Boot fitting advice please

Old February 13th 05, 10:41 AM
Roy

Default Boot fitting advice please

I have just ditched my 3-year-old boots after they started digging (badly)
into one of my ankles. I bought them from Snow and Rock and although until
now they have been a really comfy fit, they were far too stiff for me -
basically they were a racing boot and a bit OTT for me and my skiing
ability. I can ski most terrain, but I'm certainly no racer.

I've decided I'm going for new boots, with comfort my primary requirement.
Can anyone advise me on the pros and cons of getting moulded inners? A
friend suggests that one is better off getting a good-fitting off the shelf
boot because moulded inners can easily lose their shape if (for instance)
you use a boot drier, or otherwise subject them to direct heating. In other
words he is saying that non-moulded inners are more rugged and will better
retain their fit-properties over time.

Any other advice on boot selection would be welcome.

Roy

Old February 13th 05, 10:56 AM
Simon Brown

Hi Roy,

Stupid question but are you wearing these boots too tight? I have bad feet
and for the first hour have the boots quite lose, then as the day goes on I
tighten them up. If I wear them too tight at the start of the day life is
not pleasant. Also they are always warm when I put them on - I leave
electric heaters in the boots overnight.

If they are too tight the dig into my ankles, if that are set up correctly
they are very pleasant.

Also I find that the outside temperature plays a big role, so making sure
the boots are not too tight and yet not too lose is important.
--
Simon Brown
www.hb9drv.ch www.laax.ch

Old February 14th 05, 12:26 AM
Roy

Stupid question but are you wearing these boots too tight? I have bad feet
and for the first hour have the boots quite lose, then as the day goes on

tighten them up. If I wear them too tight at the start of the day life is
not pleasant. Also they are always warm when I put them on - I leave
electric heaters in the boots overnight.

If they are too tight the dig into my ankles, if that are set up correctly
they are very pleasant.

Also I find that the outside temperature plays a big role, so making sure
the boots are not too tight and yet not too lose is important.

Hi Simon

I did the same - wore the boots quite loose early on, and then tightened
them throughout the day. The problem was that the inner boot had become worn
and did not pad my ankle as it once had - my options were to get new liners,
or start again with new boots.

Roy

Old February 22nd 05, 02:15 PM
mutley

"Roy" wrote in message
I have just ditched my 3-year-old boots after they started digging (badly)
into one of my ankles. I bought them from Snow and Rock and although until
now they have been a really comfy fit, they were far too stiff for me -
basically they were a racing boot and a bit OTT for me and my skiing
ability. I can ski most terrain, but I'm certainly no racer.

No personal experience but quite a few posters suggest S&R are good at
boots - take them back (at a slack time) and explain the problem, they may
be able to do something.

I've decided I'm going for new boots, with comfort my primary requirement.
Can anyone advise me on the pros and cons of getting moulded inners?

There's quite a lot of info. about boot fitting on the web, try a search. I
took the liners out of my (comfy) 12 year-old boots this year and was
surprised to find some 'highpoints' which could be smoothed off for an even
pleasanter ride.
HTH
mutley

any boot advice? ex Snowboarding 5 March 16th 05 04:12 AM
more ski boot advice sought Timo Alpine Skiing 6 December 10th 04 10:31 PM
Fischer Centrix Classic Boot - On-Snow Review Tim Kelley Nordic Skiing 26 December 10th 04 07:11 PM
fool mail orders his boots/ski rental rx tom b Alpine Skiing 6 December 9th 04 01:14 PM
snow boot advice: high instep/wide foot Timo Alpine Skiing 13 November 22nd 04 07:10 AM