Say it positive (ly)

Old January 5th 06, 06:51 PM

foot2foot wrote:

Don't cross your tips.

Are you saying I should buy a snowboard?

Old January 5th 06, 10:33 PM

Mary Malmros wrote:

foot2foot wrote:

I firmly believe that no parent should be allowed to use the word "no"
until the child is at least six or better.

Don't have kids, do you?

Mary, that is spooky
Old January 5th 06, 11:16 PM

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 22:47:38 -0800, "foot2foot"
wrote:.

I firmly believe that no parent should be allowed to use the word "no"
until the child is at least six or better.

I agree; "no" is obsolescent if not obsolete, in light of the new
technologies.

http://radiofence.com/shock_collars.htm

bw
Old January 6th 06, 01:39 AM

foot2foot wrote:

I firmly believe that no parent should be allowed to use the word "no"
until the child is at least six or better.

And I wish parents would use it a lot more, and mean it.

--
ant

Old January 6th 06, 01:40 AM

wrote:.

I firmly believe that no parent should be allowed to use the word
"no" until the child is at least six or better.

I agree; "no" is obsolescent if not obsolete, in light of the new
technologies.

http://radiofence.com/shock_collars.htm

I have a friend here who flogs those invisable fences. I wonder if he's
thought of branching out? I'll mention it to him...

--
ant

Old January 6th 06, 02:04 AM

ant wrote:
foot2foot wrote:

I firmly believe that no parent should be allowed to use the word "no"
until the child is at least six or better.

Is he nuts? Lack of simple discipline from parents is a huge problem.
If you can't say no at 6, when WILL you be able to say no?. Never.

And I wish parents would use it a lot more, and mean it.

It nauseates me when I overhear some parents talking to their children.
Their every sentence is a query about the current state of the child's
desires. Yuck.

Dave
Old January 6th 06, 02:47 AM

"Dave Stallard" wrote in message
. ..
ant wrote:
foot2foot wrote:

I firmly believe that no parent should be allowed to use the word "no"
until the child is at least six or better.

Is he nuts? Lack of simple discipline from parents is a huge problem. If
you can't say no at 6, when WILL you be able to say no?. Never.

And I wish parents would use it a lot more, and mean it.

It nauseates me when I overhear some parents talking to their children.
Their every sentence is a query about the current state of the child's
desires. Yuck.

Dave

I don't think F2F means rearing children with a lack of discipline or at
least that's not what I understood. Yes, too many of the parents today rear
their children without any sense of discipline, work ethics, value for money
and giving them immediate gratification without any effort to earn it. It
is the easy way without having to deal with the child's behavior. One of
the biggest problems today is the idea of abuse, if you punish, discipline
or are strict with your child you may be cited for child abuse. I don't
think the masses that spoil their children, foster no discipline and reward
negative behavior do so because of poor parenting skills and falsely
believing they are doing justice to their children.

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old January 6th 06, 03:11 AM

Dave Stallard wrote:

It nauseates me when I overhear some parents talking to their
children. Their every sentence is a query about the current state of
the child's desires. Yuck.

So many parents currently try to negotiate with their kids. I wish they'd
give up, and impose some rules and boundaries. Kids feel a lot more secure
with that kind of black and white, they know their world and they know
someone cares enough to impose rules.
Negotiating with kids is nuts, and it doesn't bloody work.

--
ant

Old January 6th 06, 03:33 AM

"ant" wrote in message
Dave Stallard wrote:

It nauseates me when I overhear some parents talking to their
children. Their every sentence is a query about the current state of
the child's desires. Yuck.

So many parents currently try to negotiate with their kids. I wish they'd
give up, and impose some rules and boundaries. Kids feel a lot more secure
with that kind of black and white, they know their world and they know
someone cares enough to impose rules.
Negotiating with kids is nuts, and it doesn't bloody work.

Agreed. Or trying to include them in every decision. MacDonalds or Burger
King is a question for the kids, but where should we go on vacation is too
much. Should we stay in this town or move somewhere else is just
overwhelming. Don't ask them, they haven't a clue and it just confuses them
as to their place in the overall order of things.

Old January 6th 06, 03:55 AM

JQ wrote:

One of
the biggest problems today is the idea of abuse, if you punish, discipline
or are strict with your child you may be cited for child abuse. I don't
think the masses that spoil their children, foster no discipline and reward
negative behavior do so because of poor parenting skills and falsely
believing they are doing justice to their children.

I do! I think exactly that. It's not fear of the law, it's fear of
being a "bad person", fear of being "authoritarian", fear of their child
not liking them. Fear of their child, period. Pathetic to witness.
I actually find the parent more annoying than the child sometimes. All
their neuroses on full display.

Children need love AND discipline. Take away either one, you've got a
bad outcome.

Dave