Chamonix for a weekend

Old February 8th 04, 07:33 PM
InMyTree

Default Chamonix for a weekend

I'm trying to fit in another trip skiing just for a long weekend and I'm
always wanted to go to Chamonix.. its near Geneva too so surely it's a good
choice for a trip like this

I was thinking of leaving on thursday night after work and returning
preferably the next Monday night, or maybe early on the Tuesday.. I really
would like to get 4 days on the snow and minimal days off work..

Has anyone else done this? How do you go about getting from Geneva airport
to Chamonix (especially that late at night)? Is this even possible?

Any tips would be appreciated..thanks

Old February 9th 04, 08:23 AM
Greg Hilton

"InMyTree" wrote in
:

Has anyone else done this? How do you go about getting from Geneva
airport to Chamonix (especially that late at night)? Is this even
possible?

Yup we did it recently for a stag do, although arrived in Geneva around
7pm.

For *very* cheap basic self catering accom very near to the town centre
we went he

http://www.mountainriders.co.uk/

for transfers we used these guys, although if you hire a car it means
you can drive to/from the ski areas, which will save time/hassle in the
mornings and after skiing.

http://www.a-t-s.net/

regards,

Greg
Old February 9th 04, 10:18 AM
David Off

"InMyTree" wrote in message ...

Has anyone else done this? How do you go about getting from Geneva airport
to Chamonix (especially that late at night)? Is this even possible?

Hire a car of use ATS (Andy Cleaver taxis in Cham). There is no
public transport in the evening.
Old February 9th 04, 10:43 AM
Steve Haigh

InMyTree wrote:

I'm trying to fit in another trip skiing just for a long weekend and I'm
always wanted to go to Chamonix.. its near Geneva too so surely it's a good
choice for a trip like this

I was thinking of leaving on thursday night after work and returning
preferably the next Monday night, or maybe early on the Tuesday.. I really
would like to get 4 days on the snow and minimal days off work..

Has anyone else done this? How do you go about getting from Geneva airport
to Chamonix (especially that late at night)? Is this even possible?

Any tips would be appreciated..thanks

Go for it, it's very easy.

Greg's post mentioned ATS which is a good idea, I've always gone for the
car hire option though. If you are arriving late at night make sure you
book car hire from the Swiss side - the French car hire desks closed at
11pm last time year (I *think* the Swiss Avis desk is 24 hours).

Some chalet owners will arrange to pick you up also, so if you are
stayign in a chalet it's worth asking (we stayed in Les Carroz recently
and the owner said he charged EUR100 each way for a transfer to Geneva)

You didn't say where you were flyng from, but there is a very handy
Swiss Air flight at 8pm from Heathrow to Geneva and a flight back at the
same time. This means you can fly out after work and get to Chamonix
before midnight and you can ski a full day on your last day and still
make the flight home easily.

There are plenty of other resorts within an hour of Geneva too, if for
some reason you decided against Chamonix (Flaine network, Portes du
Soleil, La Clusas, Les Contamines and a few more besides).
Old February 9th 04, 11:50 AM
Playdreamer

"InMyTree" wrote in message

I was thinking of leaving on thursday night after work and returning
preferably the next Monday night, or maybe early on the Tuesday.. I really
would like to get 4 days on the snow and minimal days off work..

Has anyone else done this? How do you go about getting from Geneva

airport
to Chamonix (especially that late at night)? Is this even possible?

I have often done this sort of trip, here is an example of how:
http://www.snowgo.com/archives/2003/...rip_report.php.

You really do need to hire a car though as, if you want to travel after
work, there will be no public transport available. If you want to come back
early in the morning, and there are flights that will get you back without
being too late for work, a good tip is to stay the night before at the
Formule 1 motel in Ferney Voltaire 5 minutes drive from Geneva airport and
very cheap: enter hotel code 0368 at www.hotelformule1.com.

Luke

http://www.snowgo.com