Day Trip Recommendations - French/Italian border

Old February 16th 05, 01:55 PM
Andy Kirkland

Default Day Trip Recommendations - French/Italian border

Hi,

Can anyone recommend good days out along the lines of snowshoeing/cross
country skiing/off piste guiding in the Aosta valley?

Basically there will be 6 of us in Les Arcs for a week until the 5th
March and then are around until the 7th or 8th flying back from Turin.
Initial ideas included:

- Off piste guiding in Courmayeur/Mont Blanc area
- Cross country skiing somewhere
- Snow shoeing somewhere
- Val d'Isere for a day
- Courmayeur for a day

Anyone got any recommendations of what, where and who? We're also after
cheap/functional accommodation in the Aosta area for a couple of nights,
either in Aosta or any nearby ski resorts - any reccomendations.

Thanks in advance,

Andy
Old February 16th 05, 02:44 PM
Ace

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 13:55:50 +0000, Andy Kirkland
wrote:

Anyone got any recommendations of what, where and who? We're also after
cheap/functional accommodation in the Aosta area for a couple of nights,
either in Aosta or any nearby ski resorts - any reccomendations.

Gressoney (MontaRosa ski area). No question. I stay at the Jolanda
Sport hotel, right next to the main lift in Gressoney la Trinité. A
2-star, I think, but not expensive and very good dinners.

- Off piste guiding in Courmayeur/Mont Blanc area

Check (well, almost). The MontaRosa area is probably better for this
anyway. Lots of amazing off-piste/touring skiing in the MontaRosa
area, heli-skiing on, e.g., the Letsch Glacier down into Zermatt,
thence via Cervinia where you can ski all the way back to Gressoney
(well, you need a lift down the road to the ski lift from the friendly
cafe owners above Champoluc).

- Cross country skiing somewhere

It's supposed to really good in Gressoney St. Jean, just a couple of
km down the road. A range of different routes from 2.5 to 8km in
length.

- Snow shoeing somewhere

There's also at least one specific, marked and cleared, winter walk in
St. Jean, and I'm sure there's a lot more possibilities than that if
you have map & compass.

- Val d'Isere for a day

??? It's _miles_ away by road. Four to five hours, via Chamonix or
Torino, as far as I can tell.

- Courmayeur for a day

That's much easier, of course. You might consider Cervinia, which is
just two valleys up, allowing access directly (by ski-lift) into
Zermatt.

I really can't rate the area highly enough and have no hesitation in
recommending it. I know others on here have been and all seem to agree
with my impressions.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old February 17th 05, 12:45 PM
Marco Cattaneo

"Ace" wrote in message
- Val d'Isere for a day

??? It's _miles_ away by road. Four to five hours, via Chamonix or
Torino, as far as I can tell.

Not from Les Arcs it isn't, which is where the guys are starting off from.

Given that the origin is Les Arcs, and the destination is Turin airport,
there are basically two options: Mont Blanc tunnel and Aosta Valley (via
Albertville, Ugine, Megeve, Chamonix) or Frejus tunnel (via Albertville,
Modane). The second option is probably shorter, there are many ski resorts
preparing for the 2006 Olympics in the "Via Lattea" on the italian side of
the Frejus - but I'm not familiar with any of them.

On the Mont Blanc tunnel route, a guide in Chamonix or Courmayeur should
keep you busy at whatever level you are looking for. One good address is the
Hotel Funivia in La Palud, next door to the Mont Blanc cablecar (and guides
office), just out of the Italian side of the Mont Blanc Tunnel (30 EUR B&B
IIRC), and the excellent family run Armandina restaurant next door.
http://www.hotelfunivia.com/php/index.php?lan=_en

If you are travelling light, and by public transport, there is of course an
additional option, to get to the Aosta Valley on skis via La Rosiere and La
Thuile.

Old February 17th 05, 02:12 PM
Ace

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 13:45:11 +0100, "Marco Cattaneo"
wrote:

"Ace" wrote in message
.. .
- Val d'Isere for a day

??? It's _miles_ away by road. Four to five hours, via Chamonix or
Torino, as far as I can tell.

Not from Les Arcs it isn't, which is where the guys are starting off from.

Ahh, I missed that subtle point. D'oh!

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old February 20th 05, 05:46 PM
Steve Haigh

wrote:

Anyone got any recommendations of what, where and who? We're also after
cheap/functional accommodation in the Aosta area for a couple of nights,
either in Aosta or any nearby ski resorts - any reccomendations.

Gressoney (MontaRosa ski area). No question.

Hell yes. But don't tell everyone.

Just got back from there, they need snow pretty badly at the moment (on
piste is fine but hard packed, off piste is not looking good... and
neither are my skis), but it's a fantastic area. Cheap, friendly, great
skiing, great restaurants, easy to get to, v. quiet in the week (busier
at the weekends but we had no queues yesterday - Saturday). Doesn't get
much better IMHO.

I should write up a bit more about the place but (a) I'm knackered and
(b) if you know, you know. Carrying on from an older thread, I'll just
add that a large beer costs from €3.5 - €4.

Steve