Foot pain issue....

Old February 27th 04, 07:31 PM
The Aikidoka

Default Foot pain issue....

Alright...I've been riding for a couple years now.

Since I started, usually at the beginning of the day, my feet ache and cramp
something fierce. This sometimes goes away as I warm up, but more often
than not, it stays....

The result is is that I normally have to stop part way down runs just to get
pressure off them.

I've changed bindings during this time....and have tried
loosening/tightening all manner of equipment.....boots, bindings, etc.

At first, I thought it was because my boots and bindings were far too tight.
Now, the best that I get is from more of a "firm" lace up and binding
tightness, rather than cranked down.

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas...do I need more arch support? My
boots are two year old Airwalks that are otherwise very very comfortable...I
can wear them for hours around town/lodge with no discomfort at all!

I will likely replace the boots at the end of this season, and am wondering
if I need to pay closer attention to the arch support or what.

Ideas appreciated.

aiki

Old February 28th 04, 02:42 AM
Dmitry

"The Aikidoka" wrote

At first, I thought it was because my boots and bindings were far too tight.
Now, the best that I get is from more of a "firm" lace up and binding
tightness, rather than cranked down.

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas...do I need more arch support? My
boots are two year old Airwalks that are otherwise very very comfortable...I
can wear them for hours around town/lodge with no discomfort at all!

Maybe that's something obvious, but.. Tighten up bindings only tight
enough to prevent heel lift. Lace the boots up only tight enough to not
have substantial heel lift. If you tighten stuff too much, not only
you'll block blood flow and cause pain, but also you'll probably limit
your ability to move along the board axis which is essential.

How about trying to go to some of your local mountains when there's
a demo day for some brand and trying their bindings?

How about trying your friend's setups?

How about trying a wider/narrower stance? Changing stance angles?

I often get some foot pain in my front foot in the beginning
of the day. Usually it's just because I'm slow to warm up and
ride with bad technique for the first half hour or so. As soon as
things start flowing, it goes away.

BTW, here's what happened to me during the latest trip to Whistler.
If you've been there, there's a nice double black run called Blow
Hole up on a glacier. You need to ride a t-bar to get there, and the
only way down is via a very long (smth. like 5 miles) green run to
Excelerator chair. First time out, I had to stop a couple of times
along the way because my calves and ankles were too sore from riding
on toe side for a long time. I vowed to learn to ride switch there

Next day was a bit icy, so instead of Timeless I took my trusty
Carbon Circle with an intent to make some supersonic runs down flat long
blue and black runs. I use +21/+6 angles on Timeless, and +30/+15 on CC
just because CC likes speed so much.

Well, guess what - we went to ride Blow Hole again, and I had no
problems whatsoever getting down to Excelerator. None, zero, piece
of cake, I actually could rest while riding that green run. A little
angle adjustment is all it took.

--
Dmitry

Old February 28th 04, 03:20 PM
Sket

"The Aikidoka" wrote in message
Alright...I've been riding for a couple years now.

Since I started, usually at the beginning of the day, my feet ache and

cramp
something fierce. This sometimes goes away as I warm up, but more often
than not, it stays....

I used to get this all the time and then found out that the top strap on my
binding was set to push my foot more down towards the board. I set the
screws back so that the strap was pushing my ankle at more of an angle
into the heel of the binding and i no longer have to tighten up so much to
stop heel lift! Most of the transition comes from my lower shins now,
and i pretty much relax my feet.

Dont know if that sounds like crap to the rest of you, but worth a try?

Sket

Old February 28th 04, 03:57 PM
Some Dude

Where on your feet? Feet have lots of pain areas

Bottom, top, heel, arch? Both feet???

Could be a lot of things including stance (too wide, too narrow) to
angle settings....I had radiating foot pain in my front foot and
backed off on the angle to about +10 and it went away completely..

Cheers

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 12:31:18 -0800, "The Aikidoka"
wrote:

[...]

Cheers,
-sd
http://www.zoom.sh
Old February 28th 04, 05:45 PM
Chet Hayes

I would try replacing the footbeds. It's possible the arch support is
inadequate or they just aren't shaped to fit your foot. Cheaper boots
tend to have poor ones.

There are good aftermarket ones available either at ski/snowboard
shops or even stores like Walmart in the pharmacy dept. I found a
very nice pair at Walmart for about $10.

If that doesn't work, then I would try demoing or renting another pair
of boots.
Old February 28th 04, 05:47 PM
Hadoken

[posted and mailed]

"The Aikidoka" wrote in
:

Alright...I've been riding for a couple years now.

Since I started, usually at the beginning of the day, my feet ache and
cramp something fierce. This sometimes goes away as I warm up, but
more often than not, it stays....

The result is is that I normally have to stop part way down runs just
to get pressure off them.

I've changed bindings during this time....and have tried
loosening/tightening all manner of equipment.....boots, bindings, etc.

You're wasting your money. What you need are custom made footbeds
available at any local ski shop. They run about $100 per pair and will
probably solve all your foot pain problems. It's the best investment in
gear I have ever made and can be transferred to any boot.
Old February 29th 04, 02:42 PM
Mike M. Miskulin

"The Aikidoka" wrote in
:

Alright...I've been riding for a couple years now.
Since I started, usually at the beginning of the day, my feet ache
and cramp something fierce. This sometimes goes away as I warm up,
but more often than not, it stays....

I get the foot pain too, mostly in my front foot. I
lace tight, but not excessively. Walking around in
them is no problem.

I usually notice it most early and late in the day,
especially after bumps. I think the early few
runs are more likely a warm up thing. In past
seasons I would always need to losen my front
bindings before getting back on chair for ride up
or I would be aching. As someone else mentioned,
I've played around a little with strap placement
and this season has been much better. I don't
often feel the need to loosen anymore.

Its also been an offseaon issue too this past year.
Doctor said its probably tendon issue, who knows.
Its really in the middle/middle outer edge, most
noticable when putting foot on side and rotating.
Wasn't able to wear anything with much of an arch
all year.

Old March 1st 04, 10:01 AM
Werner Jacobi

The Aikidoka wrote:

Alright...I've been riding for a couple years now.

Since I started, usually at the beginning of the day, my feet ache and cramp
something fierce. This sometimes goes away as I warm up, but more often
than not, it stays....

The result is is that I normally have to stop part way down runs just to get
pressure off them.

I've changed bindings during this time....and have tried
loosening/tightening all manner of equipment.....boots, bindings, etc.

If I'm lazy and don't lace my boots properly, I have that problem too.
Thats because my boots are a bit on the tight side - If they aren't
laced properly, my toes touch the "front" of the boot during toeside
turns and have to take some of the pressure I'm putting into the front
side edge.

My suggestion: lace properly and warm up before you ride. Maybe try a
bigger boot (Lend/rent one for a day)

--
Werner Jacobi
nichtrauscherzone studio

Question weight distribution on front foot. Boyle Lee Snowboarding 1 February 17th 04 01:10 PM
foot steering? copek Snowboarding 2 January 31st 04 02:22 AM
measuring foot for ski boots-footbeds? alex General 4 January 27th 04 09:27 PM
measuring foot for ski boots-footbeds? alex Snowboarding 4 January 27th 04 09:27 PM
Foot still attached to board when on chair lifts is killing my knee... chas Snowboarding 11 December 17th 03 03:05 PM