Black diamond skiing

Old February 9th 05, 04:07 AM
CowPunk©

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 11:22:47 -0600, Chuck
wrote:

............Snippage..
I have been to NH and would agree that the most blacks in PA are more
akin to the blues there. I remember skiing a trail at Bretton Woods
named something like "two miles home". For the first two thirds of the
trail I kept wondering how they could call it a blue when I was poling
my way half of the time. Then I came upon a moderately steep section
that must have been the reason for the blue rating. I had no problems
skiing it, but my 12 year old son on the other hand went down on his
backside.

I had a friend of mine give another friend's kid some advice at just
such a time like that. "More Knees, Less Ass", she counseled. I
laughed all the way to the chair.

Cow

Old February 10th 05, 11:49 PM
Brains

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 23:28:06 -0600, "ant"
wrote:

"Chuck" wrote
and I want to push myself to get better, but I also want to be able to do
some traversing on these trails.

Why do you feel that traversing down a steeper run will improve your skiing?
I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just interested to know how people view these
things.

ant

I needed steeper runs to understand the importance of body position,
edging and being able to see where you were heading.

I was taught to hold the poles outwards (arms in crucifix position,
palms facing up) and ski down a very steep black runs ensuring the
pole ends were always in contact with the snow. A few days of this and
I was back to pole planting, able to modulate the inside edges and cut
out transversing altogether. Since then I usually have to look up the
piste afterwards to appreciate the gradient.

Desmond

Old February 11th 05, 01:50 AM
lal_truckee

Brains wrote:
hold the poles outwards (arms in crucifix position,
palms facing up) and ski down a very steep black runs ensuring the
pole ends were always in contact with the snow.

I can't picture this.

Old February 11th 05, 02:24 AM
ant

"lal_truckee" wrote in message
Brains wrote:
hold the poles outwards (arms in crucifix position,
palms facing up) and ski down a very steep black runs ensuring the
pole ends were always in contact with the snow.

I can't picture this.

No, me neither. You'd need very long stocks. There is a drill called
outriggers, where you turn your hands over so the palms are facing forward,
stretch out the arms so the stocks are out to your sides, and then lower
them so the tips are brushing the snow. Great drill for getting people to
balance nicely over the outside ski, and to quieten the upper body.

Maybe he means they dangled the stocks from their arms by the loops, and
skiied that way. Sounds very uncomfortable.

ant

Old February 12th 05, 01:07 AM
VtSkier

lal_truckee wrote:
Brains wrote:

hold the poles outwards (arms in crucifix position,
palms facing up) and ski down a very steep black runs ensuring the
pole ends were always in contact with the snow.

I can't picture this.

Neither can I. Palms up suggest that poles are
sticking straight out in front of you, no? How
then are the pole ends (tips?) always in contact
with the snow?

Old February 12th 05, 01:14 AM
Brains

Brains wrote:
hold the poles outwards (arms in crucifix position,
palms facing up) and ski down a very steep black runs ensuring the
pole ends were always in contact with the snow.

I can't picture this.

No, me neither. You'd need very long stocks. There is a drill called
outriggers, where you turn your hands over so the palms are facing forward,
stretch out the arms so the stocks are out to your sides, and then lower
them so the tips are brushing the snow. Great drill for getting people to
balance nicely over the outside ski, and to quieten the upper body.

Maybe he means they dangled the stocks from their arms by the loops, and
skiied that way. Sounds very uncomfortable.

ant

No, I mean "outriggers" but did not explain it well.

Old February 12th 05, 03:17 AM
Mary Malmros

lal_truckee wrote:
Brains wrote:

hold the poles outwards (arms in crucifix position,
palms facing up) and ski down a very steep black runs ensuring the
pole ends were always in contact with the snow.

I can't picture this.

I can, and I'm still laughing at the image.

--
Mary Malmros
Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug.

Old February 12th 05, 03:17 AM
Mary Malmros

VtSkier wrote:

lal_truckee wrote:

Brains wrote:

hold the poles outwards (arms in crucifix position,
palms facing up) and ski down a very steep black runs ensuring the
pole ends were always in contact with the snow.

I can't picture this.

Neither can I. Palms up suggest that poles are
sticking straight out in front of you, no? How
then are the pole ends (tips?) always in contact

Eyeroll. Didn't you read the word "crucifix"?

Old February 12th 05, 04:25 AM
The Real Bev

Mary Malmros wrote:

lal_truckee wrote:
Brains wrote:

hold the poles outwards (arms in crucifix position,
palms facing up) and ski down a very steep black runs ensuring the
pole ends were always in contact with the snow.

I can't picture this.

I can, and I'm still laughing at the image.

Way Back When, SNL had something about the pope on skis. Maybe it was
an "action figure" or something. Guy in a white dress with his arms
out...

--
Cheers,
Bev

Old February 12th 05, 04:39 AM
lal_truckee

The Real Bev wrote:

Way Back When, SNL had something about the pope on skis. Maybe it was
an "action figure" or something. Guy in a white dress with his arms
out...

Current Pope was an active outdoorsman when he was young, including
skiing. I think he wore sweaters, like the rest of the pre-war skiers.

Tai Chi Skiing yunlong Alpine Skiing 8 December 17th 04 03:50 PM
Masters Skiing Camps Nordic Skiing Instruction Nordic Skiing 0 November 1st 04 12:47 PM
RFC - The Nordic Skiing Project the Nordic Skiing Project Nordic Skiing 2 September 24th 04 05:50 PM
Skiing in Utah BRL Nordic Skiing 5 November 25th 03 06:43 PM