Milton Keynes - what's the poma like?

Old December 16th 03, 08:41 PM
cupra

Default Milton Keynes - what's the poma like?

Tom wrote:
Then just turn your head to look where you're going and
keep looking as far ahead as you can.
=20
Liz
=20

=20
Hey, Liz, for the advice. I was an amusing site for any onlookers on
my first 3 tries, struggling to get on, but I didn't actually fall
off at all and after that it was fine. The memory of it is quite
amusing!=20
=20
I'm sure the pomas won't be as gentle in Meribel as they were at
Xscape, but at least it gave me experience!
=20
Tom
High Wycombe
UK

I hate to be the bearer of ill tidings, but IMO the pomas at MK are a =
*lot* slower than most I have experienced in the Alps!! Still, I prefer =
a fast poma to a good old calf-bashing from an ancient 200mph two man =
chair!=20

--=20
cupra (remove nospam please to mail)

Old December 18th 03, 07:56 PM
Dismantler

" cupra" wrote in message

I hate to be the bearer of ill tidings, but IMO the pomas at MK are a *lot*

slower than most I have experienced in the Alps!! Still, I prefer a fast
poma to a good old calf-bashing from an ancient 200mph two man chair!

I'll take the two man chair, please!

T-bars and Pomas are manufactured by Dr. Evil's company, Virtucon. I'd
rather get a bit of a rest when on the big mountain. When you're used to
riding smaller hills, big mountains can wear you out fast, especially when
the elevation is high and there's less oxygen...

Just for instance: Here in Indiana, it's about 700 feet above sea level, and
average hill has a miserable, pathetic vertical rise of 300-400 feet (@100
meters). In Colorado (or JH, Utah, etc.), depends on mountain, but you could
approach 14,000 feet above sea level, and most of the mountains have at
least 1000' of vert, with the better ones having 3000+'. Whistler and the
California areas mtns are a bit more merciful, lots more oxygen in the air
the lower you go.

That would be a very long way to ride a Poma. I couldn't imagine doing it
for a really long time overseas, don't some of the resorts over there have
several THOUSAND feet of vertical?

Old December 18th 03, 08:01 PM
cupra

Dismantler wrote:
" cupra" wrote in message
=20
I hate to be the bearer of ill tidings, but IMO the pomas at MK are
a *lot*=20

[...]

You'd be suprised at how long some pomas and T-bars are in Europe. I've =
experienced drags of hundreds of feet (with 'turns' thrown in for good =
measure). Needless to say, I avoid them as much as I can, but they often =
lead to some of the best runs, so they turn into a necessary evil!

Old December 19th 03, 10:04 AM
Barney

" cupra" wrote in message
Dismantler wrote:

You'd be suprised at how long some pomas and T-bars are in Europe. I've

experienced drags of hundreds of feet
(with 'turns' thrown in for good measure). Needless to say, I avoid them

as much as I can, but they often lead to some
of the best runs, so they turn into a necessary evil!

Pretty much all the lifts here in Scotland are Pomas, but thankfully we've
only got about 8 feet of vert, so it's not really a problem.

Old December 19th 03, 02:18 PM
cupra

Barney wrote:
" cupra" wrote in message
Dismantler wrote:
=20
You'd be suprised at how long some pomas and T-bars are in Europe.=20
I've=20

experienced drags of hundreds of feet
(with 'turns' thrown in for good measure). Needless to say, I avoid
them=20

as much as I can, but they often lead to some
of the best runs, so they turn into a necessary evil!

=20
Pretty much all the lifts here in Scotland are Pomas, but thankfully
we've only got about 8 feet of vert, so it's not really a problem.

Lol!

The old 'sideways' chair at Aviemore has gone now, with the funicular in =
operation, hasn't it?

Old December 19th 03, 02:38 PM
Barney

" cupra" wrote in message
Barney wrote:

Pretty much all the lifts here in Scotland are Pomas, but thankfully
we've only got about 8 feet of vert, so it's not really a problem.

Lol!

The old 'sideways' chair at Aviemore has gone now, with the funicular in

operation, hasn't it?

Yep. The funicular's pretty good, but it does tend to be a bit of a
bottleneck. Sometimes you can wait for an hour to get up to the Ptarmigan.
The Lecht has got a chairlift, and there's two or three at Glen Shee too,
but it's mostly pomas. It does tend to put people off boarding when they
can't even manage to get up the lifts... Some of the pomas are really harsh,
and you can get a good six foot jump in when they start - if you're a
newbie, that can be disastrous!