Birkebeiner-Rennet cancelled - wow

Old March 17th 07, 10:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
John Forrest Tomlinson

Default Birkebeiner-Rennet cancelled - wow

http://www.fasterskier.com/racing4176.html
--
JT
****************************
Old March 17th 07, 11:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Eddy Rapid

Wow is right! Safety does come first obviously, especially when people
haven't signed up to an expedition-style adventure.

I'm thinking of doing the Birkebeiner-Rennet next year. I think of
all those people who put serious effort into training and then the
serious money going there from a far, for this to happen... I think of
RSN's Peter Hoffman...

I wonder how bad it really got.

Parham.

Old March 17th 07, 11:51 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
shreddir

As I watched NRK between the coverage of the various World Cup events they
cut away to an interview with some old guy competitors at one of the
checkpoints on I guess part of the course that breaks out on an open
plateau. The wind was way brutal, the snow looked like it was sandpapering
everybody's faces, think storm scenes out of a movie like "Scott of the
Antarctic". All I got to say those master age groupers are tough! I
might be able to make a small video clip torrent if there's enough demand.
I'm going to have find it buried in my 5 hours of Holmenkollen recording
this morning.

oups.com...

Old March 18th 07, 01:06 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Wow, it must have been really bad. I came very close to traveling to
Norway just to ski that race this year, I'm now glad I didn't. I
decided to go ski the Tour of Anchorage instead. The friendly people,
cold and biting wind, cold sunshine, and the packed snow/ice
everywhere reminded me of growing up in North Dakota. Except that ND
doesn't have any mountains, or trees, or oceans, or glaciers, or
bears, or fjords. Come to think of it, it wasn't much like ND.

Speaking of the Tour, I had a great time skiing the tour, very nice
course. I was doing great through 45K, but I planned my food/liquids/
pace poorly and hit the wall hard. I struggled throught the last 5K
and lost a lot of time and places, but I still finished OK. I'd
definitely do it again, but woe to those who ski that on a windy day.
Much of the course is right on the Cook Inlet with marginal wind
protection, it would not have been fun a couple of days earlier.

Jon

Old March 18th 07, 09:20 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Mathisen

Eddy Rapid wrote:
Wow is right! Safety does come first obviously, especially when people
haven't signed up to an expedition-style adventure.

I'm thinking of doing the Birkebeiner-Rennet next year. I think of
all those people who put serious effort into training and then the
serious money going there from a far, for this to happen... I think of
RSN's Peter Hoffman...

I wonder how bad it really got.

According to the organizers, they had measured a maximal gust of 62 m/s
(!) on Raudfjellet at the moment when they decided to cancel. Average
wind was up to 20+ m/s at that time.

20+ m/s is about 45-50 mph, 62 m/s is well into hurricane territory,
i.e. 140+ mph.

Terje

--
-
Old March 18th 07, 03:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Henriksen

"Terje Mathisen" skrev i melding
Eddy Rapid wrote:
Wow is right! Safety does come first obviously, especially when people
haven't signed up to an expedition-style adventure.

I'm thinking of doing the Birkebeiner-Rennet next year. I think of
all those people who put serious effort into training and then the
serious money going there from a far, for this to happen... I think of
RSN's Peter Hoffman...

I wonder how bad it really got.

According to the organizers, they had measured a maximal gust of 62 m/s
(!) on Raudfjellet at the moment when they decided to cancel. Average wind
was up to 20+ m/s at that time.

20+ m/s is about 45-50 mph, 62 m/s is well into hurricane territory, i.e.
140+ mph.

Why don't they thing of using sunday as a spare day; bad weather on saturday
may not mean cancelling the race if sunday also is available for racing?

--
Terje Henriksen
Kirkenes

Old March 19th 07, 12:34 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Eddy Rapid

On Mar 18, 11:29 am, "Terje Henriksen" wrote:
"Terje Mathisen" skrev i ...

Eddy Rapid wrote:
Wow is right! Safety does come first obviously, especially when people
haven't signed up to an expedition-style adventure.

I'm thinking of doing the Birkebeiner-Rennet next year. I think of
all those people who put serious effort into training and then the
serious money going there from a far, for this to happen... I think of
RSN's Peter Hoffman...

I wonder how bad it really got.

According to the organizers, they had measured a maximal gust of 62 m/s
(!) on Raudfjellet at the moment when they decided to cancel. Average wind
was up to 20+ m/s at that time.

20+ m/s is about 45-50 mph, 62 m/s is well into hurricane territory, i.e.
140+ mph.

Why don't they thing of using sunday as a spare day; bad weather on saturday
may not mean cancelling the race if sunday also is available for racing?

I was thinking of exactly the same thing. I was thinking it would be
good if all Worldloppet races were held on Saturdays so that there is
always a chance to shift them, if the conditions are poor one day and
they improve for the next.

Anyone know what the weather conditions were like for the Birkibeiner-
Rennet course on the Sunday?
--
Terje Henriksen
Kirkenes

Old March 19th 07, 12:40 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Eddy Rapid

Eddy Rapid wrote:
[...]

Birkebeiner-
Rennet course on the Sunday?

Old March 19th 07, 01:23 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Marsh Jones

Terje Henriksen wrote:
"Terje Mathisen" skrev i melding

Why don't they thing of using sunday as a spare day; bad weather on saturday
may not mean cancelling the race if sunday also is available for racing?

The same question was asked about the American Birkebeiner this year -
why not move it to Sunday. The answer was that they could not afford
the staff and community impact on volunteers, law enforcement, bus
drivers, businesses and everything else that is involved. Financially,
it might be more ruinous to delay the event by a day than to cancel it
completely.
I'm just amazed at the sheer logistics of collecting all those folks,
most of whom are now no longer dressed for standing around, and busing
them to the finish. And to make the traffic management decisions _on
the fly_ must have been simply amazing.
It's been a very odd winter!

Marsh Jones
Minnesota
Old March 19th 07, 06:20 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Henriksen

"Marsh Jones" skrev i melding
Terje Henriksen wrote:
"Terje Mathisen" skrev i melding

Why don't they thing of using sunday as a spare day; bad weather on
saturday may not mean cancelling the race if sunday also is available for
racing?

The same question was asked about the American Birkebeiner this year - why
not move it to Sunday. The answer was that they could not afford the
staff and community impact on volunteers, law enforcement, bus drivers,
businesses and everything else that is involved. Financially, it might be
more ruinous to delay the event by a day than to cancel it completely.

In the case og the Norwegian Birkebeiner, it would mean to use the spare day
(sunday) once in 70 years. I think that would be affordable. I don't like
economic arguing.

--
Terje Henriksen
Kirkenes