December snow ?

Old October 7th 03, 09:00 AM
Tim Sampson

Default December snow ?

"Richard" wrote in message
"Tim Sampson" wrote...
Norway/Sweden?

Hadn't thought of that.
It's supposed to be really cold though. :-(

Where do you recommend, limited budget,
good for an intermediate and a beginner ?

Well, I'm not hugely experienced in different resorts, but my family and I
have friends in Norway and spent last winter with them. We did a long
weekend at Sunne in Sweden which catered for all levels - www.skisunne.com
(not much English info, but you should get the idea). We also spent a day at
Kongsberg in Norway which was just as good if not better. My friend really
wanted us to go to Norefjel (I'm sure I've spelled that wrong but I have no
way of checking) which is supposed to be excellent, but we didn't have the
money or the time.

Ski Sunne was really good fun for us beginners and a lift pass is £15 a day
or less if you book more days. We stayed in a cottage which IIRC was £150
for 6 of us. The Norweigan resorts tend to be quite a bit more expensive.

Where are you travelling from? From England we can get really cheap flights
with Ryan Air.

And yes, it could be really cold in December. Last Christmas it was
something like -23.

Cheers
Tim

Old October 7th 03, 04:34 PM
Richard

Where are you travelling from? From England we can get really cheap
flights
with Ryan Air.

Thanks for the info.
Yes, England.
Luton, Gatwick, would be ideal,
but Stanstead and Heathrow are ok too.

Would you suggest booking a place direct then,
rather than looking for a package deal ?

Old October 7th 03, 05:14 PM
Tim Sampson

Richard wrote:
Where are you travelling from? From England we can get really cheap
flights with Ryan Air.

Thanks for the info.
Yes, England.
Luton, Gatwick, would be ideal,
but Stanstead and Heathrow are ok too.

Would you suggest booking a place direct then,
rather than looking for a package deal ?

I don't have any experience of package deals. I do know that you could get a
cheap flight from Stanstead to either Torp, Norway or Gothenberg, Sweden but
then I guess you would have to hire a car or something. I suspect this would
all work out a lot cheaper, but as I said, no experience of packages here.

Cheers
Tim

Old October 7th 03, 09:11 PM
Johannes

HI Richard

On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 17:34:17 +0100, "Richard"
wrote:

Where are you travelling from? From England we can get really cheap

flights
with Ryan Air.

Thanks for the info.
Yes, England.
Luton, Gatwick, would be ideal,
but Stanstead and Heathrow are ok too.

Would you suggest booking a place direct then,
rather than looking for a package deal ?

Easy Jet fly to Zurich and Geneva from UK

Johannes
Old October 7th 03, 10:53 PM
Richard

Easy Jet fly to Zurich and Geneva from UK

Indeed.
I've flown to Geneva with them before.

Old October 9th 03, 03:52 PM
Playdreamer

With what I consider a shift in the seasons in Europe,
is there anywhere with good snow the week before xmas ?

For the last few years I have habitually kicked off the season at Val
Thorens in mid December where they have an annual "Boarder Week" festival
(13-20 Dec this year). Conditions have generally been good. Val Thorens is
the highest resort in Europe and it usually opens at the end of November.

Old October 9th 03, 05:25 PM
Richard

For the last few years I have habitually kicked off the season at Val
Thorens in mid December where they have an annual "Boarder Week" festival
(13-20 Dec this year). Conditions have generally been good. Val Thorens is
the highest resort in Europe and it usually opens at the end of November.

Excellent. That sounds well worth a look at then.

Old October 9th 03, 10:11 PM
Johannes

Hi

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 16:52:01 +0100, "Playdreamer"
wrote:

With what I consider a shift in the seasons in Europe,
is there anywhere with good snow the week before xmas ?

For the last few years I have habitually kicked off the season at Val
Thorens in mid December where they have an annual "Boarder Week" festival
(13-20 Dec this year). Conditions have generally been good. Val Thorens is
the highest resort in Europe and it usually opens at the end of November.

Wrong the lifts on the Fee Glacier goes also up till 3600m at Saas
Fee.
And the highest at Europa is still Zermatt with 3800m (official)
(inofficial Aig. du Midi only Routes 3850)

Johannes
Old October 10th 03, 10:16 AM
Barney

wrote:

With what I consider a shift in the seasons in Europe,
is there anywhere with good snow the week before xmas ?

For the last few years I have habitually kicked off the season at Val
Thorens in mid December where they have an annual "Boarder Week" festival
(13-20 Dec this year). Conditions have generally been good. Val Thorens

is
the highest resort in Europe and it usually opens at the end of November.

Wrong the lifts on the Fee Glacier goes also up till 3600m at Saas
Fee.
And the highest at Europa is still Zermatt with 3800m (official)
(inofficial Aig. du Midi only Routes 3850)

I think Val Thorens has the highest bar in Europe. Some Norwegian bar or
something with bad karaoke.