Lake Tahoe Beginner Resort

Old January 28th 05, 12:16 AM
Bryan

Default Lake Tahoe Beginner Resort

My son wants to switch from skis to board this year.

What are the best Lake Tahoe resorts for a 12 year old who wants to switch
from skis to board? He'll need lessons since I can't teach snowboarding.
He likes trees on skis, but I'm guessing he'll stay out of the trees on a
board.

Besides a listing of your favorite beginner mountain I'd like to know why
you think it's the best that Lake Tahoe has to offer.

Thanks

Old January 28th 05, 12:36 AM
Dmitry

"Bryan" wrote

What are the best Lake Tahoe resorts for a 12 year old who wants to switch
from skis to board?

Boreal - because it's cheap. You don't need a big mountain to learn to ride.

Alpine Meadows - because it's not expensive and it has a good amount of
mild wide blue runs.

Old January 28th 05, 01:11 AM
Mike T

Boreal - because it's cheap. You don't need a big mountain to learn to
ride.

I second the Boreal recommendation. In addition to it being cheap, the
runs are a good length for beginners - not to long - and you;re never too
far away from being able to eat lunch. When I was learning, in the late
90's, they had a good instructor crew. They also had some good specials on
early-morning private lessons for small groups.

Mike T

Old January 28th 05, 01:23 AM
sam

boreal is cheap and fun. i have ridden there 6 times in the last 2 years. i
originally took snowboarding lessons there but i realized that most of the
learning was more easily accomplished by falling and learning how to turn on
my own. not that it helps you a lot, but most people that i know have
learned better from "doing" than being "taught". that's not to say that good
technique isn't important to learn but you kind of HAVE to learn how to turn
and stop when you immediately head to the top of the hill and have nowhere
to go but down.

"Bryan" wrote

Old January 28th 05, 04:05 AM
Mike M. Miskulin

"Bryan" wrote in news:LngKd.16858
:

Of the 5 in Tahoe I've been too I would suggest Homewood. Besides
the cheap price ($25) and some tremendous views of the lake, it
has some fairly easy stuff to start out on. I've no idea the
quality of instructors there, but if your kid is switching from
skis I don't think he will need a whole lot to get going.

check out their web page, here's a link with a photo
http://www.skihomewood.com/tahoe/gra...mewood/99/phot
os/lakejumplg.JPG
Old January 28th 05, 04:38 AM
Brian

Right next to Boreal is Donner Ski Ranch. I can't recommend it enough for
this purpose. It is cheaper than Boreal with plenty of terrain to carry him
through to intermediate, and the rental prices / beginner instruction
classes are second to none. Also, it's fairly uncrowded all the time.

Brian.

"Bryan" wrote

Old January 28th 05, 06:40 AM
Bryan

"Mike M. Miskulin" wrote in message
. 44...
"Bryan" wrote in news:LngKd.16858
:

Of the 5 in Tahoe I've been too I would suggest Homewood. Besides
the cheap price ($25) and some tremendous views of the lake, it
has some fairly easy stuff to start out on. I've no idea the
quality of instructors there, but if your kid is switching from
skis I don't think he will need a whole lot to get going.

check out their web page, here's a link with a photo
http://www.skihomewood.com/tahoe/gra...mewood/99/phot
os/lakejumplg.JPG

Thanks guys!

I appreciate the suggestions and especially the reasons.

Bryan

Old January 28th 05, 04:10 PM
jaycb74

I would not recommend Homewood just b/c its a tough mountain to get around
on for a beginner, the layout can be difficult. Once you progress, its a
great mountain.

I've heard great things about Boreal and Donner as well from beginners. I
would also recommend Squaw, great beginner terrain if you don't mind the $.

m...

Old January 28th 05, 08:13 PM
David

"Brian" wrote in message ...
Right next to Boreal is Donner Ski Ranch. I can't recommend it enough for
this purpose. It is cheaper than Boreal with plenty of terrain to carry him
through to intermediate,

I see that place whenever we go to Sugarbowl, and have been tempted by the low prices.

I checked the Donner Ski Ranch web site, and it looks like the back side is closed now, taking most of
the blue terrain with it.

How tall is it? If it's taller than Boreal, we might pay it a visit when more of their chairs are
open.

Old January 30th 05, 04:26 PM
Brian

"David" wrote in message

"Brian" wrote in message

Right next to Boreal is Donner Ski Ranch. I can't recommend it enough

for
this purpose. It is cheaper than Boreal with plenty of terrain to carry

him
through to intermediate,

I see that place whenever we go to Sugarbowl, and have been tempted by the

low prices.

I checked the Donner Ski Ranch web site, and it looks like the back side

is closed now, taking most of
the blue terrain with it.

How tall is it? If it's taller than Boreal, we might pay it a visit

when more of their chairs are
open.

It's not any taller than Boreal. You can see the Boreal summit up top and
I'd guess they are at about the same altitude. And if the backside is
closed, then Donner is almost strictly beginner only. If you take the front
lift to the top (instead of hopping off at the bunny hill) then there's one
run coming down that has blue pitch to it, but only for a 100' or so. I'm
surprised the backside is closed. Anyhow, I used Donner for half a season
when I was first learning and it was great. Now I never go. Sugar Bowl
only in Norden. And with Alpine at $39, even Sugar Bowl is a tough sell
now...

Brian.