side of
it you're on. Sounds obvious, but you'd be surprised how many people
get lost when all you need to know is "do I go left or right?". Try to
understand the way the terrain flows, and know where you are.

Figure out how you're going to deal with a tree well, and know how to
release your bindings. Clicker people tie the releases together with a
bit of rope; Intec is a bit easier.

Try following a friend who knows the deal, as it's easier to do this at
first than to make your own line.

Try not to stop. It takes effort to stop and even more effort to wait
around in powder. Just ride the thing.

Not all trees are equal. It depends how much glading or whatever has
been done on the things. Try to find more open sections to start with.

Be aware of things like creeks and cliffs. You can easily get in deep
trouble if you don't take the terrain into accound.

I've seen some excellent videos of avalanches in the trees.
Breath when you're above the powder and enjoy the cedar scent.

Old January 30th 05, 10:05 PM
djonesca

The way I learned to do trees is by dipping in and out of the trees
along the sides of the runs. As I got better and more confident, I
would stay longer in the trees before coming out. The part about
looking at the gaps and not the trees is critical, but after awhile it
became second nature for me. Don't know how it is for other people, but
eventually riding in the trees became a flow of up-and-down rhythm as I
passed between the trees. Quite cool actually.

Also, if you love powder you'll eventually start chasing it in the
trees because long after it's gone from the slopes you can still find
untracked snow in the trees.

Dave