finally tried forward angles, but need some help...

Old December 13th 05, 04:46 PM

Default finally tried forward angles, but need some help...

When I learned to snowboard I started out at 15,0. At the end of my
first season I tried 21,6 but couldn't do anything with it so I went
back to 15,0. About half way through last season I tried 15,-6 and it
just seemed like the board suddenly had power steering. At the start of
this season I tried some higher forward angles and really liked them.
So far I've tried 30,21 and 39,30. I felt more comfortable, my heel
side turns became easier, and suddenly it was easier to link a couple
carves together. It was also easier to jump with it. Here's the issue,
I didn't feel too much difference between the two sets of forward
angles I've tried, and feel that I could set my binding to almost
anything and ride it. I think that's getting in the way of finding
something that really suits me and my riding. I'm hoping that someone
could:

1. Recommend a good set of base angles for the riding I do that I can
build from. I'd hope to eliminate a lot of trial and error since
messing with my bindings cuts down on my riding time.

2. Explain what I'd gain by increasing or lowering my angles and what
I'd lose.

I mostly ride crud with groomers where available and powder on the rare
days that I can. I stay out of the park, but am trying more of the
jumps I can find on the trail. I love glades, but I'm not very
comfortable in them yet. I aspire to skid as few turns as possible on
every run. I ride a stiff soft boot setup with Malamutes and Ride SPIs
or Tomcats.

Old December 13th 05, 05:59 PM

I'd go back and try 21/6 again. I exclusively frreeride and use 25/10
+-3

Sounds to me like you need two sets of binding settings. One for
freeride and one for freestyle.

A forward stance makes heelside turns a bit tougher and not as precise.

Old December 13th 05, 06:12 PM

A forward stance makes heelside turns a bit tougher and not as precise.

Interesting, I find the exact opposite!

Old December 13th 05, 06:21 PM

I'm with BM and MikeT.....
Forward angles make for nice carving, and suck at landing the big
jumps, but surprisingly for me at least, not bad to ride backwards!
I'm an old fart at 56, freeriding most important, next is Pipe (I'm a
surfer). Gotta be able to ride out switch and take off as well as
frontside, so 27 and + 3 for me, wide stanced at 21", more toe than
binding overlap....

Old December 13th 05, 06:39 PM

I don't ride freestyle and I've found forward stance helped my heelside
quite a bit.

Generally what do you lose when you rotate your bindings forward? I
don't want to do anything that might negatively impact me in the trees.
I'd really rather not hit one.

Old December 13th 05, 07:24 PM

Neil Gendzwill wrote:
I don't want to do anything that might negatively impact me in the trees.
I'd really rather not hit one.

Well, how do you feel about it? Do you feel better or worse able to
make a sudden edge change or stop?

Neil

I'd definitely feel better being able to do that. So...higher angles ok
for trees?

Old December 13th 05, 07:30 PM

I'd definitely feel better being able to do that. So...higher angles ok
for trees?

If that's where you're most comfortable than absolutely! For tree riding
you should simply set your equipment up so that you have as much control as
possible without having to think about it... in other words, whatever comes
natural. For me that's 24/15 in softies and mid-50's on plates. (I take
my Donek Axis 172 w/ plates through the trees all the time - it does fine).
Go with what works. Your mind will be on choosing a line through the
trees, your riding needs to be pretty much automatic.

video make-over Ken Roberts Nordic Skiing 53 May 2nd 05 02:35 AM
Forward Lean Angles tg Snowboarding 21 December 13th 04 01:49 AM
Stance angles Dean Snowboarding 0 March 15th 04 10:07 AM
Going in Circles- The Forward Step In Skating. Douglas Diehl Nordic Skiing 15 January 13th 04 10:00 PM
Forward Lean Question - w/ new Ride bindings toddjb Snowboarding 5 December 9th 03 03:36 PM