which Volkl ski best for me ?

Old March 24th 07, 02:12 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Ron - NY

Default which Volkl ski best for me ?

Before you tell me to demo , please humor me . I'm 46, 5'6 about 155 and
would classify myself as a very good skier . I ski mostly in the northeast
in Vermont and very occasionally out west mostly on mainly groomed runs ,
not
much in powder and do about 20 + days a season.I spend most of my time doing
moguls and carving or cruising and guess I would say I'm an aggressive
skier.I currently have some approx. 5 year old 167 cm K2 axis X that have
been beaten to death and have outlived their usefulness and frankly I'm
sick of the wobble I get at fast speeds .I'm noticing how my shaped skis are
thinner and the trend seems to be shorter and wider.I would very much like
to try some volkls . I'm probably going a bit shorter in the hopes that it
will make navigating through moguls slightly easier and these new shorter
and
wider skis seems to be just as fast as my longer thinner skis so I don't
think I'll be giving up any speed . Anyway I'm looking for an easy or quick
turning ski that's good on the bumps that will be stable going fast .
Looking at their website , seems like the obvious candidates would be the
supersport S4 or S5 and the allstar titanium seems more of a racer and less
of a turner . I would LOVE some input from any gearheads or anyone who has
any experience with these skis .
thanx
Ron

Old March 24th 07, 06:10 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Fried

"Ron - NY" wrote in message
Before you tell me to demo , please humor me . I'm 46, 5'6 about 155 and
would classify myself as a very good skier . I ski mostly in the northeast
in Vermont and very occasionally out west mostly on mainly groomed runs ,
not
much in powder and do about 20 + days a season.I spend most of my time
doing
moguls and carving or cruising and guess I would say I'm an aggressive

I was dying to try the AC3 while I was up at Steamboat but they did not have
it so they encouraged
me to try the Fischer AMC 76. I was amazed at the results. I was doing
things like I was never
able to do like going around moguls and quick short turns and plowing
through powder without
much effort.. I'm 5' 9" and weigh 178. I demod a pair of 164s.

These are what I am going to purchase. If I would have had another day I
would have demoed
the Volkl AC3s which they say are similar to the Fischer Skis. For what its
worth I demoed
the Volkl AC4s at 170 and found them to be too much ski for me at 82 mm at
the waist and
could not control them.

So try the Volkl AC3s but if you can try the Fischers as well. If you want
to be more confused
the K2 Apache Recons are also similar at 78mm at the waist. Again if I had
had more time,
I would have given them a try as well.

Hope this helps

Alan

Old March 25th 07, 02:29 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Charles Jutkins

Though I was pointed at the AC3's without trying the AC4's somehow I demoed
k2 appaches outlaws which are 88 cm wide. I really found no downside in
going wide
the ski's gripped well and were loose when you wanted them to be. This
caused me to reevaluate
the AC4's and I ended up buying some on a blowout sale. I am perfectly happy
with them
they are great in powder or crud and still have plennty of edge grip. I did
demo the AC3's
and found them to be a stiffer more locked in feel although still really
great . Its hard to go wrong with Volkl. There are some previous threads
that I started about choosing ski's.

Old March 25th 07, 08:51 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

Ron - NY wrote:
[...]

Try some of the skis the manufacturers' are touting as
"One Ski Quivers". I am currently on Atomic Metron M11-B5
and everything else I own for skis is for sale.

Also try Salomon X-Wing Tornado. Seems to ski similar to
the Atomics but weigh less. The Atomics weigh a ton.

Other manufacturers have similar top end model which tend
to do it all. They are wide and fairly stiff but with
a lot of side cut. I'd try 'em all and decide on one if
I had it to do again. The Metron I tried in the spring
two years ago and was sold then. The Tornado wasn't
available until late last season and the ski shop I do
business with didn't have any. Therefore the Atomics,
which I heart a lot except when I take them off and
carry them.

Anybody tried the Volkl S5? JimK. Alpine Skiing 4 January 22nd 07 01:27 PM
Volkl 7 24 AX-3? [email protected] North American Ski Resorts 2 December 28th 04 09:20 AM
P-40 volkl on e-bay Lucky Alpine Skiing 0 October 30th 04 12:04 AM
volkl larry Alpine Skiing 3 March 29th 04 06:08 PM
Volkl P60 s Marketplace 0 November 9th 03 04:52 PM