metal scraper (kuzmin)

Old February 5th 10, 02:03 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
lolix

Default metal scraper (kuzmin)

After exercising last year with my kuzmin scraper (with much success)
on used skis
I decided to order a new pair of skis with "raw" base. No factory
stone grind.
Having a ski manufacturer at hand (Vandel) is great for testing. (I
had previously been able to get a pair from them w/o groove, but
that's another (interesting) story.)

So, the base was quite hairy, and also quite thicker.

The work to get it flat and clean was a 2 times one hour work, with
skiing in between to best reveal non perfect (grey) areas

The result is excellent in terms of visual aspect and glide.
IMHO, best result is obtained by waxing *once*, to get the "shine".
As far as I understood the reality of waxing, there's a bit of wax
dilution in the base.
At least it's visually better.
I know that the visual aspect do says much on the glide ability, but
I'm not skiing at WC level anyway.
As previously the base doesn't show any greyish areas even after 100
km skiing w/o re-ironing.

The base is still thicker base than out-of-factory stone-grind base.
So there is plenty of material left for future flattening.

A raw base may present longitudinal "waves" and I rapidly understood
that handling the scrapper at a perfect 90° angle to the scrapping
direction will
in fact increase those waves.
So I had to handle the scrapper at a certain angle, without slipping
sideways which would have resulted in "cutting" profoundly the base.
That was tricky job for a computer scientist like me.
So Mr Kuzmin, please provide a tool to mount the scrapper in with a
certain angle to prevent creating waves in the base.

Another information read on IMS/Gurit documentation and confirmed by
Vandel is that a base has no "direction". Press sintered base are
obtained by pressing and melting a "wheel" of material + additives and
then rolled and cut at the desired thickness.
So, You can (and certainly should) scrape, brush in both directions to
best removes hairs. Still finishing tip to tail because the pressure
on the base do creates a "direction". You can feel it when scrapping
the reverse way. At first it's harder and after a while it's like it
was the other way.

Laurent

Old February 5th 10, 05:59 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
lolix

I know that the visual aspect do says much on the glide ability, but

woops.. I know that the visual aspect DON'T say much on the glide
ability

Kuzmin Sickle ADK Skier Nordic Skiing 2 April 23rd 08 01:30 PM
Klolsters now (was Flying metal) Ace European Ski Resorts 40 January 26th 07 07:32 PM
Kuzmin No-waxing thesis Edgar Nordic Skiing 32 February 10th 06 02:38 AM
is plastic wax scraper necessary? [email protected] Snowboarding 19 February 15th 05 04:46 PM
metal scrapper and fibertex. How to ? [email protected] Nordic Skiing 5 January 21st 05 02:56 PM