What angles?

Old October 21st 04, 02:45 AM
David

Default What angles?

What softboot binding angles are you planning to use when you start your season?

I'm a beginner, and was playing around with different settings as the season
ended last year. I'll decide on something before Sunday, when I hope to start
this season. The only thing I'm pretty sure of is I won't go duck foot--although
I finished last season that way. I'm not asking for advice (I plan to revisit the FAQ,
and do a Google groups search), just curious about what y'all are doing.

Old October 21st 04, 09:46 AM
Arvin Chang

"David" wrote in message ...
What softboot binding angles are you planning to use when you start your season?

I'm a beginner, and was playing around with different settings as the season
ended last year. I'll decide on something before Sunday, when I hope to start
this season. The only thing I'm pretty sure of is I won't go duck foot--although
I finished last season that way. I'm not asking for advice (I plan to revisit the FAQ,
and do a Google groups search), just curious about what y'all are doing.

Oy, I remember fiddling with my bindings every day for like 2 season
before finding something I liked. I recommend riding a setup for at
least half a day even if it feels weird starting out.

Anyways... so for park I usually ride 15/-3 15/0 or 18/3. For
freeriding I think I'm going to try 22/7 (I've cranked it up to 36/6).
I'm bowlegged and naturally duck footed, so I have a wider angle
"splay" I know many of my friend to 6-12 degree split. like 6/0 to
12/0.

First figure out what angle splay you like and then just rotate them
forward. The more forward angle you get, the more turning power you
get as you can use more of your body (at 0 degrees, you are primarily
using your calf muscles).

Also play with your stance width as that affects how you angles
feel... I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam and I like something in the 20"
range.
Old October 21st 04, 01:42 PM
Waco Paco

Arvin Chang wrote:
"David" wrote in message ...

[...]

I'm going to rock 18/0 at the beginning of the season, maybe go towards
a 15/-3 later on. I find the positive angles make turning easier, but i
think this season i will make my way to learning fakie so some negatives
will make that easier.

Along with playing with stance width, I'd say play with the set back,
too. you will definitely feel a difference between set back and centered.

stu
-got boots, board, and bindings, now i need snow
Old October 21st 04, 03:25 PM
Mike T

First figure out what angle splay you like and then just rotate them
forward. The more forward angle you get, the more turning power you
get as you can use more of your body (at 0 degrees, you are primarily
using your calf muscles).

Also play with your stance width as that affects how you angles
feel... I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam and I like something in the 20"
range.

Some addenda to Arvin's suggestions:

Generally speaking, as you widen your stance, you will want to increase the
splay at the same time. Also, as you increase the angles forward, you might
reduce the splay.

Example:

At a 19.5" stance width in soft boots I typically ride 21/12 or 24/15 (9
degrees of splay). If I widen out to 20.5", I will go 24/12 or 21/9 (12
degrees of splay). But that same 19.5" width in hard boots, I will do 55/50
or 60/55 (5 degrees of splay)

(Stand on the floor in your stance, and start widening and narrowing... the
natural inclination is to splay your feet less when you narrow, more when
you widen. Apply that to your snowboarding stance).

Here is an old thread with some technical and opinionated discussion on
stances:

http://www.google.com/groups?hl=en&l...et%26rnum%3D48

Mike T

Old October 21st 04, 03:52 PM
og

Hey Arvin,

You hittin it this weekend? I'm going to watch the weather as snow
levels are supposed to be high on Saturday.

Ok Angles.. I ride about 25/9+-2 now. I like the forward stance for
a couple reasons:

1. It's easier for me to ride fast.
2. It's easier on my legs.

Additionally, I like a smallish difference in my stance angles (15
degrees) because I also feel it is safer and prevents excessive
twisting of my knees and hip.

Twenty years of skiing and riding and I've never been hurt. I've had
my bell rung but never anything serious.

See ya there!

OG
Old October 21st 04, 05:34 PM
David

"Arvin Chang" wrote in message m...
First figure out what angle splay you like and then just rotate them
forward. The more forward angle you get, the more turning power you
get as you can use more of your body (at 0 degrees, you are primarily
using your calf muscles).

Also play with your stance width as that affects how you angles
feel... I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam and I like something in the 20"
range.

I'm 30" inseam also, and I think I left my board at 20". Gotta check,
and measure the offset or setback (is one of those the right term?).

I think too much splay is hard on my knees. I'll try to think about amount of
splay & how far forward.

Thanks all.

David

Old October 21st 04, 08:25 PM
tg

"David" wrote in message

"Arvin Chang" wrote in message
m...
First figure out what angle splay you like and then just rotate them
forward. The more forward angle you get, the more turning power you
get as you can use more of your body (at 0 degrees, you are primarily
using your calf muscles).

Also play with your stance width as that affects how you angles
feel... I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam and I like something in the 20"
range.

I'm 30" inseam also, and I think I left my board at 20". Gotta check,
and measure the offset or setback (is one of those the right term?).

I think too much splay is hard on my knees. I'll try to think about
amount of
splay & how far forward.

Thanks all.

David

Don't some of the highbacks also allow them to be rotated to be more
parallel to the back edge when riding higher angles?
The highback would be aligned with the edge and not the back of your leg.

Tim

Old October 21st 04, 08:31 PM
David

"tg" wrote in message ...

Don't some of the highbacks also allow them to be rotated to be more

parallel to the back edge when riding higher angles?
The highback would be aligned with the edge and not the back of your leg.

I had no idea. I checked and both my Burtons and my daughter's Prestons adjust that way.
Mine seem to have come rotated a little. The wrong way, since I'm goofy foot.

Old October 21st 04, 11:26 PM
Dmitry

"Waco Paco" wrote

Along with playing with stance width, I'd say play with the set back, too. you will definitely feel a difference between set back
and centered.

stu
-got boots, board, and bindings, now i need snow

That's nuthing, I have 5 boards (3 new, 2 I need to get rid of), two pairs
of boots and no snow. That's what a big unexpected bonus at work too
early in the season will do to you. Yeah, and 2 new pairs of skis too.
And a season pass. And new goggles and gloves.
Palmer Channel Titanium 164 + Nidecker 860 Carbon ($300+$100)
Nitro Shadow 160 + T9 Ali Gouliet ($200+$90)
Burton Fish 156HD + Nitro Team ($220 +$60) - looking for 3-hole disks!

If someone wants any of these, make me an offer:
'02 Palmer Carbon Circle 158 - good condition, base perfect, edges B,
top B+, camber is Ok, has about 25-30 days on it, never in the park.
This is basically a BX board with narrow tail and it's scary fast. Read
the reviews, they're all true.

'01 (or even '00) Ride Timeless 158. Got in NEW in shrink wrap a year
ago, rode about 7 times. It's darn stiff, probably the stiffest board I've
seen (or maybe Salomon Fastback is stiffer). Edges and top perfect,
base has one small ding. Never even had a tune-up and didn't need one.
Very well made board, but it'll put you on your butt the first time out - it's
not easy to ride.

New Oxygen (Atomic) hardboots, mondo 27.5 (~9.5 US). Got them off
eBay last season, but they're not a good fit and I decided to just try
skiing. I paid ~$100 for them.

Oh, and as for stance angles.. (hehe, I'm not selling anything here after
all I was very surprised when I tried symmetrical stance last year.
I had more stability just bombing down and more agility on steeps
and gnary terrain, but quite a bit less leverage for carving. I've heard
some people are successful in BX competitions with close to symmetrical
stances, which is quite surprising to me. Anyone cares to comment?

Old October 22nd 04, 01:00 AM
Dmitry

"Dmitry" wrote

If someone wants any of these, make me an offer:

Oh yea, the e-mail address that works is this one:

snowboard at azazello.net

The one in the header is a black hole.

Stance angles Dean Snowboarding 0 March 15th 04 10:07 AM
Pyrenees 2000 and Les Angles, the French Pyrenees Orientales John Owens European Ski Resorts 6 February 25th 04 11:14 PM
When to get a new board? AsaaraAgain Snowboarding 18 February 16th 04 06:33 PM
Bought my first board, a little help please John Snowboarding 14 January 23rd 04 02:42 AM
Skate technique USST two cents Pete Vordenberg Nordic Skiing 52 January 22nd 04 02:31 PM