RFD: create unmoderated newsgroup uk.rec.skiing

Old October 22nd 03, 04:02 PM
Ace

Default RFD: create unmoderated newsgroup uk.rec.skiing

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 17:59:32 +0200, Ace wrote:

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 14:05:41 +0100, Dick Gaughan
wrote:

In on Wed, 22 Oct
2003 09:48:55 +0200, Ace wrote:

Nope, but you must surely be aware that many netizens aren't savvy
enough to work around it. More importantly, regardless of what you
people who feel you 'own' the UK. heirarchy think, discussions about a
new uk. skiing newsgroup should, IMO, be held on the pre-existing
group you seem determined to sublimate.

The people who, as you put it, 'own' the uk.* hierarchy are the
people who care enough to take an interest. Life has a natural
division of effort, everybody gets to take part - those who bother
to turn up get to set the agenda, those who don't get to whine at
those who do.

I'm sorry, but I don't see what business anyone has trying to 'invent'
newsgroups for toipics in which they've expressed no interest
themselves. There's a difference between 'expressing an interest' and
'sticking your nose in'.

I suggest y'all listen to what the real interested parties, i.e. the
skiers and boarders who might be an active part of the proposed ng,
have to say on the matter, rather than just suggesting what you think
might be a good idea.

snip

It then goes to a vote, the democratic
will of the community prevails,

all well and good, but it seems to me, particularly if discussions are
limited to unnc, that if it's the democratic will of a community who
have no specific interest in the group in question it's worth not a
gnat's ****.

Followup set to unnc

Why? Can't you stand the thought of outsiders who are only interested
in snowsports being involved in the discussion?

x-post reset

Old October 22nd 03, 04:51 PM
Ace

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 17:45:17 +0100, Dick Gaughan
wrote:

In on Wed, 22 Oct
2003 17:59:32 +0200, Ace wrote:

Followup set to unnc

Why? Can't you stand the thought of outsiders who are only interested
in snowsports being involved in the discussion?

Ah, thanks for reminding of the element I missed from my
description of how the group creation process normally progresses:

"And there is always at least one clot who, having been offered
several clues by various people, persists in acting like a
complete ****wit and ends up in a large number of killfiles."

Beginning with mine. I don't waste time on idiots.

Monty burns

Excellent.

/Mb

I think that's my first-ever plonk. Proud

x.posted to ukrm just to show off, like

Old October 22nd 03, 09:16 PM
David Off

Ian Spare wrote:

For anyone that's not popped over to the uk group let me give you
flavor :-) It's like RSA on a bad day

Yeah, I noticed that.

The strongest impression you get is of a bunch guys with little or no
interest in Skiing or Snowsports in general who by posting RFD's etc
all over the place seem to want to establish themselves as net gods or
something :-) It's seems there's no particular initial support for
this RFD, it looks like a publicity stunt. Not to say anyone that
thinks it's a good idea shouldn't vote in favor.

oh my gawd, its Suzieflame all over again.

Old October 24th 03, 07:27 PM
Sue

In message , David
Off writes
Ian Spare wrote:
For anyone that's not popped over to the uk group let me give you
flavor :-) It's like RSA on a bad day

Yeah, I noticed that.

The strongest impression you get is of a bunch guys with little or
no
interest in Skiing or Snowsports in general who by posting RFD's etc
all over the place seem to want to establish themselves as net gods or
something :-) It's seems there's no particular initial support for
this RFD, it looks like a publicity stunt. Not to say anyone that
thinks it's a good idea shouldn't vote in favor.

oh my gawd, its

xxxxxxx
all over again.

Don't say it - some ko0ks do blanket searches for keywords like that
one, if they hear you they crosspost your group to one with lots of
their kind of activity.
Usenet - a return to the Age of Superstition!
--
Sue ]
Old October 24th 03, 08:00 PM
Sue

In message , BrritSki
writes

It's a big issue IMHO, if posts are taken from this NG then we could end
up with both being non sustainable.

Yes, especially as it's a seasonal sport, and groups left empty for
months on end can get colonised for other purposes. Soppy binaries of
children with no clothes on, for instance.
So if Pete didn't do grass skiing, somebody else'd have to.

The traffic issues will sort themselves though, one way or another.

Seems to me that the majority of posters here are from the UK originally
even if they don't still live here.

Yes, and I think the number of UK-resident users here is probably more
than we think. This group has that very knowledgeable hard core of
posters who live near the skiing, so it's natural for the rest of us to
sit back and let them tell it.
A group limited to UK-resident skiers would risk sharing everyone's
ignorance!

Let's not forget the UK is part of Europe - we do talk a bit about
Scotland and snowdomes here, but mainly if you live in the UK you're
going to ski on the mainland or in North America.
If it's the Continent you've got experts here (there's always a
Scandinavian around when you need one, too.)
If it's North America you actually want a group with lots of North
Americans so you can get advice from people who live near the skiing
there; then it makes sense to post to RSA (or RSAM if you really can't
stand fools.)

If people want technique threads I'm sure they'll start them - they're
like bumps, they don't spring up until people start skiing.
--
Sue ]
Old October 24th 03, 08:38 PM
Wm...

Fri, 24 Oct 2003 21:00:06
uk.net.news.config Sue

The traffic issues will sort themselves though, one way or another.

Yes.

Seems to me that the majority of posters here are from the UK originally
even if they don't still live here.

Yes, and I think the number of UK-resident users here is probably more
than we think. This group has that very knowledgeable hard core of
posters who live near the skiing, so it's natural for the rest of us to
sit back and let them tell it.
A group limited to UK-resident skiers would risk sharing everyone's
ignorance!

You miss the fact that many uk.* groups have contributors from far
afield.

uk.* groups are not limited to people living in the UK.

Now, what were you saying about ignorance?

If it's the Continent you've got experts here (there's always a
Scandinavian around when you need one, too.)

So? Maybe people want a uk.* group, your group isn't *that* active [1]
and the uk.* one might attract more people to the sports, best to join
in if it happens surely?

[1] that appears to be the fear factor in rsre

If people want technique threads I'm sure they'll start them - they're
like bumps, they don't spring up until people start skiing.

Nothing to do with whether or not uk.rec.[something to do with snow]
gets created.

Next!

--
Wm ...
Old October 24th 03, 09:25 PM
BrritSki

"Wm..." wrote:

Now, what were you saying about ignorance?

Just bring on the vote. 99.9999% will ignore you. I will vote NO.
Old October 24th 03, 09:39 PM
Wm...

Fri, 24 Oct 2003 22:25:08
uk.net.news.config BrritSki

"Wm..." wrote:

Now, what were you saying about ignorance?

Just bring on the vote. 99.9999% will ignore you. I will vote NO.

It has nothing to do with who ignores me, dear

--
Wm ...
Old October 24th 03, 09:56 PM
C.O.Jones

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 23:14:09 +0200, David Off
wrote:

I've nothing against people wanting to set up their own ng but
rec.skiing.resorts.europe pratically is a discussion group for UK skiers.

ditto or rather AOL

It strikes me as being a bit of a waste of effort in trying to set up
a uk. hierarchy skiing newsgroup.

rsre has established itself as a viable ng with a good cross section
of english language posters both from within the UK and, most
importantly, from english speakers (writers?) from across Europe.

I feel that the English skier gains much from the input of the
European based posters such as David Off, Ace, Funkraum , Simon
Brown, Marco Cattaneo to name but a few of the names that have stuck
in my mind. I suspect that they wouldn't necessarily post to a uk.
group which would mean that I would continue to look to rsre for
authorative postings (a relative term... :-)) on the ski resorts that
I'm most likely to visit.

ernest
Old October 25th 03, 06:37 AM
PG

"Wm..." wrote in message
Fri, 24 Oct 2003 22:25:08
uk.net.news.config BrritSki

"Wm..." wrote:

Now, what were you saying about ignorance?

Just bring on the vote. 99.9999% will ignore you. I will vote NO.

It has nothing to do with who ignores me, dear

From the comments made, seems to me that this thread is more to publicise
the new ng than to obtain opinions. More of a fait accompli for the original
poster than a genuine attempt to discover what would be the best option. He
makes the point that uk. groups can be posted to, and read from anywhere.
Precisely - as can rsre. Our current forum has probably a majority of
UK-based contributors who post on a great range of subjects from the
technical to the humorous, but hardly ever off-topic. A resident group of
*experts*, some based in Europe, who contribute regularly. Rarely is a
(sensible) enquiry left unanswered. Overall this forum is one of the best
unmoderated ngs I have come across, although it could do with more traffic
at times.

A new group would be a waste of space imo. Who administrates rsre? All it
needs is a less specific name, and you have a snowsports forum for Europeans
and those interested in visiting Europe, and which is bound to have mainly
UK contributors. So what's the difference, and more importantly, what's the
point?

Pete
www.grasski.org