Old Exel Evo straps: suggestions?

Old December 23rd 08, 03:12 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default Old Exel Evo straps: suggestions?

I have a pair of Exel Avantis sirca 2000 which are great poles, but
the straps have completely decayed. Does anyone have a pair of Evo
straps for sale? Or has anyone tried mating Exel handles with Swix
straps?
Old December 23rd 08, 03:13 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Dec 22, 8:12 pm, "
wrote:
I have a pair of Exel Avantis sirca 2000 which are great poles, but
the straps have completely decayed. Does anyone have a pair of Evo
straps for sale? Or has anyone tried mating Exel handles with Swix
straps?

sirca should've read circa
Old December 23rd 08, 12:12 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 20:12:14 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

I have a pair of Exel Avantis circa 2000 which are great poles, but
the straps have completely decayed. Does anyone have a pair of Evo
straps for sale? Or has anyone tried mating Exel handles with Swix
straps?

I got some of the high-end Excel straps from around 2002 working with
KV2 from grips on my wife's poles, so maybe it'd work in reverse?
Old December 23rd 08, 09:08 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
DMK

wrote:
I have a pair of Exel Avantis circa 2000 which are great poles, but
the straps have completely decayed. Does anyone have a pair of Evo
straps for sale? Or has anyone tried mating Exel handles with Swix
straps?

I got some of the high-end Excel straps from around 2002 working with
KV2 from grips on my wife's poles, so maybe it'd work in reverse?

Ahh the joy of dealing with Exel grip and strap issues. Seems like
every few years I deal with this and it always causes some angst. THe
newer version of the Evo strap are great but the plugs they come with
do not fit well with the version of grips you have. Swix straps can
be made to work in those grips but not that well. You can however
get a Swix grip on an ovalized Exel pole without too much trouble, but
you'd have to buy the grip. I do think you can get plastic Swix grips
for about 12.00.

I would suggest calling New Moon in Hayward. They are one of the few
shops that have not abandoned Exel over the years and can easily
answer your questions and feel your pain. A few years ago when I was
dealing with strap failure they offered to sell me new Exel grips at
their cost just to be nice. They, like me, love the Exel shafts and
straps but HATE how they seem to change some key element of the grip
and strap combo every few years.

For what it's worth, I just McGeyvered some One Way straps to Swix
grips and placed them on some Avanti Formulas from about 2001, and
added an extra 1.5 inches to the shaft to boot. All is good now.

Dave
Old December 23rd 08, 10:33 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

They, like me, love the Exel shafts and
straps but HATE how they seem to change some key element of the grip
and strap combo every few years.

I agree on the Exel shafts. The moment of inertia of the Avanti shafts
is much lower than Swix's top of the line Stars. When I switched from
Exel to Swix (due to the strap failure) Swix poles felt much heavier
since Swix shafts are thicker at the ends.

Turns out New Moon does have Exel Evo straps! I just ordered a pair.

I will also try mounting Swix straps on Exel shafts. Swix straps are
definitely better than Exel's.
Old December 24th 08, 05:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Dec 22, 9:12*pm, "
wrote:
I have a pair of Exel Avantis sirca 2000 which are great poles, but
the straps have completely decayed. Does anyone have a pair of Evo
straps for sale? Or has anyone tried mating Exel handles with Swix
straps?

I still use (and love) Avanti's. A few years ago I put Swix handles
and straps on them without too much hassle as I recall.
Old December 29th 08, 04:17 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Andrew Lee[_2_]

DMK wrote:
and
added an extra 1.5 inches to the shaft to boot. *All is good now.

Family newsgroup, Buddy!