which mountain to move to?

Old January 23rd 04, 04:09 AM
Mike M. Miskulin

Default which mountain to move to?

hey now,

Pot luck survey question..

I'm thinking about moving the winter ops west out of the North Freezer.
Having been to Utah a few times I'm familar with the offerings there.
One trip to Tahoe, but as I understand it property is very expensive.

So.... where else could I go? Here are my "requirements"

1) A lot of terrain, though not all triple black Something on
order of 2500-3000 acres.

2) Someplace where everything is *NOT* left bumped. I ride bumps here
and there, mostly late season. Yes, I'm not that good at them and my
rebuilt knee isn't fond of them in mid season.

3) Decent quality snow, and at least some snowmaking for the lean times.

4) Other mountains within a reasonable distance.

5) Hopefully not a total zoo every weekend

Off hill,

A) Halfway resonable prices nearby the mountain. I don't have to be
slopeside! But would like to be inside a 20 minute drive. A small
house (A frame?) with some property would be cool

B) Some things to do locally outside of boarding. Movie.. more than one
bar.. food.

C) High speed Inet for work (I work online out of home)

D) low crime, no quality of life issues (ie, Rudy's been there)

As I would be spending at least 4 months a year there the offhill
requirements are a bit more important than they were when I took a
condo up in VT which is a short drive back to my home in NY.

So.. what do you guys think? Which mountains are good fits?

mike

Old January 23rd 04, 08:43 AM
TomTom

Powder Mountain is well over 3000 acres with REAL UT snow. Never really
crowded, everybody goes to Salt Lake. Good backcountry with Cat & Shuttle
service. North of Ogden UT. Housing is still very cheap, 4 bedroom new
const. for $150K?

Plenty of other resorts within reasonable driving distance.

http://www.powdermountain.com, check out their "Favorite Pictures" link.

-Tom

"Mike M. Miskulin" wrote in message
[...]

---

Old January 23rd 04, 06:43 PM
toddjb

"TomTom" wrote in message news:r95Qb.8721$bg1.6625@fed1read05...
Powder Mountain is well over 3000 acres with REAL UT snow. Never really
crowded, everybody goes to Salt Lake. Good backcountry with Cat & Shuttle
service. North of Ogden UT. Housing is still very cheap, 4 bedroom new
const. for $150K?

Yup. I agree.
Live down the road in Ogden. You have a great local bar;
http://www.ogdencvb.org/shootingstar2.html
http://www.francescacontreras.com/roadtrip/2001/4c.html

Nice small community. Short drive to the rest of SLC resorts. Sorry,
don't know anything about movie showtimes or internet access.

Oh yeah, and when friends come to visit who want real close big resort
comforts, you can go to Snowbasin which is right down the road. Pricey,
but you have all the creature comforts they could want.

-todd
Old January 25th 04, 03:00 PM
Mike M. Miskulin

Hey there must be some of you in Colorado that
can give some info on your mountains!

mike

Old January 26th 04, 03:31 PM
paul m

"Mike M. Miskulin" wrote:

Yup. I agree.
Live down the road in Ogden. You have a great local bar;

Nice small community. Short drive to the rest of SLC resorts.

Now wait just a second.. bars? Utah? Have things changed that
much in Utah the past few years? Don't want to step on
anyboyd's toes here but my impression was always that the
only bars were in PC and basically the locals looked the other
way?

mike

this is completely and utterly incorrect.

there are a number of very different alcohol license designations that
complicate the *type* of alcohol you can purchase at a licensee in utah,
which adds to the myth and mystery of drinking here, but rest assured,
there are many many places you can get your drink on.

salt lake and ogden have many private clubs where you can get *real*
alcohol, *real* beer (ie more than 3.2) and you can even *smoke* indoors
in some of these private clubs. don't be put off by the private club
membership fee thing.... you usually don't have to pay it if you're a
guest. in addition, many restaurants have full bars or beer only bars,
where you can get some combination of liquor, wine, real beer (called
"hard" beer here), and 3.2 beer.

to say "have things changed that much in utah in the past few years"
lends people to believe this is a new thing mike, which its not. the
liquor laws have been more or less been like this for a long time. yes,
the olympics liberalized things slightly, but it was as easy to get a
drink pre-olympics as it is now.

go here for a good description of the different places you can drink at
in utah, instead of disseminating myth and hyperbole:
http://saltlakecity.about.com/cs/vgg...liquorlaws.htm
(some of this is outdated, or wrong. ie, it says 2.75% alcohol, but
they mean ounces)

or if you want the more legal, dry description, here's the state
website:
http://www.alcbev.state.ut.us/Liquor..._visitors.html

by the way, what i think to be utah's best brewpub, roosters - is right
in ogden on 25th street. i always go there after a day at powder
mountain or snowbasin. their dortmunder beer in the fall, is the best
freaking beer i've ever had. no lie! and the food is really good too.
now if they could just work on the service a wee bit....

as always.. good turns people,
paul

Old January 26th 04, 04:15 PM
paul m

the answer is definitely utah.
lets go through your requirements one by one...:

1) A lot of terrain, though not all triple black Something on
order of 2500-3000 acres.

within an hour from downtown salt lake are 5 resorts with more than 2500'
vert:
snowbasin, snowbird, deer valley (no snowboarders tho), park city and the
canyons.

there are also 4 resorts with more than 2000' vert:
solitude, powder mountain, sundance and alta (also no snowboarders). plus
brighton at 1750' vert.

2) Someplace where everything is *NOT* left bumped. I ride bumps here
and there, mostly late season. Yes, I'm not that good at them and my
rebuilt knee isn't fond of them in mid season.

like anywhere the more popular resorts get tracked out quicker. brighton,
solitude and powder mountain are the three resorts i stick to when it hasn't
snowed for more than a week. there are tree stashes and easily accessed
backcountry available via all three. in my experience snowbird gets tracked
out the quickest, but its also the steepest, so it lures the fanatical
hardcore to itself when it dumps. its a known utah phenomena. *shrug*

3) Decent quality snow, and at least some snowmaking for the lean times.

utah has the best snow. period. almost nobody (except deer valley, heh)
uses a lot of snowmaking. they don't have to.

4) Other mountains within a reasonable distance.

see the above list. plus theres beaver mountain about 2.25 hours away, and
brianhead about oh... i dunno... 3 hours away. hell, jackson hole and
targhee are less than 5 hours away. aspen and silverton roughly 6 to 7
hours away. theres nordic valley in ogden canyon, but the least said about
the place the better.

5) Hopefully not a total zoo every weekend

hmmm... the least visited resorts are definitely powder mountain and
solitude, in my experience. if you don't want crowds, you go there. maybe
sundance too, i dunno that much about their crowds as i've only been there
once.

Off hill,
A) Halfway resonable prices nearby the mountain. I don't have to be
slopeside! But would like to be inside a 20 minute drive. A small
house (A frame?) with some property would be cool

if you live in salt lake or one of its "suburbs" then housing can be very
cheap. if you live in one of the remote areas, you can get some land and
still keep it cheap. if you want to live in park city, or the cottonwoods,
expect to pay for it. ogden valley near powder and snowbasin as someone
suggested is a good compromise as you can still get some decent land up
there for a reasonable price. although its getting developed quickly, which
means the price is going up.

B) Some things to do locally outside of boarding. Movie.. more than one
bar.. food.

all of the above. and more.

C) High speed Inet for work (I work online out of home)

theres dsl, cable, and even highspeed wireless in some places. do *not*
count on it tho, in the canyons or more remote areas.

D) low crime, no quality of life issues (ie, Rudy's been there)

i'm from detroit, and salt lake and its surrounding environs are so safe as
to become almost boring to me.

As I would be spending at least 4 months a year there the offhill
requirements are a bit more important than they were when I took a
condo up in VT which is a short drive back to my home in NY.

So.. what do you guys think? Which mountains are good fits?

okay, then heres one closing thought. where do most snowboard and ski pros
live?
its usually one of two places. utah, or whistler. tahoe is a distant third.
and theres a reason for it. the reality is that more pros live here because
this places is a great combination of *easy* access to *great* snow.
period. thats why i'm here.

we get the most snow.
we get the best snow.
we have the best access to the greatest number of resorts.

bada-boom! done deal!

thats my spiel. don't flame me please. its just my personal opinion.
good turns,
paul

Old January 27th 04, 01:45 AM
Mike M. Miskulin

paul m wrote in
:

bada-boom! done deal!

thats my spiel. don't flame me please. its just my personal
opinion. good turns,
paul

Ha.. quite the complete brochure.. think the Utah tourist
bureau may be contacting you soon

Actually the reason I didn't comment further on Utah is I have
been out there twice, though last in 01, so I am somewhat
familar with all the mountains except Powder. But as you
noted earlier, I had some misformed ideas about drinking
da beers

I was interested in hearing more about Colorado as I've only
been to Snowmass and Copper and its a little bit closer than
Utah. My (perhaps incorrect) impression of what I saw was
that because the mountains are somewhat further apart they
all tend to have their own surrounding communities which are
mountain oriented. Tahoe, even though I had a great time there,
I think would be out because of $$ and the extra distance. Never
really thought of Canada, probably because of the critter of a dog
I would have to get through customs.

Cheers

Mike
Old January 28th 04, 12:25 AM
Chris J.

"Mike M. Miskulin" wrote in message
Hey there must be some of you in Colorado that
can give some info on your mountains!

mike

Here's some Southern Idaho info for comparison:

This is Boise's local mountain: http://www.bogusbasin.com/. Good variety of
terrain and generally decent snow - typically dry and light, relatively
plentiful this year but has been somewhat inconsistant the last couple of
years. Can get crowded on weekends but we all have our secret spots.
Excellent night program. The park gets better each year. $200 season passes.
About 45-60 minutes from downtown.

Sun Valley is 2.5-3 hours drive depending on weather. Huge mountain,
world-class snow making and grooming, new halfpipe, kinda spendy. Best bet
in the early season.

There are a few smaller mountains within 2-3 hours that are fun for a change
of pace - and no crowds. Soldier Mountain (http://www.soldiermountain.com/),
Anthony Lakes (eastern Oregon)(http://www.anthonylakes.com/), Pomerelle
(125-147 base right now!)(http://www.pomerelle-mtn.com/).

And my personal favorite, Brundage Mountain (http://www.brundage.com/), is
about a 2 hour drive - excellent terrain, excellent snow, low-key vibe, no
crowds (holiday weekends the possible exception).

There's a new resort opening next winter between Boise and Brundage, called
Tamarak. Will be about 1.5 hours drive, and is being billed as more of a
destination resort like Sun Valley.

Backcountry options abound.

Also, it's about a 5 hour drive from here to SLC, Mt. Bachelor, Targhee, and
Jackson Hole. 6-7 hours to Big Sky and Tahoe.

Northern Idaho looks interesting but my experience up there is more limited.
Schweitzer is AWESOME and the town of Sandpoint is beautiful. Silver
Mountain is a smaller resort nearby that I've heard good things about. From
Sandpoint you're just a couple hours from Fernie and Kimberly BC, Big
Mountain near Whitefish, and some of the Washington hills might be within
reach as well. Unfortunately the drive from southern to northern Idaho is
long (about 9 hours) so I'd call these two different candidates.

Good luck!

Chris

Old January 29th 04, 05:47 PM
Chris Stringer

Hey Mike,

I feel like I need to put in my pitch for Bend and Mt. Bachelor. I
have ridden all over the country and I think Bend is one of the last
great ski towns. Living is affordable, the mountain rocks and is
still under $45 for a day of skiing, and we get tons of snow.
Portland is only 3 hours away and you have Mt. Hood and Tahoe within a
reasonable drive. Bend has a decent high-tech scene and the people
here are great. If you skate, there is an indoor park here in town
and a concrete park down the road in Redmond. Also great mountain
biking and rock climbing, both sports I have found myself taking up
since moving here.

Chris Stringer
RDCShop.com Online Board Shop
Bend Ski and Board Sport