my first try on inline skates

Old August 14th 03, 03:26 PM

Default my first try on inline skates

"Ken Roberts" wrote in message
news

Next challenge is that I'd like the option of putting some slower 80 mm
wheels on them for some kinds of ski-specific training. But the current
wheels have these new micro bearings, so I'm afraid I'll have to figure

out
where to get the right axles to take the other style of bearings.

Ken,

The axles are the one thing you don't need to change to fit non-micro
bearing wheels. Both 688 (micro) and 608 (standard) bearings use 8mm axles,
which is what the TR Mag Elites have. You need wheels with 608 bearings and
standard bearing spacers. Any inline shop or internet supplier has them.
But, unless you fit really crappy bearings (difficult to buy new - extract
from 2 pairs of very old Swedski Classic rollerskis!), you'll hardly notice
any reduction in speed. All 80mm wheels are intended to be fast - there's
only minimal difference between makes. It would be a shame to try to slow
down your skates; why not enjoy the pleasure of them as they are, and revert
to rollerskis for drudgery (sorry, make that hard, productive ski-specific
training).

I'm back in after a morning of cruising on my Salomon TR Mag Elite skates.
The thought of having to get out and work on rollerskis, especially
rubber-wheeled classic ones, I'm willing to postpone until I absolutely have
to. But then my skiing ambitions are less than modest.

You'll find lots of info about skates and bearings (ad nauseam) looking
through the rec.sport.skating.inline newsgroup.

Bill

Old August 15th 03, 04:23 AM
Erik Brooks

"Ken Roberts"

wrote in message

newscM_a.100140$0v4.6927568@bgtnsc04-n
ews.ops.worldnet.att.net...

Next challenge is that I'd like the

option of putting some slower 80 mm
wheels on them for some kinds of

ski-specific training. But the current
wheels have these new micro

bearings, so I'm afraid I'll have to
figure
out
where to get the right axles to take

the other style of bearings.

Ken,

FWIW, my K2 skates, which I bought about
8 years ago, came with 72mm wheels,
which is what the Jenex (V2) slow inline
wheels are also. With 2 of the slow
("Carbonic") wheels on , my skate speed
is close to fast snow speed.

My old skates also accept 80MM wheels,
which I fit for the 2 skate races I've
done. I'm thinking that it's pretty
likely that your skates would accept the
72s. I'm not aware of any other slow
wheels for inlines. I suppose the other
option is to inject some heavy grease
into normal wheels. I've never felt the
need to clean out my wheels, and over
the years, the normal wheels have slowed
down to close to the same resistance as
the Carbonics.

Hope this helps,

Erik Brooks
Seattle

Old August 15th 03, 10:05 AM
Ken Roberts

Thanks for the idea, Erik -- but I'm confused on one point (that may not be
important):
The Jenex website (www.jenex.com/msrp.html) says that the slow Carbonics
wheels are 70 mm, not 72 mm. When I do web searches on other sites for
wheels, it's not easy to find 70 mm wheels -- but lots of 72 mm.

Maybe there's a mistake in the website? Otherwise, what is the right way to
"mix" 70 and 72 mm wheels on the same skate? Or is the difference in 2 mm
just not significant? I'm too new to this inline game to know.

The Jenex website also shows an 80 mm inline wheel (item W 80S). I've heard
that those wheels have slower urethane plastic than other wheels. Any
experience with those?

Ken

Old August 15th 03, 10:05 AM
Ken Roberts

Janne G wrote:
if you where after a "short" wheelbase skate then you picked a long

wheelbase 4-wheeler.

I'm so new to the inline game, I didn't even know there was much difference
in frame length among 4-wheel skates. I just got swayed by the feel of the
boot. I hope the Mag Elite wheelbase is shorter than a 5-wheel skate, so at
least I avoided going that long.

So far, the Mag Elites seem much more maneuverable than rollerskis, so I'm
happy with my choice so far. If it seems like I want more than that, I'll
try your idea of switching frames.

Ken

Old August 15th 03, 02:12 PM
Erik Brooks

Ken,

The Carbonics instructions say to put
them in the frontmost and rearmost
positions, and that's what I've done.
Frankly, I wasn't aware that Jenex calls
them 70mm, though I have noticed
occasionally when I'm just gliding down
a hill and looking at my feet that the
front wheels are not turning, so it
makes sense that they may be a tiny bit
smaller diameter. I always attributed
that to the 'rocker' effect plus my
trying to weight my heels.

Erik

Old August 16th 03, 02:34 PM
Jim Farrell

Ken Roberts wrote:
And a shorter 4-wheel-base for easy quick
maneuvers -- and maybe learning some show-off _tricks_ (an unknown realm for
this newsgroup?)

There is a character around the twin cities who has the bottoms of his
marwe 610's ground up as if he were doing rail slides, ollies up to
retaining walls. He has even added platic corner guards to beef up the
sliding surface. I get a big kick out of imaging him at Third Lair on
the half pipe and pool getting air on roller skis. That's Dave!

(So are there any heat-moldable XC ski boots?)

Almost the entire line of Rossi XC boots from Xium on down to the entry
level touring models are heat moldable. It's a great option for people
with big bone protrusions, bunions, etc.

Jim Farrell

(I ski only profil and pilot however)

Old August 16th 03, 04:51 PM
Jim Farrell

Ken Roberts wrote:
And a shorter 4-wheel-base for easy quick
maneuvers -- and maybe learning some show-off _tricks_ (an unknown

realm for
this newsgroup?)

There is a character around the twin cities who has the bottoms of his
marwe 610's ground up as if he were doing rail slides, ollies up to
retaining walls. He has even added platic corner guards to beef up the
sliding surface. I get a big kick out of imaging him at Third Lair on
the half pipe and pool getting air on roller skis. That's Dave!

(So are there any heat-moldable XC ski boots?)

Almost the entire line of Rossi XC boots from Xium on down to the entry
level touring models are heat moldable. (The foam inside, not the boot
itself --- I really tough fit cases. we can have our boot fitter insert
forming guru shape the shell as well with any brand, i think . . .)