K2 Extreme

Old February 12th 04, 09:49 PM
John Speth

Default K2 Extreme

Hi skiers-

I've been using a pair of K2 Extreme 8.3 skis for my tele setup for
over 10 years. They're all worn out and have served me so well I'd
like to just replace them with the exact same skis. They are long out
of production but I figure that somewhere there should be these bables
sitting idle in closets or warehouses.

Does anyone know anyplace I can buy a new (unmounted) pair of K2
Extreme 8.3 at 190cm?

Thanks, John.
Old February 12th 04, 10:57 PM
Traveler

I was going to go into snark mode, along the lines of :
I wonder what the ski industry has been up to in the last 10 years? I
wonder if there is anything new or interesting they've come up with? Do you
suppose they have advanced the art or science of ski tech in the last 10
years? Nah, there's probably nothing better than the same-old....

But I won't. I'll suggest that you look at this as an opportunity: there
are more choices in skis now, and they are lighter, stronger, snappier, more
fun, more whatever-ier...

(I have a fondness for old reliable gear, too. I still use a pair of 14
year old ice axes; as long as I can find replacement picks for them, and
nothing else breaks, I love those things. If I had to retire one, though, I
wouldn't be looking for a "new" axe built 14 years ago...)

So: while you are waiting to find another pair of 10 year old skis, live a
little and try some of the new ones.

Old February 13th 04, 12:16 AM
lal_truckee

Traveler wrote:

(I have a fondness for old reliable gear, too. I still use a pair of 14
year old ice axes; as long as I can find replacement picks for them, and
nothing else breaks, I love those things. If I had to retire one, though, I
wouldn't be looking for a "new" axe built 14 years ago...)

You would if you couldn't get the features you wanted in new gear.
Contrary to you observation, I think skis today are largely me-too skis.
The lengths available are short and shorter; the widths are wide and
wider. The stiffness is soft and softer. The selection is very limited IMO.

I'm with John: try and find what you want - it just might be available.
There was a rush to glom onto popular wave about 10 years ago leaving
lots of ski models surplus in wearhouses. And the hell with me-too
manufacturers.
Old February 13th 04, 02:26 PM

Old February 13th 04, 04:51 PM

Old February 13th 04, 05:04 PM