Vehicle Break-Ins At Three Rivers Parks Parking Lots - PLEASE READ

Old November 2nd 03, 02:32 AM
Geelling

Default Vehicle Break-Ins At Three Rivers Parks Parking Lots - PLEASE READ

According to Three Rivers Parks officials, there has been a rash of car
break-ins at several park parking lots, including Baker Park. Sadly, on
Saturday, November 1, I became one of the victims.

Following a rollerski on Baker's paved loop, my daughter and I returned to the
County Road 19 parking lot to find a Three River's Ranger parked next to my
car. The Ranger was there in response to a 911 call reporting a vehicle
break-in. The call was received at exactly 3:30pm. My daughter and I left the
parking lot for our 10K loop at exactly 3:20pm. The break-in happened within
that 10-minute window.

Earlier, as my daughter and I were putting on our boots and rollerskis, a
full-size, American van pulled into the parking lot. There were no other
vehicles in the lot. The van didn't pull into one of the parking slots, but
rather, swung around and parked along the western curb, pointing toward the
exit. A caucasion woman of average height and heavier build got out of the van
with a pit bull-type dog. It was obvious that she was not an experienced pet
owner. She made a very clumsy and loud show of "training" the dog in the
parking lot. I remember thinking at the time that she was putting this show on
for our benefit. My daughter told me later that the woman spent a lot of time
looking closely at us and at our car while she was "training" the dog. After a
few minutes, she dragged the dog down the trail about 50-yards and stopped. A
minute later we left the parking lot and passed her on our rollerskis. The dog
lunged at us as we went by. The woman yelled at the dog and hit it with a
branch. At that time, I thought, "for the dog's sake, someone should report
this woman".

According to the Ranger, an accomplice was likely waiting in the van. With no
other cars in the lot and the dog-handler likely acting as a guard, my car was
an easy mark. The passenger-side window was smashed and the car was ransacked.
The thief grabbed my daughter's gear bag which was later found thrown out on
a neighboring lawn. The Ranger said the thieves likely assumed the gear bag
held a wallet or purse. A pair of rollerskis, an extra pair of poles,
sunglasses, and a pile of clothes were left untouched. The Ranger said the
thieves appear to be interested only in credit cards and cash. The Ranger also
said that until now, they've had no information regarding a possible id of the
thieves.

I was told that similar break-ins are happening in other Three Rivers parking
lots. Keep your eyes and ears open. Don't leave your wallet or purse in your
car if you're on the trails. If you see a scene similar to the one that I
described, involving a woman (late 30's, maybe early 40's), a van, and a pit
bull-type dog, call 911 immediately. Spread the word, fellow skiers.

Gary Elling