carbon pole repair?

Old May 31st 11, 02:41 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default carbon pole repair?

Has anyone here tried using carbon fiber fabric and epoxy to repair a
carbon fiber pole? If yes, can you recommend the type of epoxy and the
fiber fabric? I broke 2 poles within the last 2 weeks rollerskiing ,
by getting the tip of a pole stuck in a gap between concrete slabs at
a bike path bridge. One of the poles was an Exel Black Feather, so I
am mildly annoyed. I was thinking to get a thin aluminum tube from
McMaster and using aluminum putty to glue the pieces together. May be
carbon fiber would be a more elegant way, but I have no experience
with carbon fiber. Don't want to spend $300 on a new pair of poles w/o
giving repair a try.
Old May 31st 11, 05:56 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Mon, 30 May 2011 22:54:02 -0400
dwall wrote:

On 5/30/2011 10:41 PM, wrote:
Has anyone here tried using carbon fiber fabric and epoxy to repair
a carbon fiber pole? If yes, can you recommend the type of epoxy
and the fiber fabric? I broke 2 poles within the last 2 weeks
rollerskiing , by getting the tip of a pole stuck in a gap between
concrete slabs at a bike path bridge. One of the poles was an Exel
Black Feather, so I am mildly annoyed. I was thinking to get a thin
aluminum tube from McMaster and using aluminum putty to glue the
pieces together. May be carbon fiber would be a more elegant way,
but I have no experience with carbon fiber. Don't want to spend
$300 on a new pair of poles w/o giving repair a try.

Why use Carbon poles???? If it is training not racing then use cheap
poles....Save the good ones for races...

Strongly disagree. While the quality and weight of cheap poles has
improved immensely over the years, they are still typically heavy,
harder to control on the return swing (without having to compensate)
and more prone to leave blisters, especially on long rollers such as
I imagine runcyclexcski takes. Try doing a 1.5-2 hour DP session with
those cheap things. The middle/upper middle of the line composite
ones, sort of Swix Team or one down, are probably the minimum. I use
Infinity poles for rollerskiing and they are very light and stiff. If a
repair doesn't work out, contact me, as I have some spare ones
(Infinity and maybe Swix Team) around that may fit your needs.

Gene
Old May 31st 11, 06:54 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

dwall wrote:
On 5/30/2011 10:41 PM, wrote:
[...]

Cheap poles flex when DP. Gene, what's your pole length? I may still
get a pair of Alulites though. Did not have a problem with pole
breaking for ~5 years, this particular bike path has a lot of silly
concrete slab joints.
Old May 31st 11, 02:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Mon, 30 May 2011 23:54:17 -0700 (PDT)
" wrote:

It's the Allulites (late '90s) I was really thinking of by heavy and
blisters, though I think the $50-70 Rex poles I use for pole hiking
might not be so great at regular lengths and on asphalt. I agree about
flexing, which along with less weight is why I switched from Teams to
Infinitys several years ago. My extra classical poles are in the 155
range (with grips) and skates are ~167-8. I was using Swix grips and
Pro Straps with the Infinitys, so I'd have to check what grips are
still around. This past season I decided that my poles were too short,
so I switched over to the One Way grips, which added a cm or two. Then
I bought two pairs of Diamond 10s on sale - I can see why they're a WC
favorite - and made the Infinitys my rollerski poles.

Old May 31st 11, 07:03 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

" wrote:

[...]

I like the swing weight of the Exels, even though they started getting
fatter at the tips recently.
I will try to use tent poles for ski pole repair. McMaster's aluminum
tubes are too just thick.. may be I can lathe them down.
Old June 9th 11, 12:06 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default carbon pole repair: Pole fixed

Here is an update to my recent post on an Exel Black Feather carbon
pole repair.

I measured the ID of the broken pole section and it came out at about
0.500. I got a 5" carbon fiber ferrule (0.49" OD) from he
CarbonFiberTubeShop. They shipped fast and cheap I used epoxy TRA-BOND
2116 kit from Emerson and Cuming (about 8 grams of epoxy). I
constructed a basic jig to hold the pole parts straight and aligned
during curing. I did not sand and did not diamond saw to clean up the
broken parts, and just joined them back, fitting them as well as I
could. Took the poles for a roll yesterday, everything held well for a
1 hr long DP session. Total cost: about $1500 (shipping of ferrule,
epoxy). There was no carbon tape on the outside, I may add it later.
Will use the same technique to glue my other broken pole, but will
have to use a 1/4 OD carbon tube since the other pole broke at a
narrower section.

Old June 9th 11, 12:07 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

the cost was of course 15.00