Idea: 12 Hours of Vasa! (along with a few other ideas)

Old March 7th 06, 03:07 PM

Default Idea: 12 Hours of Vasa! (along with a few other ideas)

I did a long day-ski tour last Sunday and got a few wild ideas out
there in the boonies.

The short version follows...

(But here's a link to the long story---with some nifty pics.
http://outyourbackdoor.com/article.php?id=576.)

Ideas:

*Hold informal singletrack loppets on famous Michigan hiking trails
(that are good for skiing).

*Have a really long singletrack point to point loppet in Michigan, set
up a bit like the CSM. Between ski resorts might work. From Boyne
Mountain to Schuss Mountain is the whole Mackinaw State Forest. Setting
a track between them would probably go 100km. Call it the Mackinaw
Marathon.

*Lastly: What about a "12 Hours of Vasa"? See if we could set up
campsites/trailers at Timber Ridge campground on the Vasa course (well,
the Timber Ridge trails merge right into the Vasa trails). 27km per big
loop. Let's make it dawn to dusk. How far could someone go? We might be
surprised who would do well in such a race. It might bring different
skiers to the front. It would mostly be a "fun" chance for folks to
plain old see how far they can ski in a day. Without going too
overboard like the crazy "24 hours of Telemark" folks. I think a top
skier could go 100 miles. Or maybe we should pull out the stops and do
teams and 24 hours and the works? The main idea is that the campground
along the trails might be very conducive to bonfires, picnic tables,
warming tents and trailers, etc.

Anyway, 100 miles would be 6 laps. Right on the nose! My imaginary plan
for achieving it in 12 hours would be to do a lap every 1hr:45min. Then
for each lap you could stop at your campsite (with bonfire, etc.) and
change clothes, then get a massage for 5 minutes, then take 5 minutes
to sit down at a picnic table and eat, then get rolling again. That's a
15.5km/hr pace to go 100 miles. Not superfast. But not slow. Seems a
TAD too brisk. But really I have no idea.

Maybe it's been done already: anyone know the Vasa trail nonstop
distance record?

--JP

Old March 7th 06, 03:35 PM

24hr solo racing is very popular in mountainbiking, as you might know,
especially in the US.
Laps tend to be ~1hr for the race winner. They try to multiple laps with
little to no stopping, and then have longer pit stops for new shorts and
"real" meals. Change bikes, or have them checked up. A maximum of one set of
ski's would be cool so the support crew only gets to wax your ski's during
the time you're in. Stop long or short? A long stop allows your mechanic to
do miracles for your ski's, but makes you lose lots of time. You'd have to
time it with meals and just hope all goes well in the mean time.

In mountainbiking, promoters are asking ever-higher fees to race. $400 for a
solo rider is not an exception I hear. You get a couple m² for a support
tent and that's it.

Can trails be maintained during a race, like a narrow stretch at a time? Or
can it just survive that long with continious use?

J (The Netherlands)

schreef in bericht
oups.com...